NAVIGATION!!!!

Anything related to Navigation and Questions
Jitterz
Intermediate
Intermediate

NAVIGATION!!!!

Post by Jitterz »

Hey all...

I need your help... I am looking to buy a good (or the best) navigation system out there in the UAE market to install into my FJ cruiser...
I was told that garmin should be my best bet... i worked with that and visited GITEX at the dubai expo but they all had navman and only one place had MIO... Any suggestions on the model i should be looking at and where can i find it.
I need the navigation mainly to go offroad so it has to support that.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

regards :ugeek:
JITMYSTER!!! ;)

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: NAVIGATION!!!!

Post by mike0967 »

http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php ... 6C#p165116

from a discussion 2 weeks back and I still say 276c https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=233 ;) But I dunno the new 620 :oops: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=14893 but looks great.

Actually for offroading it is recommended to use marine units because of their robustness and resistance against splash water, dust and sand.

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

Re the gpsmap620, do a search on 4x4 forums in the usa, there were some issues with these around tracks...cant remember exactly, but
put me off, also touch screen with sand flying in the windows(as happens occassionally) not a good mix.....
Good luck...

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

mike0967 wrote: Actually for offroading it is recommended to use marine units because of their robustness and resistance against splash water, dust and sand.
Mike
I agree!!

Marine units are designed for use in wavy sea conditions and can take a beating... much sturdier than on road units. Plus the marine units usually have more extensive navigation software.

I have a Garmin 276c and am very happy with it ... this is the unit most ad4x4 will recommend you!

Jitterz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Jitterz »

Thanks for the leads guys... really appreciate it.... now all i need to know is where did u buy the units from... I think plug ins should have it... Any suggestions??
JITMYSTER!!! ;)

Jitterz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Jitterz »

THE 276C is a discontinued model... I missed my chance to buy it... The 620 is "bleeping" expensive... I am now "stuck" with no low gears and "DIFF LOCK"....
JITMYSTER!!! ;)

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

hey, 276c may stilll be available at mena, give me a call for directions, but it is long way from cheap, but best... .
cheers
sean

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

Try AMIT store in Mena Zayed...

Drive past past the fishmarket and go through the gate. Keep going strait and you will find AMIT store at the end of the road. They are the dealer for Garmin in Abu Dhabi.

I bought mine in Carrefour :mrgreen:

Jitterz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Jitterz »

Excellent.... Mena Zayed port right... first round about left... through the gate then left i assume... (right would lead me off to the sheesha cafe at the end)... does this sound right???
JITMYSTER!!! ;)

mamoun
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mamoun »

Jitterz wrote:Excellent.... Mena Zayed port right... first round about left... through the gate then left i assume... (right would lead me off to the sheesha cafe at the end)... does this sound right???
no that's is wrong the round about make a UTurn then trafick light go right then the 1st exit to the right go straight u will find a small round about go left drive straight u should see the fish market in ur left hand go all the way straight till the end u will find the shop in ur right hand in the corner
+971509988737
Stock JKU

Tawalbeh
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Tawalbeh »

By the way, I'm considering buying a 276 now. If any one wants to sell his used 276 or trade it off/exchange with my Nuvi 710 (with price difference considration). Call or PM me ....Thanks
It is about what is right not who's right
BANNA WAS A GOOD MAN..MISSED BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN

Jitterz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Jitterz »

excellent....thanks a lot guys... this is a lot of help.... CHEERS
JITMYSTER!!! ;)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Last sunday I have been to "Al Jazeera" next to the fish market main hall (the other Garmin Dealer) ...
THEY HAVE THE 267C brand new for AED 3600 (english version)!

(I am happy with my AED 999 Garmin Oregon 300 though ... water and dust proof ... with touch screen which is a trade off, but c'mon in the car cradle how many times will you RUB with sandy fingers on a sandy screen???)
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Chafik, believe me, when you are leading a convoy on long trip, then you start to touch your GPS a lot... :twisted:

@ Delma in Al bateen, 2 unit of 276C available (3700AED before discount), also available 76SCX and 78S... :mrgreen:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

xof wrote:Chafik, believe me, when you are leading a convoy on long trip, then you start to touch your GPS a lot... :twisted:

@ Delma in Al bateen, 2 unit of 276C available (3700AED before discount), also available 76SCX and 78S... :mrgreen:

:lol: somehow funny ... somehow we are perverted :mrgreen: in certain situations we start touching something a lot :lol:

now seriously I agree: of course the 276C IS THE BEST ... as I said anything Garmin touch is a trade off.

My personal choice at that moment was between :
1. no Garmin at ALL, only MoitionX GPS software on the IPhone (cooool software but device VERY sensitive to heat and sand)
2. spend 3600 AED for the REAL thing (discontinued and now more than double the original price :x )
3. compromise with a good deal ... Oregon 300 is discontinued and I got a good discount at Carrefour (from 1400 to 999).

I PERSONALLY went with option 3 ... :mrgreen:
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808