Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
surfer
Advanced
Advanced

jeep mods, the big confusion

Post by surfer »

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Im confused here, please help me out.

Its been less than one month since i got my wrangler, so im still new to the jeep world (i had one few years back, but not much mods).

so i went ahead lifted the car by 2.5", changed the shocks, fitted the car with 31" tires, borla exhaust and catback, K&N filter, bigger throatle body and went to drive it in the desert (been doing that with my patrol earlier).

I went with overboost and other 3 jeeps to alfaya. Overboost recently bought a 98 wrangler (yes, the jeep bug got to him, as i said earlier, megamoe is infected people somehow through the web site) fitted with borla catback, filter, rancho 9000 shocks and starfire tires (small tires, almost stock size). My car is way higher than his.

I tried to climb alfaya big sand dune a number of times, max i reached was around 30% even after deflating to 6PSI

Today overboost tried his car and reached around 75 % of the same sand dune. with around 13PSI

Help me out here, i thought that a car with bigger tires and lift would do better, but i was wrong.

Myself and overboost were thinking of going with 32" tires and regearing to 4.56, but now we are both confused, will the car perform better or not??? is it worth it ?????

Guys, could you confuse us more here.
The jeeper is back.

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

i climbed alfaya big sand dune on d and 8psi on my kumho 33 tyres and i've regear to 4.56. 4.56 will definitly be an advantage specially if u also added lockers.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

hemmm ,, well surfer i guess your confused about why did overboost's jeep went higher than yours while yours has more mods than his jeep

i cant really tell ,,, but why dont you switch places ,, let him drive your jeep and you drive his and see wht happens ... maybe your not doing it right ... :?: :!: its worth a try i guess

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

abdalla wrote:hemmm ,, well surfer i guess your confused about why did overboost's jeep went higher than yours while yours has more mods than his jeep

i cant really tell ,,, but why dont you switch places ,, let him drive your jeep and you drive his and see wht happens ... maybe your not doing it right ... :?: :!: its worth a try i guess
Its not the driving style, i tried all combinations, i can do it with my patrol. My guess its the tire.
The jeeper is back.

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Alfaya was done when I was still runnin the 31" and stock diff gear ratio. On 4-low, start on 3rd and then 4th gear the jeep will take you to double the height of the faya.

After regearing to 4.56 and 33" AlFaya sounds like a piece of cake, though I am not into climbing fun, but during our marshals trip to LIWA, we were simply looking for the highest available dune to touch its tip with no exception and all our marshals proudly did that with no failure. :ad4x4:
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Okay ,, did you do them at the same time

i mean was the condition of the dune the same ?

you have the BFG A/Ts right surfur .. its one of the best tyres

Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

Post by Hani AMJ »

As Kiwi said, a stock wrangler shouldn’t have a problem climbing that dune at faya. I did it with my wrangler when I had the stock tires from the dealer using 3’rd gear LOW. I guess it depends on the condition of the dune it self. I’v experienced poor performance on high dunes my self but my clutch was almost warn out. If you have manual gear try pressing the clutch with your right foot. If you feel it’s extremely heavy then that could be your problem..

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Well Surfer, I re-geared my car after taking my car to the first offroad trip. So actually I had no experience in stock gears and tires performance and I though that climping is always easy on a Wrangler. I never used my Low gear unless I am going on a really high dune where I normally do as Khaiwi said, 4LO, 3rd gear and maybe shift to 4 if needed.

Yesterday I was with the guys in the camping trip, we were playing in an area called Malborough Dunes (I think). Malpat who got him self a Brand new Wrangler Wild Fire was not able to go up a high dune (Which was actually a difficult one). This was his problem:
- Tires on 20 PSI - we went down to 12 PSI.
- Going on Hi Gear 1st, 2nd and then the car loose power. We went to 4Li, 2nd, 3rd and push the car.

With a Damaged track and few turning with the steering, the car went actually higher than what he wai aiming. So as Khaiwi said, this is the trick 4Lo 3rd - 4th Gear.

Regearing, will do the trick and the car will go anyweher.

