Jeep Stroker 4,6 L Build up

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Hi Guys,

today i went during lunchtime to my turning shop and brought them the new bearings.

Here you see the difference between an old crankshaft bearing ( right ) and a new one at the left ( one complete bearing contains two half circles, of course )

As you can see, the turning shop is not only working on my crankshaft. Mine is the first one from down

A new bearing for the crankshaft ( center ) placed in position for measurement. You also can see the old bearing ( bush ) for the camshaft ( right down )

This is the view from top to the later crankshaft bearing postions. Alltoghter the crankshaft needs 7 bearings ( like the one on the very left side in the picture )
On this picture you can see also the installed camshaft also for measuring purpose( The guy holds the camshaft with his hand )

This view shows you the bearing for the crankshaft ( left up ) and the postion of the camshaft ( right middle )

This are the old pistons from the 258 engine which i do not need anymore. I only need the rods connected to. On this rods my new pistons ( + 0.30 ) will be mounted.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

I think this is one of the most organized and informative thread we have in this website. Thanks Chuck for the updates and pictures.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

desertfalc0n
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by desertfalc0n »

I completely agree with you Iguana,

I think after thiss,, we can start doing our ownn stroke enginess... As much as it seems interesting, I must say,, I would be a bit hesitant on trying it on my engine ;)...

Anyways one day for sure...
Abdel Samad Ali 050-4771400 -(O||||||O)- Wrangler TJ '05 Sahara /~~\ Lifted Ed.

jeepuae
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by jeepuae »

Thanks Chuck for the this informative thread. Please keep a detailed list of expences and garages visited as well website or parts sources. I belive you can write a proffisional detailed guide for upgrading Jeep engines.

Well done and keep going. :)

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Thanks Guys for the motivation you give me to continue. And of course i will post all expenses and infos i get during the build up.

@desertfalcon, get yourself an old engine for the build up, so you do not have to worry about your existing engine at all.

In fact what i am doing there is complete new terrain for me.

But, with the help of professionals like Dino, my german friends of www.jeepforum.de and the guys in the turning shop im sure that something good will come out.

I can give you some additional infos, to make everything a little more "understandable" for normal people like us.

Check out this website http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

And,..
in addition here you see also some pictures which will help you to understand the mistery of whats going on in the inside of your engine.

These pictures are from a thread in the german Jeep forum posted by a guy which is building up a stroker for his Jeep right now.

Here`s a picture of the new crankshaft bearings placed. You can see that the pistons are in already as well

A nice shot of the 258 crankshaft with the old pistons.

I will keep you updated Image
Last edited by Chuck on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

good stuff man! cant wait to see how the final version will be 8)
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

I've done nearly 60,000km on my stroker and 340,000km on my Jeep. I've been running a 4.6L stroker for 2-1/2 years. I built it when I was living in Saudi and, of course, I had to bring my Jeep with me when I moved to the UAE. :D
I had the Jeep dyno tested last month in Dubai, and got 205hp/250lbft at the rear wheels.
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Hi Dino,

so if i understand correctly a common Stock 4.0 L Jeep would have about 150 HP on the rear wheels if tested with the Dyno ?

That means, that about 40 or 50 HPs get lost in the Transmission and Drivetrain only ?? 8O

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

Yes, stock 4.0L Cherokees are putting out about 150-155hp/190-195lbft at the rear wheels. My 4.6 stroker puts out about 30-35% more.

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Hi Guys,

today i checked the status of the works in the turning shop.

The installation after the preparation of the crankshaft with the new bearings is finalized.

The crankshaft turns quite easily, when it is moved by hand.

This picture shows you the frontside ( timing belt side ) of the engine without the camshaft placed. The top of the engine ( where the head is later ) is now upside down.

This is a look into one cylinder with the crankshaft above. The piston is not yet placed. You can see the connecting surface ( shiny ) for the connecting rod of the piston.

This is the camshaft. Unfortunatly Jeep gave me the wrong bushes for that, so i have to return them for other ones in the correct size.

One new piston with the assembled connecting rod.

I made today one small video which shows how a used crankshaft gets polished. As soon it is online i will post the link.
Last edited by Chuck on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tamraz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Tamraz »

I look forward to watch the video.. good work chuck :) ...and excellent stamina...

You should try to document "before" & "after" log to feel the real value/achievement.

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Tamraz wrote:I look forward to watch the video.. good work chuck :) ...and excellent stamina...

You should try to document "before" & "after" log to feel the real value/achievement.
You mean if the car is accellerating quicker and reaches Topspeed earlier after the installation of the Stroker engine ?

Small update:
i just had time to go to Al Jallaf to change the wrong bushes into correct ones. The number on the carton was wrong.

I also went to one shop for spare parts and ordered the new upper and lower gasket sets. They will come tommorow. Price is about 350 AED alltogether.

Tommorow i also can get the engine ( Block, Head ) back from the turning shop. Up to then all works will be done, they only install the camshaft with the new ( correct bushes ) now, thats it.

In general the engine is ready for assembling now. :D

Outstanding things i have to buy:

Lower and upper gasket sets.
New stock oil pump
New stock water pump ( maybe better to take high flow version )
Ford 24 lb/hr injectors
And some other small items

Tamraz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Tamraz »

Chuck wrote:
Tamraz wrote:I look forward to watch the video.. good work chuck :) ...and excellent stamina...

You mean if the car is accellerating quicker and reaches Topspeed earlier after the installation of the Stroker engine ? yes isn't it what's all about? higher performance? I also suggest to keep a mini log book in the glove compartment to mark incidental expenses and the need for other than usual maintenence. I think this is how you could sense the success
Small update:
i just had time to go to Al Jallaf to change the wrong bushes into correct ones. The number on the carton was wrong.

I also went to one shop for spare parts and ordered the new upper and lower gasket sets. They will come tommorow. Price is about 350 AED alltogether.

Tommorow i also can get the engine ( Block, Head ) back from the turning shop. Up to then all works will be done, they only install the camshaft with the new ( correct bushes ) now, thats it.

In general the engine is ready for assembling now. :D

Outstanding things i have to buy:

Lower and upper gasket sets.
New stock oil pump
New stock water pump (maybe better to take high flow version) higher flow than the OEM deisgned for heat exchange parameters (mainley Diameter of hoses and larger Baffles/cooling fins surface area (The size of the radiator).. then you could end up pumping hot water due to faster flow rate with insufficient (heat exchange time) cooling... so it isn't only the pump output rate Chuck :roll: :roll:
Ford 24 lb/hr injectors
And some other small items

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Hi Tamraz,

i was not clear about your question, thats why i was asking if you mean the better acceleration and so on. Of course, the performance is the reason to build up a stroker. But anyhow, to know the real achievement, the car has to be dyno tested.

In daily driving i think i will notice 70 or 80 extra HP very easily anyway. :D

About the high flow waterpump. I can use a stock one, but Dino told me once that also to use a high flow pump is not a mistake at all ( especially here in summer ).

Here is what he wrote me:

The standard water pump will do fine but if you want a high-flow pump,
you can get one from http://www.flowkooler.com (that's what I have). You
can also get the Robertshaw 180 degree thermostat from the same site.

I will also think about to put an extra fan, but it is not yet clear if i need or not.

Cheers