Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
jeepuae
Intermediate
Intermediate

Leak from ????

Post by jeepuae »

Salam and Hi,

For our mechanical experts please help me with following situation :

I went to a sharjah-dubai trip last friday and when I returned home I noticed next morning that there is a leak from I don't know what it but I have included the pictures below for better understanding !!!

I want to know what made this leaking ? is it serious problem ? any idea about the solution and how much might cost ?

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

w Salam w ra7ma

This is the diff. oil bearing, i got one of these when i first got my jeep, the bearing it self costs like Dh 60 ... be sure to get it from the dealer (it has a mopar sticker on the bag) because the spare part shops have many brands of these bearing.

another thing is when they replace it let them check and clean the "yoke" i think is its name (the part the goes into the diff. and connects with the drive shaft. (2nd pic .. between the drive shaft and the bearing)

thats all i guess .. its a simple job, just replace it as soon as possible, before you lose the oil in the diff.

good luck bro :wink:

jeepuae
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by jeepuae »

Thanks brother Abdalla for your kindly and informative reply. Sure I will take the car tommorow to a garage I'm hearing about it very good in forum here called Robe in Dubai, but before to drive the car is there is a way to check the oil level ? shall I send the car with recovery better or can I drive it ? the workshop is about 10-15 km from my home? Can I top up the oil myself before driving? if so, what kind of oil ?

I know my questions makes one :evil: but please be patience with my newbie questions :lol:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

As Abdalla said. This is the bearing.

It's better to check the oil level at any petrol station. They can top it up for you.

After fixing leak, better to change the diff oil. Only add Fully Synthetic Oil (Total or Mobil)
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Your welcome :)

well you got the answer from the experts "iguana"

in my case i drove the car to the garage (also around 15km), but the leak was small, i dont know abt your case, but its better to check it as iguana said.

checking the level your self would be a bit hard cause usually these thing are very tight and you'll need to jack the car, so the nearest petrol station is a good idea, and full synthtic is a must especialy for the desert and our weather. (thanks iguana)

Good luck Bro :)

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Oh.. Please find the way to grease those joints. It will held smooth the diff.

Dee See

Post by Dee See »

abdalla wrote: and you'll need to jack the car :)
Jacking up the car to check the oil levels is not so clever.
By all means jack up the car so you can have easier access to undo the filler/level plug.....but to check the actual oil level the car must be sitting on flat ground or the reading will be false.

Looking at the picture.....me thinks that the oil seal has gone.....not just the bearing.

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

(good to see u here DeeSee , welcome)
JeepUae ,u can do that yourself.
its pretty simple.
couple of write ups online , this one was one of the best i found.
http://www.jeepingsingles.net/tech/pinionseal.asp

to check the oil level on the rear diff , crawl under your car (coming from the rear...kinky..i know :wink: )
brush off the dirt , and on the diff cover you'll find a plastic cap.Take a screw driver and gently pry it off.now stick your finger in the lil hole ( :oops: ). you should feel the oil level just about level with the hole.If not , take a bottle of the right spec stuff & fill it in the hole til it's jst under or at the level of the hole.
That should get u to Robbie's if u dont want to do the seal yourself.
honestly , the seal is abt 60dhs , 4 screws & a bit of patience is all it takes.
On the other hand , go down to Robbie's & give him my regards!
might as well decide on whether to change your diff cover seals , change the diff oil while you're at it.Might as well change the bearing while u have the driveshaft off too.
dont be afraid to get your fingers dirty...its a YJ , its basic..u can always bring it to a workshop when you've messed up the job :wink:

Robbie's Garage is at : N25° 8'14.56 E55°13'14.91
Robbie : 050 - 446 1781

Shkh Zayed road , interchange 3B , where Mercedes is , behind Mercedes is the Jeep Service & Parts (where u can get your seal!) , Honda , straight on is a sign with Truck&Bus Wash in yellow, then there's a little gate , go inside that and it'll be the first warehouse on the right.
This should help.

if u need more directions or info lemme know.

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

By all means jack up the car so you can have easier access to undo the filler/level plug.....but to check the actual oil level the car must be sitting on flat ground or the reading will be false.

Looking at the picture.....me thinks that the oil seal has gone.....not just the bearing.
Thanks Dee See, by jacking i meant lifting the car up. bad english maybe but anyways i thought it was very obvoius. and yes you can do it your self if you want to get under the car, have the right tool, etc ...

Dee See

Post by Dee See »

abdalla wrote:

Thanks Dee See, by jacking i meant lifting the car up. bad english maybe but anyways i thought it was very obvoius. and yes you can do it your self if you want to get under the car, have the right tool, etc ...
"Jacking or lifting" makes no odds. What I mean is the car must be on flat ground to check the level of the diff oil.
Also, if you decide to do this simple maintainance job yourself. Before undoing the UJ bolts...mark the mating yoke surfaces on the Diff carrier and the mating prop shaf. When you have done the job and want to bolt the two back togther...it will be in the same position as when you started and you should experiance any vibration because of propshaft ecentricity or run-out.
I use a center punch to mark the position but you can use a marker pen...just be sure you don't remove the marks through handling, cleaning etc.

Regards.

jeepuae
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by jeepuae »

HI ,

I took the advice of Kris and other friends who recommended Robbie workshop. As you said guys, it was the joint seal. It been replaced and workdone perfectly. :D

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Glad to hear that man :)