And by the way, I thought that you told me that you will not spend money on modification when you bought the car :wink:
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

FearUAE
Advanced
Advanced

Wellllllll . . . . . . . !

Post by FearUAE »

This is what i think, Boss surfer: next time when you go to al-faya, try first to park your car in a side and climb the dune WALKING, if you reach the top, have that goood smile of yours and go back home safely, but to be in a safe side :tell the people that you already climbed it in a low gear (Walking) with no problem at allllllll. . .. . . .. . ." the trick of the day"" waaaaaw

Shame on you man: 10 years of crusing in the naked desert & still al-faya is your target.

Master Khaiwi: i think its the time to take this guy far from al-faya----bedayer route . . . . . !

Brother Abdalla: i think you hurt surfer feeling when you said change the driver . . . poor surfer !

Have Fun Brothers . . . . . . . !
:D :D :D :D :P :P :P :D :D :D :D
Smile Is the Silent Voice Of Your Heart !

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Wellllllll . . . . . . . !

Post by surfer »

FearUAE wrote:This is what i think, Boss surfer: next time when you go to al-faya, try first to park your car in a side and climb the dune WALKING, if you reach the top, have that goood smile of yours and go back home safely, but to be in a safe side :tell the people that you already climbed it in a low gear (Walking) with no problem at allllllll. . .. . . .. . ." the trick of the day"" waaaaaw

Shame on you man: 10 years of crusing in the naked desert & still al-faya is your target.

Master Khaiwi: i think its the time to take this guy far from al-faya----bedayer route . . . . . !

Brother Abdalla: i think you hurt surfer feeling when you said change the driver . . . poor surfer !

Have Fun Brothers . . . . . . . !
:D :D :D :D :P :P :P :D :D :D :D
Fearuae, I l already did what you said but long time ago. Back in 1993 when you were our ambassador in the US i was happily crusing in that area (in my brother's 92 LC) and came across alfaya big hill, we parked our cars next to it and started climbing it on foot and reached the top on 4WD, it was bigger back then, but we did it.

Im not talking about any challenges here, i can do it in the patrol, but i was wondering why the wrangler can not and it is worth it to upgrade to 32" and regear to 4.56.

Iguana, it seems that my MOI will take all my ATM and credit cards one day and cut the internet cables, they think i spent only few thousands so far, i cant help it, the bug is eating me alive, anyone found a cure yet :cry:

I just came from robbie's workshop, went to pick up bolts for the hook (always looking for something to buy for the car, hellllllllllp)
The jeeper is back.

FearUAE
Advanced
Advanced

Surfer; my friend . . . . !

Post by FearUAE »

YOU NEED TO BE CURED MAAAN . . . . . . . . . ! ----------- ! Give me your ATM card instead ! as you know master khaiwi already announced order # 5 !

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

FearUAE, i know surfer is an expirenced driver ... years b4 me too, but what i meant is that he got the wrangler just a while ago ,, and am sure driving a wrangler is not like driving a patrol ... thats what i meant

But anyways ,,, Sorry surfur :)

FearUAE
Advanced
Advanced

No No No . . . . . .. Brother

Post by FearUAE »

I know the guy he is definitly hurt now badly & the only thing to get him back is a good dinner invitation, " iquana could join as well"" , by the way, surfer used to have wrangler till 2003 when he did a biiiig mistake & sold it out......... !

Any way, brother Abdalla:just till me when & where the dinner will be so i can arrange myself as well, . . .. . . . . .!

The Smile is Always is Counted & It Is Always Nice To Keep The Smile.

Inshallah will meet one day In A trip . . . . . . !

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

7a`6reen Ya5ii :D

when and where ... Hemm anytime you and the guys are in AlAin :wink:

yeah Bro ,,, for sure we'll meet inshalla :)

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Wellllllll . . . . . . . !

Post by Kris »

surfer wrote: I just came from robbie's workshop, went to pick up bolts for the hook (always looking for something to buy for the car, hellllllllllp)
glad to see you worked it out with Robbie for your hooks. :wink:
happy with Robbie's Garage overall ?