Bought New Jeep Cherokee, need help

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Bought New Jeep Cherokee, need help

Post by XJ »

Hello every one, FINALLY, i found my dream a Jeep Cherokee Classic 2000 model, it is stock and need some maintenance.

I live in Abu Dhabi, do you know somebody specilized in jeeps to do maintenance and also i need the following:

1- 4 new tires, what do you suggest guy's, any particular models that you tried before (my current size 235/70/16)

2- the recoery points is weak or small, what the best solution beside installing ARB bumpers.

3- Do you suggest to change the radiator to bigger one for not to get over heat issues (i know not all jeeps gets over heat but i want to clear this issues rather than get over heated in desert, if it requires)

4- do i need and mods, or it should be good for sand dunes.

Need a very good mechanice that really knows jeeps and familier with our offroad trips and how we have to have our cars.

Please help and thank you for your help.

:oops:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Congratulations on the new car. You will love it.

Now for the tires & recovery points, Diver just bought a 2001 2 days ago, and he is shopping for the same, he can help you.

Mechanic, call me to check what exactly you want because we are using different people for each specialization. My number is 050 6224377
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Abo Omar
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Bought New Jeep Cherokee, need help

Post by Abo Omar »

kkamro wrote:
3- Do you suggest to change the radiator to bigger one for not to get over heat issues (i know not all jeeps gets over heat but i want to clear this issues rather than get over heated in desert, if it requires)
Congrats mate ... the 2001 Cherokee is a lovely car ...
Usually over heating problems happens with the american or german specification (it is not a must though) Gulf specs cars are just doing fine ...
Meanwhile the weather is cool so i don't think u will need any changes before June...

Good luck and mabrook...
Omar Kamel-Member # 007

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Hi kkamro,

i am soooo happy that i am not the only one which loves the boxy styled Cherokee. Congratulations man for that beautyfull car.

What colour is it ? Thats my Baby in Germany. Its a 2000 Limited in Black and in perfect shape.

Ok ok, i have to cool down now.

To your questions:

1. You have those 16" five spoke rims on. For that rims you will get not that much tires like for the 15" rims. Try the Pirelli Scorpions. Good tires for a reasonable price. Do you want to go bigger ? There are some possibilities, but it depends on what you are looking for.

2. I believe the stock recovery points will do it. If you really want to go for better ones, you might have to make custom mades. But thats not a big deal at all.

3. My experience after 5 Cherokees since 1990. No overheating so far. I will put an additional electric fan in my red one, because of the stroker. But so far my stock one is perfectly ok. In summer it will get hot here under the hood, but so far even then i did not get any overheating.

4. Put a lift kit if you really want to make Dune bashing. And it looks cool also. There are some possibilities like installing the ZJ ( old Grand Cherokee ) Springs and AD A leafs in the rear ( for cheap ). If you want to spend more money, get a lift kit with 2" or 3".

Check this, http://www.ad4x4.com/modules.php?name=F ... 4&start=90
that is my red one here in Abu Dhabi and i put a 3" lift from Rubicon Express in with 31" tires.

For the mechanic, i know a really good one in Mussafah. I believe it is the same that Iguana means. :D

Cheers

Uwe ( addicted to Cherokee )

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

Chuck wrote:Hi kkamro,

i am soooo happy that i am not the only one which loves the boxy styled Cherokee. Congratulations man for that beautyfull car.

What colour is it ? Thats my Baby in Germany. Its a 2000 Limited in Black and in perfect shape.

Ok ok, i have to cool down now.

To your questions:

1. You have those 16" five spoke rims on. For that rims you will get not that much tires like for the 15" rims. Try the Pirelli Scorpions. Good tires for a reasonable price. Do you want to go bigger ? There are some possibilities, but it depends on what you are looking for.

2. I believe the stock recovery points will do it. If you really want to go for better ones, you might have to make custom mades. But thats not a big deal at all.

3. My experience after 5 Cherokees since 1990. No overheating so far. I will put an additional electric fan in my red one, because of the stroker. But so far my stock one is perfectly ok. In summer it will get hot here under the hood, but so far even then i did not get any overheating.

4. Put a lift kit if you really want to make Dune bashing. And it looks cool also. There are some possibilities like installing the ZJ ( old Grand Cherokee ) Springs and AD A leafs in the rear ( for cheap ). If you want to spend more money, get a lift kit with 2" or 3".

