newbie needs help

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Come on Iguana, the guy will be scared and might think I was flying today.....

OX lockers are great so far :roll: :roll: Installation is nothing special as far as the diff is concerned, however the cable/actuator is the tricky and source of trouble part of it, but once they work thats it.

Following are the issues you expect with OX lockers installation:
- Fabricate a bracket for the activation handle
- Find a proper rout for the cable (documentation is clear enough but it all depends on the genious who will install it). Keep in mind heat insulation away from the exhaust, also consider full articulation.
- Fine tuning the cable locking mechanism.

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Cool man, hope the lockers work fine with you the whole time :D

Soo, my understanding is that the ARB and OX lockers only work when you want them to work (switch) which is a good thing i guess.. right ?

but i noticed that the detriot lockers have no switch, i figured that they work automaticlly (correct ?) althought i dont want no switchs onboard and no connections of any type but i think that these kind of lockers will effect the on road ride, and they might not be as effective as the other two lockers ... these are only my thoughts that i gathered from what i've read, but i dont know... what do you guys think ?

also detroit have LSD lockers.. do you recommend those over the selectable lockers ?

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

I will try to make it short as writing is not my favorite hobby....

Lockers come in several combinations like Open/Lock selectable and LSD/Lock selectabel. Experts have various opinions on which technology would be the best for a certain terrain.

When I consulted the gurus I understood that on sand dunes the open diff is better than the LSD and more durable as in many situations you will have one wheel spinning in the air and quickly hit the sand taking the complete shock on the axle.

Complete lock is what should be used on the sand/rocks etc but never ever on the tarmac. Hardcore offroaders always prefer the full control over their vehicles and recommend the open diff/selectable lock, whether its manual(OX), air pressure(ARB) or Electric Detroit and other brands.

So, open diff and selectable locker, and the brand selection is left for you. The most popular and tested for years and years is ARB air lockers.

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

by the way i got my borla cat-back and headers installed yesterday so i want to give you my feedback , the sound is amazing , but its way toooooo noisy i don't think it would pass the registration and not only that if there is a police car on the street i'm like 100% they will stop u for the noise. so think twice before u order it.

FearUAE
Advanced
Advanced

Tell me something . . .!

Post by FearUAE »

Boss
The major source of noise is it from the borla cat bak or the headers . . . ?

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

iguana has the borla cat-back alone , but for me i have the borla cat-back and headers , my car is making more noise , so i would say alot of the noise is coming from the headers.

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

ahha Thanks khaiwi, i got the idea for now, when its time there will be loads of Qs lol

mabrooOook jeep :D So noisy you say ... Umm well it was expected, but i think i`ll still go with this setup and when its time for registeration i`ll remove the cat back just too reduce the noise, and as for the police and dont really drive the car that much, i use it mainly for offroading and when am on the road i`ll keep my eyes open 8O

Thanks jeep :)

1 Q man, how do you like the sound ? and whats the difference in performance ?

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

the sound is amazing , very nice but will kill u on the high way , performance i noticed change on the high way now the car is reaching higher speed.

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Thanks jeep for the feedback ...

ahha So you didnt try it off the road yet ..

Could someone please tell me what a spline is ? and whats the "spline" on a stock TJ ?

Thanks guys :)

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Spline please :roll:

seems that the members have been busy lately

Thanks alot guys you`ve been a great help :)

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

abdalla wrote:Spline please :roll:

I have no idea :oops: :oops:
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

no problem man :wink:

if you got the lockers through Quadratec you must have seen this, but i guess you got them from ARB here :)

i think i`ll go for the ARB lockers as well when i get my R/P sometime in the future inshalla, what do you think iguana ?

Thanks man :)

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

I prefer to get the complicated or Mechanical things from the local dealer here. Sometimes we order things and we find out that we ordered the wrong part of there is a missing part which we should have ordered. When it comes to something like lockers, I prefer to get it from ARB, at least you will enjoy the 2 years warrenty.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

abdalla wrote:Spline please :roll:

Spline is related to the axles, specifically number of teeth on axle shaft. Some of the standard splines on jeep axles are 27, 30, 31, 35..... Hope i was able to answer your quastion.

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

ahha thanks iguana, yeah your right, i always think abt this issue theres like a million part on the website, and it gets confusing, anyways i`ll check ARB in AD inshalla :)

khaiwi thanks bro :)