GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Anything related to Navigation and Questions
User avatar
scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:28 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by scotchyl »

The Montana should have wireless capability but only for communication with other Montana and this is how to share POI or tracks.

I would upgrade road maps. Also Birdseye is a must. GPS is not just for tracks but to see where Farms are or nearest exit in an emergency.

On Birdseye you can save tracks POI etc in folders and email to others in a GPX format.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

User avatar
scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:28 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by scotchyl »

Buy car mount as battery may not last and that's bad if it's emergency.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

User avatar
Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:28 am
Location: Abu Dhabi

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by Zeebzog »

Hi,

Desert Dawg is the AD4x4 expert and there is a navigation forum that answers a lot of your questions. However very quick answers below:

1. If used for driving and you do not have a Middle East map you will need one.
2. I use power supply continuously when in the car. However if the holder you used is the one which has the built in speaker then when you stop the GPS will point you in the direction towards the speaker since it is magnetic, once you get moving the satellites takes over again as opposed to the compass and you will be fine.
3. I customized the interface to suit m needs.
4. Waypoints yes, this can be done directly from the device. The POI not directly but if you have create a CSV with the POIs to upload using POILoader from Garmin then yes you can share the POIs.

Regards,
Lee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal
Posts: 1301
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by DesertDawg »

Thanks Lee and Andy for helping Piotr out.
1. Should I use standards maps which come with device or purchase additional maps
Regarding Garmin maps... see my PM to you (will send later from home)

Please look at the navigational forum; especially this: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21039

I have also created custom maps for Sweihan East and West. These are on that forum as well.

Dave
Travelling in my truck...

User avatar
F16
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by F16 »

piotr_s wrote:Good Morning All,
This issue has already been discussed but I would like to refresh
I join to fun level (intermediate)  – can You recommend me some GPS device or application (including maps etc.) ?
Some of You use Garmin or similar devices some of You recommend application for iPhones iPads. I You will be so kind can You recommend what to use … 

PS
What You thing about Garmin eTrex 20x ?
Many Thanks in Advance
Good day all ...
I am looking for a 2018 update on this topic. In short what android offroad mapping app can be used till i get a garmin.


Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
F-16
Flying Falcon

User avatar
Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:28 am
Location: Abu Dhabi

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by Zeebzog »

Oruxmaps and backcountry. However you will currently need a proper device to get a sign off for navigation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
F16
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by F16 »

Looking for 2018 response to this discussion... any decent android app that you can recommend
F-16
Flying Falcon

User avatar
MegaMoe
Founder No. 1
Founder No. 1
Posts: 3695
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:00 am
Location: Abu Dhabi
Location: Somewhere!
Contact:

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by MegaMoe »

F16 wrote:Looking for 2018 response to this discussion... any decent android app that you can recommend
oruxmaps and backcountry; but ftom experience nothing beats a standalone gps Montana 610 or 680 and 276 c or cx

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., mobile1 0506213955, mobile2 0504440307
Great White Shark: Jeep Commander HEMI, Bullet: VW Golf GTI ABT Sportbahn

User avatar
F16
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by F16 »

Thanks zeebzog .. i well try
F-16
Flying Falcon

User avatar
kman
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am
Location: Abu Dhabi

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by kman »

futureshock999 wrote:As a multi-decade sailor, I can say there is one large difference between an iPad and a true GPS - ruggedization.

If you are SURE that you will only use your GPS for a few dozens of off-road trips, and usually with another leader, then by all means use an iPad. They are fairly reliable, GREAT screen (that does suffer a bit in sunlight and can be reflective), and the GPS applications are very, very good.

But if your truck breaks down and you have to hoof it out, it's not what you want to be carrying. If you roll your truck, I would trust the GPS (especially the Montanas) to survive most anything. And if it comes to getting wet, no question, the iPad is toast, a ruggedized GPS will not even notice. And if you drive with your windows open and like getting sand in your eyes (I do often), then forget the iPad...it's not sandproofed against those ultrafine particles, and will eventually have issues.

For many people, these are moot points. For others, they like knowing they have a survivable, and more portable solution.

Additionally, the Garmin apps such as Basecamp are very solid, and more importantly, STANDARDS within the club at marshal level. If you cruise the navigation forums on this board, you will find waypoints and routes with instructions to load them into Garmins. Not sure how compatible they are with other apps. But being able to take Desert Dawg's map of Sweihan and load it up on a Garmin in 2 minutes is a very, very nice trick. Not sure how well that works on random apps on the iOS devices.

Last point, the Montana 650 has been superseded by the new 680 (which I just bought), which is physically identical but adds the ability to lock onto Russian GPS satellites as well as the American sats. This gives you better accuracy, and more reliable position fixes. I don't believe ANY iOS tablet can lock onto the Russian satellites...
All new recent cellular iOS devices support GPS and GLONASS including iPad Mini 4. iPhone 8 and later also add support to Galileo (European) and QZSS (Japan) in addition to GPS and GLONASS. If you have an older device it can be easily enhanced with a lower cost accessory like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M49G80/re ... TAbBYFGGF1

iPhones are now also IP67 water/dust resistant which can of course be augmented with rugged cases.
There are also a number of smartphone apps which take GPX files and import them. Garmin and others are quickly losing ground to smartphones/tablets. There may still be reasons why one would go for a dedicated GPS unit but not for long. The software war has already been won by Apple’s and Google’s platforms and their hardware continues to grow its presence in the marine, aviation, military and general consumer space.

I know the rules here are you have to have a dedicated GPS device if one would like to progress up the ranks but I am curious to understand what are the reasons behind it.

