Anything related to Navigation and Questions
piotr_s
Advanced
Advanced

GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by piotr_s »

Good Morning All,
This issue has already been discussed but I would like to refresh
I join to fun level (intermediate)  – can You recommend me some GPS device or application (including maps etc.) ?
Some of You use Garmin or similar devices some of You recommend application for iPhones iPads. I You will be so kind can You recommend what to use … 

PS
What You thing about Garmin eTrex 20x ?
Many Thanks in Advance
--
Piotr_S
JKU /055 267 17 33

Saif1
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Saif1 »

I had Garmin Montana 600 which was burnt due to some reasons not related to the device. I got an ipad mini, installed Motion X application (not available for Android) & I discovered a new level of fun with this great application. Just make sure you have an appropriate holder & you are fine ;)
I hope this will help
Regards.

"Good is enemy of great"
Saif
Prado SWB V6
Saif
Prado SWB V6

"Leadership cannot be given... It must be Earned... It cannot be taken... You loose it by lack of performance"

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: GPS application or GPS device - Advice please

Post by Allan »

Most have Montana 600 or 650 the more hardcore will have a Garmin 376c

While I know a number of people have had issues with over heating, I have never experienced this, maybe because the front screen in a JK is more vertical than in other vehicles.

Our guru on Navigation, maps and GPS's, DesertDawg, has designed a shield consisting of an open yoghurt container, which serves as a shield for heat and reflections.
JK
056 174 4147

iqsaan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by iqsaan »

piotr_s wrote:Good Morning All,
This issue has already been discussed but I would like to refresh
I join to fun level (intermediate)  – can You recommend me some GPS device or application (including maps etc.) ?
Some of You use Garmin or similar devices some of You recommend application for iPhones iPads. I You will be so kind can You recommend what to use … 

PS
What You thing about Garmin eTrex 20x ?
Many Thanks in Advance
The requirement is that your GPS device is able to store way points . (and tracks for reference if required ). I am not familiar with the eTrex range however if it does the above you should be fine.

Most of the club's senior members use the Garmin Montana600/650 . The difference being that the 650 model has a camera while the 600 does not
I've had my Montana650 for over a year now and am pleased with the performance and will strongly recommend the device.
Garmin has subsequently released the Monterra which has enhanced capabilities to the Montana but I have not seen one in action yet. You can get specifications of all devices on the Garmin website for comparison.
Prado
052 9061636

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

I also use an ipad mini (must have 3G/4G capability) and motion x app with Google hybrid map downloads - it works great and much more usable for me than garmin because of the screen size. But the ipad can shut down if it gets too hot so it's not always reliable on trips where you need to shut off your AC! This is with a windscreen mount, I'm hoping to try a cup holder mount and this should solve the problem..

Otherwise, perfect and a better use of money in my opinion as the ipad can obviously be used for different things as well.
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

Same amount of money you spend on Garmin 600 or 650. Will get you an iPad. Install motion x. You have wider screen. Yet better device and you don't keep the device dummy in your car waiting for your next trip,,,,
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Saif1
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Saif1 »

Gladiator wrote:Same amount of money you spend on Garmin 600 or 650. Will get you an iPad. Install motion x. You have wider screen. Yet better device and you don't keep the device dummy in your car waiting for your next trip,,,,
Can't agree more :)

Regarding the heat, you can try the cup holder mount & you will be fine.

"Good is enemy of great"
Saif
Prado SWB V6
Saif
Prado SWB V6

"Leadership cannot be given... It must be Earned... It cannot be taken... You loose it by lack of performance"

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

If you need a reliable GPS then by a GPS not an IPAD - if you want an IPad with options go for whatever you want and download whatever you think is great for you. But again, it will be an IPad with a nice application not a GPS.

Go for Montana 650 - just don't keep it in the car - take it home when you are not off-roading.

You can use the IPad to check Your social media programs or play your downloaded games. But not as a GPS.

