Louvers for Bonnet

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Louvers for Bonnet

Post by Chuck »

Hi Guys,

i want to make some Louvers in my Bonnet to avoid to much heat under my Hood during summertime.

One of my friends in germany made this ones for his Wrangler

The finished Hood

Nice, ha ? They are looking cool and also keep the engine cool :D

Thats where he got them from
http://www.louvers.de/speedlook/index.htm

Can anybody tell me where i can get such louvers in Mussafah
, or does anybody know a company which has this machine for pressing them into metal ?

I will make them in more square type placed only on the passenger side near to the Front window.
Image <br><br>Image<br>

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

I don't know where to get them from, but I can see that they will not only pass cool air but lots of SAND as well....
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

khaiwi wrote:I don't know where to get them from, but I can see that they will not only pass cool air but lots of SAND as well....
I thought about to put them near to the windshield on the passenger side where i do not expect so much sand to be thrown in. Underneath i can also install a small pan to avoid sand being come to the engine.

Anyway, i found already something what will fit. I have on my construction site some left over grills ( from a sandfilter ) in exactly the way i need them. I will post the installation.

If anybody is interested, i have a lot of them left over and can give them away for nothing.

Let me first try how it comes out and look.
Image <br><br>Image<br>

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Chuck wrote:
khaiwi wrote:I don't know where to get them from, but I can see that they will not only pass cool air but lots of SAND as well....
I thought about to put them near to the windshield on the passenger side where i do not expect so much sand to be thrown in. Underneath i can also install a small pan to avoid sand being come to the engine.

Anyway, i found already something what will fit. I have on my construction site some left over grills ( from a sandfilter ) in exactly the way i need them. I will post the installation.

If anybody is interested, i have a lot of them left over and can give them away for nothing.

Chuck, you know my answer. Try it first and I will be next :lol: :lol:
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

iguana wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Chuck, you know my answer. Try it first and I will be next :lol: :lol:
I know, it developes that i m becoming to be a real pioneer. :D

I will have it ready on friday for a first look by the emperor ( but not painted yet ) sorry master. :wink:
Image <br><br>Image<br>

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Chuck am really interested if you have a solution to avoid the sand from entering the ngine compartment. Anyway the bonet needs denting so I would take advantage and do this mod as well.....

Awaiting the updates..
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

khaiwi wrote:Chuck am really interested if you have a solution to avoid the sand from entering the ngine compartment. Anyway the bonet needs denting so I would take advantage and do this mod as well.....

Awaiting the updates..
You can be sure that i will post all related things directly here. I have to do it before friday because the new engine should not get too hot as the old one did.

Do not expect it to be perfect for friday, i just do whatever is needed to have it practicable for the first.

Regarding the sand ( and also water ! ) i will put the louvers on a place in the hood where nothing "vital" is under ( electronic or something).

My friend Wolfram ( from whom the pictures are ) is a hot blooded Jeep offroader which is doing a lot of mud drives with his YJ. The fins ( the open area ) are directed towards the windshield, so under normal conditions nothing will come inside the engine compartment.
Image <br><br>Image<br>

adiga
Deputy Chairman & Co founder
Deputy Chairman & Co founder

Post by adiga »

Don't 4get me :thankyou:
“Do for this life as if you live forever,
do for the afterlife as if you die tomorrow”

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

Chuck, do not forget your twin Jeep XJ.

:thankyou:
Khaldoun Amro

-OlllllllO-

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

kkamro wrote:Chuck, do not forget your twin Jeep XJ.

:thankyou:
How could i ever forget you and the Silver Brother of my red one ? :wink:

I will start to do the works on the hood in about one hour.
Image <br><br>Image<br>

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Just before the Status was like this:

The Louver, cutted out from a bigger plate. I removed the black colour and cleaned it a little already.

The hood, still untouched.

The Louver will be mounted in about this postion.

I will place the Louver flash to the hood, so it will look as made out of one piece without having edges.
I believe it will look quite nice after the hood and the louver is painted.

The good part of it, during the repair of my rollover damage the guys from the Garage made scratches to the hood by laying there tools on it. They promised to paint also the hood already weeks before.
So, everything can be done now in one time. :D
Image <br><br>Image<br>

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

I think it'll look very nice Chuck 8) but is one enough ? i mean will it make a difference ?

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

abdalla wrote:I think it'll look very nice Chuck 8) but is one enough ? i mean will it make a difference ?
I hope so. You know that warm air always goes to the top and without an opening where it can go there will be a "heat-jam".

The air from the ventilator and the air which comes into the engine compartment during driving will be "pressed" thru this grill.

The most important thing is that the air can escape to somewhere ( no air is compressed ) so that fresh and cool air can pass thru more easliy.( as much as possible ).

Maybe the opening is a bit small, but i want to keep it low profile. If it is not enough i can add one more on the drivers side easily. :D

The reason why i put it nearby the Windshield is, because there the air is very warm already and it is far away from the ventilator as well.

If i would put it near to the ventilator the cooling effect of the ventilator would be reduced because the air there is still somehow "cool" and blown out thru the Louver. Nearby the windshield area but still the air stays hot and get jammed.

I hope that my thoughts are right. :?:
Image <br><br>Image<br>

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Ummm ... Okay Chuck the jammed air theory sounds good

the location ,,, am not an expert .. but i dont think i've seen louvers in that exact location .. most of the ones i've seen are above or near the engine block

and yes i hope your thoughts are right also .. wish you all the best man :wink:

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

looks nice.
u can cut the hole into the bonnet ,big enough only to fit the louvers , rivet from bottom , or weld , however u want to do it.

check for areas of heat under the hood , there are some pics online , but im having trouble accessing anything from dubai internet , especially posting on ad4x4.
Laurie on oman4x4.com has some pics of areas of high and low pressure under the bonnet.

i used stainless steel marine air intakes turned backwards for mine . powdercoated them black , but havent used them yet , since i didnt need to ever since replacing my radiator.

u can place them there , which is pretty much over the headers , or u can put them in the area of low pressure behind the radiator i think...on wranglers jst stick them on the sides , left and right , midway between headlights and windshield & they do work.