ARB AIR LOCKERS

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ARB AIR LOCKERS

Post by Mac »

Right then, the jeep bug! that Iguana warned me about. Just reading about ARB Air Lockers. I am NOT technically minded, I may be a Class 1 Police ( Retired) Advanced Driver but this does not include off road! What are the benefits, will I have cause to use them? If so, when? and how much??? Khaiwi, were you using yours yesterday whilst digging out on the crest of the dune? How much are they anyway? Just fitted new padded Jeep armrests, big difference. Thanks Mal
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Re: ARB AIR LOCKERS

Post by khaiwi »

malpatt wrote:Right then, the jeep bug! that Iguana warned me about. Just reading about ARB Air Lockers. I am NOT technically minded, I may be a Class 1 Police ( Retired) Advanced Driver but this does not include off road! What are the benefits, will I have cause to use them? If so, when? and how much??? Khaiwi, were you using yours yesterday whilst digging out on the crest of the dune? How much are they anyway? Just fitted new padded Jeep armrests, big difference. Thanks Mal
Oh dear Mal,

As u said Iguana has already warned you and there u go.....

Lockers is a big topic that we had several threads about sometime ago, so if you run a search on this forum you will get lots of threads to read. In the meantime I will try to make a short reply.

Generally speaking:
- 2wheel drive is in fact 1 wheel traction
- 4wheel drive is in fact 2 wheel traction, one front and one rear
- 4wheel drive one diff locked is 3 wheel traction, two on the locked diff and one on the other
- 4wheel drive two diffs locked is 4 wheel traction

The above is true if you have open diffs which is the case in many 4x4's, however some like the wrangler have the stock rear diff with LSD (Limited Slip Differential) i.e. both rear wheels will have traction upto a threashold where they disengage to allow the car do the turns.

Diff lockers or selectable lockers will be mostly used when stuck, crested and sometimes if the sand is too soft you keep the rear lockers engaged.

Cost of each locker e.g. ARB about 3000Dhs plus air pump for the lockers about 500Dhs. Installation is about 1000Dhs per ddiff. Mind you, in most of the cases as you are spending on the diff installation labor, you tend to change the gear ratio so you recover the torque you lost by slamming bigger tires on the original Ring and Pinion ratio. Now this extra mod will cost around 3000 for both diffs (you can't change the R&P ratio on one diff only)

Hope I have answered you. Otherwise feel free to ask about further details.......
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

Thanks Khaiwi, nearly as cheap as replacing front/rear bumpers on a Land Rover!!! Oh here we go again.
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

malpatt wrote:Thanks Khaiwi, nearly as cheap as replacing front/rear bumpers on a Land Rover!!! Oh here we go again.
LOL its a jeep thing
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Mal, I was trying to find something nice and easy on the net which will give you a complete easy idea about it. But Khaiwi answered you so professionally .. so I think you got it by now ..

I can see from your signature that you already got the bug .. People who are infected like us loves to show off with their modifications and normally try to add everything they modify in their signature .. I think after 6 month you will start complaining like us that the signature does not allow me to write everything :lol: :lol:

To enjoy the bug more, you have to serch the net for any modification that could be done and find a new idea, you will learn alot and you'll be spending most of your time on the net and your wife will hate AD4x4 :lol: :lol: :lol: I advice you to start with the 2 links that surfer had added in his thread http://www.ad4x4.com/modules.php?name=F ... opic&t=783 they are ver useful and will tell you lots of things

The air lockers are normally used by extreme drivers to save them from extreme stucks like Khaiwi when he was trying his lockers on the top of the dunes or used by people like me who does not like to get stuck any way. However, I advice you as Khaiwi said to regear your Ring & Pinion as it will really add torque to the car .. With your 31" tires, you will need a 4.11 gear ratio

ARB are great and easy, but have lots of leaking problems ... Khaiwi have OX which are manually operated and they are trouble free ...
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com