AD4X4 planning to run our yearly GPS Hunt 11 event to sharpen the skills in navigation, leading, time management and team work of the members of the club.
For anyone curious to know what it’s all about, search "GPS Hunt" and you will find lots of info from our previous events.
We would anticipate that between 8 and 10 teams.
The GPS Hunt is an internal event organized by a group of marshals, explorers, experts and advance, purely to help develop and train their fellow off-roaders / club members on the best of their knowledge in this adventurous sport.
THE CONCEPT OF THE GPS HUNT: The concept of the event is simple, imagine you are in a big two circles, the starting point of the drive is at the center of the circle and the checkpoints are scattered all around that circle. Each team will be given a set of GPS waypoints in club format and each team needs to work together in finding their way to the next checkpoint. Each team will be free to choose the next destination in that circle. Each check point will be flagged and will have a stamp/code/word that you have to use in order to prove to the organizers you have reached that check point.
This event is NOT A COMPETITION. AND THERE ARE NO PRIZES.
- Date: Sat. January 29, 2022.
- Area: near Abu Dhabi (max 60 minutes from Dubai and Abu Dhabi).
- Aim: train AD4x4 teams for Desert Navigation.
- Start of event: 9 am at base camp. you need to present before time.
- Finish: 6 hours of desert driving, 1-2 hours of preparation,
- briefing, feedback, pre and post drive chat.
- Max No. Of teams: based on Marshal support
- No. Of members per team: 4
- No. of Teams: For safety reasons and with club rules, ALL teams will have a Marshal and therefore we will base initial sign-ups based on the number of Marshals in attendance. But expected to be 10 teams
- Teams: Each team will have four cars. There WILL be 1 x Advance (or higher) and 1 x newbie, whilst the other drivers can be newbie or intermediate. Members will register individually first, then the teams will be formed based on instructions that will be published later. 1 Marshal per team to act as support, monitoring and guidance.
- TEAM LEADERS PLEASE CONTACT ALL YOUR TEAM MEMBERS FOR LOGISTICS, TIMING and EQUIPMENT
- Recovery team: will be many marshals floating around the area. In case of problems, lead can be assumed by the supporting marshal in order there are still minimum 3 cars in the group.
- Track: Newbie level. Not questions, it’s in the logbook and Marshals will enforce this for safety reasons.
- Fees: FREE
- Prizes: NONE
- Extra fuel: not required but optional
We will stay for an hour or two afterwards to chill and chat if you are interested to stay.
Time Schedule: -
- Meet Point:
- All the members will be coordinate with the team leader and make sure to arrive at the meeting point “coordinate will be provided later”.
- Meeting at 8:00AM
- Start: 9:00AM sharp at basecamp
- (it will take 25-30 minutes to get from the nearest ADNOC to the meeting point, so be fueled and ready to leave) the marshal/team leader who will bring you to the camp will not wait for late arrivals so Team leaders (Advance, Expert and Explorers), your team is your responsibility (part of trip management).
- 8:30: All participants will be briefed and provided with maps and co-ordinate lists - Marshal briefing and Recovery team briefing
- 9:00 AM THE EVENT WILL START
- Drive time: 5-6 hours
- 4pm all teams should be heading back to base camp ARRIVING NO LATER THAN 4.30pm
- Scoring and feedback
- Late afternoon / Evening – for those who wish to stay some of us may BBQ or sit and chat.
IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE PLEASE REGISTER. YOU WILL BE INFORMED WITH YOUR TEAM NUMBER TWO DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT in order we make sure all teams are as evenly matched.
PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS INVOLVED.
- The most important item – THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION, there are no prizes. The aim is to get teams working together, learning navigation, convoy and time management and being mostly self-sufficient.
- The teams will set based on the size of cars and driving skills, this is to achieve the maximum out of this learning experience. This will mix new members with experienced members all with two goals, experience and fun.
- TEAM LEADER: Please ensure that you contact your team members in the following days and confirm their attendance, if anyone cannot make it, please let me know as soon as possible and we can offer this place to someone on the waiting list. From this point on, you need to think as a team. As with any trip that AD4x4 as a club runs, teams of less than 3 members cannot participate.
- Teams need to CHECK carefully THE EQUIPMENT LIST and ensure they have all equipment and cover all requirements, any team with missing equipment will NOT be allowed to participate. ALL cars ARE checked prior to driving therefore, no equipment means no drive (and that includes a correct spare tire)
- Members on the waiting list If you want to join at the base camp, you are more than welcome, we will have a nice gathering, just let me know beforehand. We do not want people turning up on their own as the area will have many groups navigating the dunes, so safety is priority. Members will register individually first, then the teams will be formed based on instructions that will be published later.
Notice: Please Check FAQ below for team formations Scoring: There are two types of checkpoints:
- Easy: less points for passing through them
- Medium: you get more points passing through them, but they may be further or in more testing areas.
- Important notice: Any team arriving after the finish time will be penalized in points for every minute of delay.
- The Terrain: In General, the whole area where the event will be located is easy to moderate in difficulty and most members will have driven there before.
- Each team should be completely self-sufficient; you should carry your own supplies, GPS’s and recovery gear.
- Your team should be able to deal with tire pop-outs, broken flags and other off-road related incidents. With the exception of mechanical breakdowns & accidents, teams that require physical assistance from the organizers
- Extra fuel is not required.
- You are to travel with your convoy of four cars at all times and in convoy. If you are in a situation where you have to break your convoy you have to alert the organizers otherwise you will be disqualified from the event
- If you are late in the morning you will be also penalized
How to register:
- Register on the trip.
- For the time being, we will accept ONLY the 1st 10 of each of the following grades (newbie and intermediate), the 11th and after will be on a waiting list and no guarantee he/she can participate. This may change if there is additional support from Marshals.
- The team must be four members, one leader (advanced/expert/explorer), one (Marshal) and two additional drivers.
What equipment do I need?
- Flag and pole (for each team member)
- Communication device (for each team member)
- Recovery equipment to include as a minimum rated snatch strap, rated shackles, gloves, spade, jack, jack plate d. spare tyre (matching size for your car)
- Vehicle to have suitable recovery points
- Front and back f. pen/pencil
- Pressure gauge & deflators
- GPS device (mandatory 1, preferably 2 for each team)
- basic first aid kit
- Air compressor (at least 2 per team) (The list is mandatory for safety and good practice)
AD4X4 Trip Rules Apply...
By agreeing to register for this trip you have read, understood and agreed to the AD 4x4 Indemnity.
If you have any questions, then please contact FidoDido on 0502001035.
Wishing you the best of fun and good luck.