This is my PERSONAL point of view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

Avoid a Monterra, I got one initially and had nothing but problems with stability and getting the GPS to work properly. Now have a Montana 650, I also believe the 650 has a bit more memory for maps than the 600, but might be wrong. Very pleased with it. Zero issues and very reliable. The screen can also be seen even in bright sunlight.

piotr_s
Advanced
Advanced

Post by piotr_s »

Many Thanks for all Yours advices !!

I go for 2 ways (I pad I have ) so I will purchase motion X also I will use (for test and comparison ) Garmin eTrex 20x (also I have it)
PS
Garmin eTrex have option to store 2000 way points and can support all Garmin maps.

After test I will decide what to choose (application or Garmin)

PS
There is any other GPS system/device than Garmin ?
--
Piotr_S
JKU /055 267 17 33

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

I had the Montana 650'and it was fantastic, never failed in the 3 years I used it. Also base camp and Birdseye, whilst you must pay for the satellite imagery it is great.

I upgraded to a Monterra and I have had issues. Mainly it was the connectivity with pc when linking to base camp however recent update seems to have remedied it. It is a new device and bear in mind that Montana is older and therefore all bugs have been fixed. The Monterra has a much higher resolution screen and therefore at close range, ridge details are possible.

Downside of the iPad is connectivity and heat. We require a GPS which will constantly work and as such if it overheats or lose your 3G what do you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Saif1
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Saif1 »

scotchyl wrote:I had the Montana 650'and it was fantastic, never failed in the 3 years I used it. Also base camp and Birdseye, whilst you must pay for the satellite imagery it is great.

I upgraded to a Monterra and I have had issues. Mainly it was the connectivity with pc when linking to base camp however recent update seems to have remedied it. It is a new device and bear in mind that Montana is older and therefore all bugs have been fixed. The Monterra has a much higher resolution screen and therefore at close range, ridge details are possible.

Downside of the iPad is connectivity and heat. We require a GPS which will constantly work and as such if it overheats or lose your 3G what do you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just a small add here.... you don't need to be connected 3G all the time. Download load UAE map offline first & then go anywhere you want.
Regarding the heat, yes it is true that Montana can do better than ipad but as mentioned (cup holder or if you have a sunroof, you can mount the holder to the sunroof as what I do currently).

Anyways, try both & choose what is more convenient to you ;)

"Good is enemy of great"
Saif
Prado SWB V6
Saif
Prado SWB V6

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

I use the sun and the stars. Works well combined with my Montana which I have used now for 3 years without any issues. My Nokia Lumia is good back up since it is a real GPS that dones not need an internet signal.
Desnav team: Whassup? with Waqmaster and Triplod.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 doors for the dunes
Spidertrax lift kit, Old Man Emu suspension, Mopar Cold Air Intake, extra radiator for transmission, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, KC lights, more stuff to come.
2012 Mustang convertible for the highway and speeding tickets
Predator cues for the pool table (Samsara for play, BK2 for break, Air for jump, Predator case)
Black Belt in Karate
PADI Rescue Diver and Nitrox certified
Super hot wife, 3 cats: one weird looking Sphynx, one crazy fat Arabian Mau and one we are not sure about but not a whole lot smarter
nineballwizard on PS4 Call of Duty games

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Proud to be Marshal with best club in UAE

Fahar

Post by Fahar »

I use iPhone with motionX .. Looks fine for me since i only do normal off-roading 30 to 50 Km only.

I dont know if it will fail if i go further and i never tried a garmin before for off-roading.

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

As Saif mentioned an ipad that's 3G or 4G capable includes proper GPS thingy just like a phone, sim card or data connection isn't required you just download the maps you want at home one time and you're good to go.

Admittedly i agree with Islam, if I was really relying on navigating myself or leading I think garmin device is safer and more reliable, but for my use when majority of time in desert I'm following a leader it's fine - good for learning and recording way points/tracks, cost effective and useful all week at home for tv, music, internet etc :)
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100