Check this, http://www.ad4x4.com/modules.php?name=F ... 4&start=90
that is my red one here in Abu Dhabi and i put a 3" lift from Rubicon Express in with 31" tires.

For the mechanic, i know a really good one in Mussafah. I believe it is the same that Iguana means. :D

Cheers

Uwe ( addicted to Cherokee )
Dear Chuck, thank you man, i really like the boxy jeeps, it so cool, now my main target to get it works really good mechanic wise, i have make service on it and change tires, i have the five spokes rims, so Iguana advised me with the perillie scorpoins, looks like that what i will go to, is it good in desert?

the color of my jeep is silver and it is Gulf one not imported, but unfortunatly i will not register it until week from now, man i have to wait because the owner has to send poer of attorny for the seller to complete the sale, so i do not know how i will sleep until it comes, man :cry:

But at the end i will get.

I think i need to try it few times in the desert to see about the lift, what do you think if i keep it stock it should be also good on sand dunes?

Man i am so glad that i found a good one, i have been looking for the past 30 days.

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Bought New Jeep Cherokee, need help

Post by XJ »

Abo Omar wrote:
kkamro wrote:
Congrats mate ... the 2001 Cherokee is a lovely car ...
Usually over heating problems happens with the american or german specification (it is not a must though) Gulf specs cars are just doing fine ...
Meanwhile the weather is cool so i don't think u will need any changes before June...

Good luck and mabrook...
Thanks abo omar :o :o :o

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Mabrook, U can call ALyasi 7 prformance 050 6993379 Hisham 050 7527606 Walid they can help in checking and modifiying your car
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Dear Chuck, thank you man, i really like the boxy jeeps, it so cool, now my main target to get it works really good mechanic wise, i have make service on it and change tires, i have the five spokes rims, so Iguana advised me with the perillie scorpoins, looks like that what i will go to, is it good in desert?

the color of my jeep is silver and it is Gulf one not imported, but unfortunatly i will not register it until week from now, man i have to wait because the owner has to send poer of attorny for the seller to complete the sale, so i do not know how i will sleep until it comes, man :cry:

I think i need to try it few times in the desert to see about the lift, what do you think if i keep it stock it should be also good on sand dunes?

Man i am so glad that i found a good one, i have been looking for the past 30 days.

Hi kkamro, Silver ?

Thats the one of the coolest colours at all !! I love the Cherokee in Silver, and than with the five spoke rims, a dream. :wink:

GCC Specs, very good. So i think you have already a second fan in. The Pirelli Scorpions are very nice, but in 16" you will not get the same style like in 15"! They look different, a little more "normal" like the ones i have on.

With the registering: man i understand your feelings about waiting for one week more. Its a torture, but maybe you can use the time to look for parts ( like tires ). If you want i will help you, and you can have a look to my Cherokee too, for getting some ideas.

If you keep it stock ( what you not will do, believe me :D ) you just can put on tires in the max. sixe of the stock ones. If you want to go bigger without a lift, you will get scratching when you go to the desert. I had the same, but i didnt care about it. I knew that i will install a lift kit with 3".

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

Chuck wrote:Dear Chuck, thank you man, i really like the boxy jeeps, it so cool, now my main target to get it works really good mechanic wise, i have make service on it and change tires, i have the five spokes rims, so Iguana advised me with the perillie scorpoins, looks like that what i will go to, is it good in desert?

Hi kkamro, Silver ?

Thats the one of the coolest colours at all !! I love the Cherokee in Silver, and than with the five spoke rims, a dream. :wink:

GCC Specs, very good. So i think you have already a second fan in. The Pirelli Scorpions are very nice, but in 16" you will not get the same style like in 15"! They look different, a little more "normal" like the ones i have on.

With the registering: man i understand your feelings about waiting for one week more. Its a torture, but maybe you can use the time to look for parts ( like tires ). If you want i will help you, and you can have a look to my Cherokee too, for getting some ideas.

If you keep it stock ( what you not will do, believe me :D ) you just can put on tires in the max. sixe of the stock ones. If you want to go bigger without a lift, you will get scratching when you go to the desert. I had the same, but i didnt care about it. I knew that i will install a lift kit with 3".
Dear Chuck, i would love to look at your jeep and talk about idea's, keeping mine stock, mmmmm....... i dont think so, please PM your telephone number.