Regards,
Kman

User avatar
MegaMoe
Founder No. 1
Founder No. 1
Posts: 3695
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:00 am
Location: Abu Dhabi
Location: Somewhere!
Contact:

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by MegaMoe »

kman wrote:
futureshock999 wrote:As a multi-decade sailor, I can say there is one large difference between an iPad and a true GPS - ruggedization.

If you are SURE that you will only use your GPS for a few dozens of off-road trips, and usually with another leader, then by all means use an iPad. They are fairly reliable, GREAT screen (that does suffer a bit in sunlight and can be reflective), and the GPS applications are very, very good.

But if your truck breaks down and you have to hoof it out, it's not what you want to be carrying. If you roll your truck, I would trust the GPS (especially the Montanas) to survive most anything. And if it comes to getting wet, no question, the iPad is toast, a ruggedized GPS will not even notice. And if you drive with your windows open and like getting sand in your eyes (I do often), then forget the iPad...it's not sandproofed against those ultrafine particles, and will eventually have issues.

For many people, these are moot points. For others, they like knowing they have a survivable, and more portable solution.

Additionally, the Garmin apps such as Basecamp are very solid, and more importantly, STANDARDS within the club at marshal level. If you cruise the navigation forums on this board, you will find waypoints and routes with instructions to load them into Garmins. Not sure how compatible they are with other apps. But being able to take Desert Dawg's map of Sweihan and load it up on a Garmin in 2 minutes is a very, very nice trick. Not sure how well that works on random apps on the iOS devices.

Last point, the Montana 650 has been superseded by the new 680 (which I just bought), which is physically identical but adds the ability to lock onto Russian GPS satellites as well as the American sats. This gives you better accuracy, and more reliable position fixes. I don't believe ANY iOS tablet can lock onto the Russian satellites...
All new recent cellular iOS devices support GPS and GLONASS including iPad Mini 4. iPhone 8 and later also add support to Galileo (European) and QZSS (Japan) in addition to GPS and GLONASS. If you have an older device it can be easily enhanced with a lower cost accessory like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M49G80/re ... TAbBYFGGF1

iPhones are now also IP67 water/dust resistant which can of course be augmented with rugged cases.
There are also a number of smartphone apps which take GPX files and import them. Garmin and others are quickly losing ground to smartphones/tablets. There may still be reasons why one would go for a dedicated GPS unit but not for long. The software war has already been won by Apple’s and Google’s platforms and their hardware continues to grow its presence in the marine, aviation and general consumer space.

I know the rules here are you have to have a dedicated GPS device if one would like to progress up the ranks but I am curious to understand what are the reasons behind it.

Regards,
Kman
ofcourse reasons now are not as before; as u mentioned mobile phones are catching up but yet not at the same level if dedicated GPS; a simple thing would be single point of faliure; not all phones rugged; not all software used for navigation are user friendly specially for beginners and also the fact that u're on thr phone talking wont help when u really need to navigate; put aside power, storage and to have a common platform between all.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., mobile1 0506213955, mobile2 0504440307
Great White Shark: Jeep Commander HEMI, Bullet: VW Golf GTI ABT Sportbahn

User avatar
kman
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am
Location: Abu Dhabi

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by kman »

Thanks, MegaMoe.

All these make sense. If I could address the single point of failure with a second phone or a tablet (which I already have), would that be acceptable? I’m really trying to avoid spending $500 for yet another device that does a specific thing redundant to other 2/3 in the car. If anything I would rather put that money towards a Garmin inReach Explorer with sat com capability for real emergencies. Which is btw not a “proper” navigation unit as per online reviews.

User avatar
MegaMoe
Founder No. 1
Founder No. 1
Posts: 3695
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:00 am
Location: Abu Dhabi
Location: Somewhere!
Contact:

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by MegaMoe »

kman wrote:Thanks, MegaMoe.

All these make sense. If I could address the single point of failure with a second phone or a tablet (which I already have), would that be acceptable? I’m really trying to avoid spending $500 for yet another device that does a specific thing redundant to other 2/3 in the car. If anything I would rather put that money towards a Garmin inReach Explorer with sat com capability for real emergencies. Which is btw not a “proper” navigation unit as per online reviews.
you can

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., mobile1 0506213955, mobile2 0504440307
Great White Shark: Jeep Commander HEMI, Bullet: VW Golf GTI ABT Sportbahn

User avatar
Ajesh
Expert
Expert
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:43 am
Location: Abu Dhabi

Garmin 12h - Advice please

Post by Ajesh »

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

I have myself been looking at different choices and am happy with my experience with Motion x/maverick and trying wikiloc from next drive.I also understand and agree with the criticality of having a functional GPS device at all times.

I spoke with the AUH AMIT guys and they suggested that I look at Garmin 12H as well.

It seems to meet the requirements discussed here in the thread and has below specs

Physical dimensions: 2.6” x 6.0” x 1.2” (6.6 x 15.2 x 3.0 cm)
Display size: 2.6” diagonal (6.6 cm)
Display type: 4 level gray LCD
Weight: 7.16 oz. (203.11 g) with AA batteries (not included)
Interface: USB and Serial
Storage: 1,000 waypoints and 100 tracks
Battery life: Up to 18 hours with 2 AA batteries (not included)

While the price is definitely cheaper than montana, the downside seem to be no access to GLONASS, grayscale display and smaller screen.

Look forward to your thoughts and what critical Real World features might I be missing out on , if I go with this device over a Montana .
-
Ajesh
FJ Cruiser
055.681.0679

Post Reply