Your guide to Wrangler mods, what will u need to do what.

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Dune Rider
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Your guide to Wrangler mods, what will u need to do what.

Post by Dune Rider »

Salaam and good evening all
Since it seems i have at least 2 out of the 3 things
now all what i should wait for is the bonus to be paid . then the front and back bumpers , 3in lift kit and all the related things to that lift, the black fenders (the ones u screws) and nice rims and tires.
is that all needed or there r other things? :?:

if u tell me yes , then why dont some take the JK and doo all of it :lol:

thx all
NISSAN VTC SWB 2015 & NISSAN VTC LWB 2016

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

Salaam ya Arbab,

lifting the JK for proper off-road use is not easy and in the end costly, so be careful what you do and plan each modification checking which modification will follow it, for example:

- lift kit requires adjustable front assembly, track bar sway bar
- now you put bigger tires that will require front axle reinforcement and re-gearing
- it can mean lowering transfer case as well depending on lift height
- tyres means also fenders means new rims

Again, please be careful in which modification you put and be clear about its consequences.

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Dune Rider
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Dune Rider »

salaam and good afternoon to all

if the lift is 2 to 2,5in do i need a wheel spacers, if yes then what it is the recomended spacers ? 1.5in or more ?

thx all
NISSAN VTC SWB 2015 & NISSAN VTC LWB 2016

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

wheelspacers for sure should not be wider than 1.5" !
(too much stress on axle and hub)
sometimes needed depending on your rims you want to use (back spacing) and the width of the tires!
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

QARUOTY

Post by QARUOTY »

MegaMoe wrote:i've decided to write the following to help our wrangler newbies decide their car mods and future plans, this will be Your guide to wrangler mods, what will lead to what

1- Lift kits:
will change the geometry of your car, centre of gravity,
options:
2": mostly no need to drop the transfer case (2" BB, not recommended)
more than 2": Drop transfer case *1, change shocks.
(Recommended is no more than 3.5" due to the fact that many other things has to be changed).

2- Shock absorbers:
with any lift you have to change the shocks, dont listen to people who tell u no need to change it if u go for 2" because u'll end up breaking lots of things due to the stiff ride (including ur back).

3- Tyres:
(- any bigger tyre than 28" will affect the performance of your car, still its not very noticeable until you go more than 31x10.5xR15
- For any tyre bigger than 31" you'll also have to change the rims/wheels to a new one with a back spacing of 4", backspacing in easy words is how far is the rim for the inside of ur car so that it wont hit at full turn)
Recommended:
- 31x10.5xR15: no need for a lift or any change of gears.
more than 31x10.5xR15:
32x11.5xR15: 2.5" lift or more. regearing is required due to big lose of power and pressure of the diffs.
33x12.5xR15: 3" or more lift is required + regearing.
(any bigger tyre is not recommended).

4- Regearing:
31x10.5xR15: no need.
more than 31x10.5xR15: regearing is required. Recommended new gear ratio is 4.56 (stock is 3.73).
Adv. = gaining the lost power and gaining more torque (huge difference even on stock)
* you have to change the rear diff carrier at least to add the new gear ratio.

Plan recommended:
3" full suspension lift kit
33" Tyres
Regearing to 4.56 with rear locker at least.
Adjustable trackbars.

so now u can calculate how things are done:
Q1: can i add 33" tyres to my car? yes, do the following:
33"-> 3" -> Change shocks -> drop transfer case -> regear -> add rear locker.

Q2: do i have to lift my car to add 31"?
No, go add it but u'll lose some power.

Other Recommended Mods:
1- Air Intake System.
2- Catback System.
3- Throttle Body Spacer.
(Air flow through is done, more HP and more Torque)

Next i'll be writing about the brands rec.

* Alternative for dropping the transfer case is to buy an CV/SYE drive shaft. (a bit expensive but will save u .75" drop of transfer case drop. not a must but recommended.

perfect

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Most of these Mods comes with cost as well.
Never forgert that you may need to strip-down your car for registratation and re-built it up again.