Yes thats why i talking to every one to see ideas and start preparing for my big day, i have my brand new MRV and man it is letting me down, it is not that great in the desert, i am scratching, i need to drive in the desert, i can not wait :x

DiVeR
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DiVeR »

Mabrook KK. So now i'm not the only one with a recently purchased Cherokee. I just got a 2001 sports. And the good news is that i just put on the new Tyres after shopping around for 3 days. I got 255/70-15 KUMHO POWER TR :wink: :wink:

Man, they changed the look of the car 8) 8) . Unfortunately, My jeep doesn't have recovery points. I found a workshop who can put it in Mussafah, but it will need like 3 hours and 400 Dirhams, i don't know about your car. Here is my Jeep before the new tyres and number plates

diver@ad4x4.com (Member #70)

Two amazing places: Underwater & Offroad

Karim
:geek:

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

DiVeR wrote:Mabrook KK. So now i'm not the only one with a recently purchased Cherokee. I just got a 2001 sports. And the good news is that i just put on the new Tyres after shopping around for 3 days. I got 255/70-15 KUMHO POWER TR :wink: :wink:

Man, they changed the look of the car 8) 8) . Unfortunately, My jeep doesn't have recovery points. I found a workshop who can put it in Mussafah, but it will need like 3 hours and 400 Dirhams, i don't know about your car. Here is my Jeep before the new tyres and number plates

Mabrook Diver, me and Islam was taling about you, i got the SAME color exacly what a coinsidance, where did you bought the tires from and from where.

Also about the recovery points, i have recovery point at the front but not on the back, mine is gulf style jeep not wared, so what they are going to do for you exactly.

Are you going to do any mods on yours.

also you said that you put 255/70/16, is it wider that 235/70/16, becasue the ones that i have on it now 235/70/16, and does it scratch or not?

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

I hate you guys. Why do you have this nice Silver colour and i dont ? :crying:

Ok, i am quite happy with the red :roll: :D

kkamro, you will get recovery points for the rear at the junk yards in Mussfah for small. I did it the same but i do not have one on the front so far. Maybe Diver can help me to see how it has to be shaped. Can you tell me the shop in Mussafah which produced yours ?

DiVeR
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DiVeR »

kkamro wrote:
DiVeR wrote:Mabrook KK. So now i'm not the only one with a recently purchased Cherokee. I just got a 2001 sports. And the good news is that i just put on the new Tyres after shopping around for 3 days. I got 255/70-15 KUMHO POWER TR :wink: :wink:

Mabrook Diver, me and Islam was taling about you, i got the SAME color exacly what a coinsidance, where did you bought the tires from and from where.

Also about the recovery points, i have recovery point at the front but not on the back, mine is gulf style jeep not wared, so what they are going to do for you exactly.

also you said that you put 255/70/16, is it wider that 235/70/16, becasue the ones that i have on it now 235/70/16, and does it scratch or not?
What they do in Mussafah is that they will take the recovery point from one of the old-shape Cherokees they have in the yard. The place is there in your car for installing this peice (no welding). However, the chasses is different, so they will put an extra peice of hard metal as support.

For the tyres, i got the Kumho's from NAJAH shop next to Harley Davidson - Salam Street. I treid to put 31" tyres but they didn't fit (not without a lift kit). In this case the best option was the 255/70 Mud & Snow. this is the biggest that can fit

Karim

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

DiVeR wrote:
kkamro wrote:

What they do in Mussafah is that they will take the recovery point from one of the old-shape Cherokees they have in the yard. The place is there in your car for installing this peice (no welding). However, the chasses is different, so they will put an extra peice of hard metal as support.

For the tyres, i got the Kumho's from NAJAH shop next to Harley Davidson - Salam Street. I treid to put 31" tyres but they didn't fit (not without a lift kit). In this case the best option was the 255/70 Mud & Snow. this is the biggest that can fit
Just wondering how much you paid for tires, any are you going to put any mods on your baby.

:roll:
Khaldoun Amro

-OlllllllO-

DiVeR
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DiVeR »

I went there several times, did all the needed research. I should be putting the points within 2 days. There is no fixed price as it is all junk, but i agreed on around AED 300 for the 2 pieces + installing + cutting the required support peice becasue no welding will take place.

Chuck, there is no shaping, it is already there and will fit on all Cherokees.

I don't think that i will be having any mods for the time being. The BIG tyres will do for now :wink: :lol: :lol:

The tyres cost me AED 1300. I searched for Pirelly Scorpion but i didn't find even at the agent :cry: :cry:

Karim