Simple Mods can works really well.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

saalaah

Post by saalaah »

qaruoty wrote:
MegaMoe wrote:i've decided to write the following to help our wrangler newbies decide their car mods and future plans, this will be Your guide to wrangler mods, what will lead to what

1- Lift kits:
will change the geometry of your car, centre of gravity,
options:
2": mostly no need to drop the transfer case (2" BB, not recommended)
more than 2": Drop transfer case *1, change shocks.
(Recommended is no more than 3.5" due to the fact that many other things has to be changed).

2- Shock absorbers:
with any lift you have to change the shocks, dont listen to people who tell u no need to change it if u go for 2" because u'll end up breaking lots of things due to the stiff ride (including ur back).

3- Tyres:
(- any bigger tyre than 28" will affect the performance of your car, still its not very noticeable until you go more than 31x10.5xR15
- For any tyre bigger than 31" you'll also have to change the rims/wheels to a new one with a back spacing of 4", backspacing in easy words is how far is the rim for the inside of ur car so that it wont hit at full turn)
Recommended:
- 31x10.5xR15: no need for a lift or any change of gears.
more than 31x10.5xR15:
32x11.5xR15: 2.5" lift or more. regearing is required due to big lose of power and pressure of the diffs.
33x12.5xR15: 3" or more lift is required + regearing.
(any bigger tyre is not recommended).

4- Regearing:
31x10.5xR15: no need.
more than 31x10.5xR15: regearing is required. Recommended new gear ratio is 4.56 (stock is 3.73).
Adv. = gaining the lost power and gaining more torque (huge difference even on stock)
* you have to change the rear diff carrier at least to add the new gear ratio.

Plan recommended:
3" full suspension lift kit
33" Tyres
Regearing to 4.56 with rear locker at least.
Adjustable trackbars.

so now u can calculate how things are done:
Q1: can i add 33" tyres to my car? yes, do the following:
33"-> 3" -> Change shocks -> drop transfer case -> regear -> add rear locker.

Q2: do i have to lift my car to add 31"?
No, go add it but u'll lose some power.

Other Recommended Mods:
1- Air Intake System.
2- Catback System.
3- Throttle Body Spacer.
(Air flow through is done, more HP and more Torque)

Next i'll be writing about the brands rec.

* Alternative for dropping the transfer case is to buy an CV/SYE drive shaft. (a bit expensive but will save u .75" drop of transfer case drop. not a must but recommended.

perfect

i am planning to regear my jk. i have 33" tires and 2.5" lift kit. the gearinig is still stock (3.73) and i am planning to have it 4.88. i bought my jeep from WM and when i told them i want to upgrade the R&P they told me that the warranty will be void. i even told them i iwll buy the material from AEV and take it WM shop in mussafah to do the installation. they told me even if we do the installation for you we will void your wrranty on the car. :?: :evil:

i called AEV and told me no that's incorrect. regearing will not void your warranty especially if you let WM do the installation.

what do you guys think? should WM void the Warranty or not? thanks.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

saalaah wrote:

i am planning to regear my jk. i have 33" tires and 2.5" lift kit. the gearinig is still stock (3.73) and i am planning to have it 4.88. i bought my jeep from WM and when i told them i want to upgrade the R&P they told me that the warranty will be void. i even told them i iwll buy the material from AEV and take it WM shop in mussafah to do the installation. they told me even if we do the installation for you we will void your wrranty on the car. :?: :evil:

i called AEV and told me no that's incorrect. regearing will not void your warranty especially if you let WM do the installation.

what do you guys think? should WM void the Warranty or not? thanks.
That is why I bought RB. No warranty to be worry about! :lol:

Regarding your question, it should void the warranty ONLY if they can prove that the modification have caused the damage. Otherwise, they have no right to do so. But you know how our dealers work... :dono:

If it was my car, I would of changed the R&P in AEV and never tell WM about it! :mrgreen:
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Of course WM will warranty their WORK, if they put the R&P in.

But your Chrysler warranty will be void PARTIALLY for your lower suspension/drivetrain even if you have lifted your Jeep ... The Tornado mods are warrantied by WM themselves. Your Engine, Transmission, Transfercase, ECU, Dashboard electronics and other body parts are still covered by Chrysler. WM cannot void the whole Chrysler warranty for parts not affected by a mod ...

This is what I know and used to with WM ... and you should not listen to a showroom guy ... talk to the service managers in Mussaffah.

saalaah

Post by saalaah »

SSS wrote:Of course WM will warranty their WORK, if they put the R&P in.

But your Chrysler warranty will be void PARTIALLY for your lower suspension/drivetrain even if you have lifted your Jeep ... The Tornado mods are warrantied by WM themselves. Your Engine, Transmission, Transfercase, ECU, Dashboard electronics and other body parts are still covered by Chrysler. WM cannot void the whole Chrysler warranty for parts not affected by a mod ...

This is what I know and used to with WM ... and you should not listen to a showroom guy ... talk to the service managers in Mussaffah.
so basically what you are saying is that my Chrysler warranty on the drivetrain (R&P) will be void but WM will cover that part since they are doing the installation (like the lift kit and suspension they did). if thats the case then i am fine with it but i have to make sure that they agree to that!! :lol: :lol:

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

saalaah wrote:
SSS wrote:Of course WM will warranty their WORK, if they put the R&P in.

so basically what you are saying is that my Chrysler warranty on the drivetrain (R&P) will be void but WM will cover that part since they are doing the installation (like the lift kit and suspension they did). if thats the case then i am fine with it but i have to make sure that they agree to that!! :lol: :lol:
they do not warranty the parts themselves ... how can they warranty superior stuff or teraflex coils or shocks...
they warranty that their WORK was done professionally ... as any big reputable workshop will do. correct torque specs, professional body work, professional gear experts etc etc... (if your R&P break of course you are in deep shit ... bad material or bad set up ... you will bounce from one wall to the other ... so your risk... if a shock fails it is much easier to find the culprit)

Big Stinger
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Big Stinger »

Hi - question for Moe ..... I just purchased an AFE catback from Icon-Auto (Dubai) for a 2011 JK. On-road it does not offer any noticable difference except alot of general exhaust noise and low frequency noise, which is very unpleasant for the occupants of the car. My question is whether one can make such a Catback quieter and if not which catback model is much quieter but still gives the performance increase ?

Thanks - Big Stinger
Adrian
Big Stinger

Jayne
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jayne »

Thamks for that really useful info megamoe and i could understand it... ;)
ph 050 319 7386

2012 Jeep Wrangler 2012
2011-2012 Jeep Wrangler TJ
2008-2011 Hummer H3

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Big Stinger wrote:Hi - question for Moe ..... I just purchased an AFE catback from Icon-Auto (Dubai) for a 2011 JK. On-road it does not offer any noticable difference except alot of general exhaust noise and low frequency noise, which is very unpleasant for the occupants of the car. My question is whether one can make such a Catback quieter and if not which catback model is much quieter but still gives the performance increase ?

Thanks - Big Stinger
Hi Adrian,
about JK Performance tuning ... it's all about increasing the airflow through the engine - it begins with the Cold Air Intake, new High Performance Headers and a High Performance Catback.

If you're going with dbPerformance or Gibson Catback (preferable the dual tip) you'll gain significantly better airflow (together with a CAI - such as K&N or the dry CAI's from AL Futtain) ... K&N delivers better performance - but you'll have some problems because they're not dry but a bit oily - so they tend to get sandy ... But Icon can clean your filter - so you should get a 2nd filter by then. I think i've also a 2nd one. (Maybe even the K&N completely - but it's with my car - so still in the garage ... together with the old engine) .

So go first for the CAI, then for the Catback, then if you're brave for better headers. Then you can get a Diablo Trinity / Predator and do some more tuning. ( I've a diablo as well soon for sale ... ).

But one thing : I will not get quieter... It will get louder ;).
IF you add another muffler to make it quiet again, you restrict the airflow again - and your performance gain is lost ... maybe even more...
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Guys,

The write-up by MegaMoe is great, yet certain points are specific to Jeep TJ i.e wranglers (1997 -2006), hence owners of different wranglers like JK, CJ, YJ etc. need to understand the differences and applicable mods for each specific model.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....