Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

newbie needs help

Post by abdalla »

Salam 3alykm every1

I'm Abdalla, and am new here :D
Hope to have good times with you guys...

I need some advice please, i have a stock TJ and i have Qs abt some mods, am really confused with the lift and tyre mods, i dont know wht to go with, so can you please guide me, am thinking a 2inch spacer lift and 31 tyres. or should i go with a 3inch lift and bigger tyres (32 or 33). if i go with the second will i need to change the R/P ? i want to do this once and for all. Help Please :roll:

and should i go with 15*8 or 15*10 wheels ?
What brand lift should and use ?

Thanks in advance guys :)

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

First of all welcome to the club Abdullah, Please answer the private message I sent to you as it is very important for our records.

Now for the lift Kit.
The cobination of tires and lift is very important to avoid tire rubbing your fender flares.

- If you go for the 2.5", you can only go to max. 32 tires. For 33 tires, you will need a 3" lift.
- 15*8 is Ok for 32*11.5*15 and 33*12.5*15 tires.
- Going to 32 & 33 tires you need to change the R& P setup to 4.56 and need to change to wider fender flares to avoid tire rubbing.
- Modified drive shaft and SYE to match the lift is required to avoid vibration. DO NOT drop the transfer case as you will face cresting problems while driving on the desert.
- Komho, Mickey Thompson and BF Goodrich are recommended tires based on our experience.
- Don't go for a body lift of spacer lift. Get a propper lift kit.
- recommended lift kits: OME (2.5" only), Rancho shocks and Teraflex lift.

Check www.Quadratec.com for prices and hurry up, you can add your list to order#5.

If you need to discuss in details call me on 050 6224377
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Thanks iguana

So if i go with the 2.5" OME and 31 tyres should i need to modify the R/P ? (are the front and rear R/P the same item at quadratec ?)

"Modified drive shaft and SYE to match the lift is required to avoid vibration. DO NOT drop the transfer case as you will face cresting problems while driving on the desert"

I didnt really get wht you mean by modify the drive shaft ?
Whats a SYE ? do these apply if i do a 2" lift

At quadratec i couldnt find the OME and Teraflex 2.5" lifts they are not offered.

Thanks iguana and please excuse my ignorance :)

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

i think the OME 2.5" is very good , hmmm u can get them from ARB in Abu dhabi (musafah area)

if u do that and put 31" tiers u won't need to work on the ring and pinion.
oh for tiers i would say if u want a good look then kumho , but i think BF Goodrich is much better on and offroad.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Ask as many questions as you can. Just open this thread after 5 hours and you will see that you had so many answers over here. This is our club spirit.

Now back to your questions.

- Yes no need to upgrade the R&P on 31 tires. However, if you are going to use this car for offroading, better get 32 and 4.56 R&P, it gives you huge torque.
- No fron and rear are different. the front axle is Dana 35, rear ones are Dana 44 so different R&P.
- When you lift the car, you either need to drop the transfer case or get a modified drive shaft and SYE (Slip Yoke Eleminator). When the car is lifted, the angle of the drive shaft changes, this is why you need to change the drive shaft and SYE to get the correct angle again.
- Get the OME lift from ARB in Abu Dhabi. Total will cost you AED 2,800 with steering stabilizer as well.

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Iguana,

The front axle is Dana30 and not 35.... Its a typing mistake I guess.

YOKOHAMA 31" tires Geolanders A/T are affordable and excellent onroad and offroad with aggresive look too. 325dhs

Recommended lift kits are Teraflex, OME, Rubicon Express...Many other makes are available but mainly for rock crawling. The optimal lift for the sand dunes in the gulf area is 3" suspension lift. Extreme offroaders who will be offroading for long hours and during high temparature seasons, may look for shocks with external reservoire.

Lifting the Wrangler 2" and above has major impact on the geometry of the vehicle and requires proper modifications to rectify the changes. Example: longer track bars to re-center the axles, Longer rear driveshaft (CV) Constant Velocity and SYE slip yoke eliminator to avoid lowering the transfer case and facing issues with the gear shift and 4x4 engaging besides losing ground clearance (isnt ground clearance what made you lift your car?).

Bigger tires then your speed meter reading is wrong,,,,,

Now ur wrangler looks great, but does the drive train take the extra load and abuse ???? Axles, U joints, week breaks, loss of power....

Then you start mods to gain some power and so on.

Mmmmm, you have a monster now, so what do you do to protect it? may be a roll cage.....

And the list goes on.............................

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Thanks Khaiwi, you know I have a spelling mistake on every thread of this club :x .

Abdalla, ask more

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Thanks Guys

ohh i`ll ask alot of Qs dont worry abt that 8O

Okay lets see, the R/P can i get them from here or should i order them through the internet ? (i couldnt find both rear and front on quadratec, i`ll check other sites)

So i`ll only need the rear drive shaft, could someone please advice me on which particular drive shaft i should get, coz i found so many and i got confused. (my TJ is a 97) the same thing applies to the SYE, alot of products and i dont know which is which !!

I think i`ll go with the OME 2.5" lift from ARB, so does this kit include the shocks and the coil springs ? and wht abt the track bars do they come with the kits ?

Thank You Guys :D

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Quadratec have front & rear R&P. Megamoe got a set last week from Quadratec "Alloy" is the brand.

OME 2.5" no need for track bars at this stage. The full kit comes with coil springs, bump stops and steering stabilizer. Don't get the transfer case drop as you will change the Drive shaft.

Drive shaft and SYE. Sorry, I cannot help. Maybe Khaiwi or Megamoe can advice.

I still recommend you order everything from one site to save on shipping.

Jeep, where is your comment, you just had an OME lift kit. What did you change with it?

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

ana for me i did transfer case drop , i still need to do the steering stabilizer

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Okay heres what i came up with as for the lift kits:

1. OME 2.5" from ARB in AD
2. Teraflex Basic 3" from Quadratec (i`ll get rancho RS9000 shocks with it)
3. Skyjacker Standard 2.5" with Nitro Shocks also from Quadratec

So which do you guys recommend ? put in mind that i`ll order many other things from Quadratec.

Thanks alot :D

iguana i found the R/P thanks i didnt notice them when i was searching :wink:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Teraflex and Rancho 3" lift is the best

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

I thought so too, so i guess i`ll go for this kit inshalla

Okay regarding the wheels, i was thinking M/T classic II but i dont know wht size to go with 15*8 or 15*10, i really wanted to go with the wider wheels, but i dont know i read on the forums that they are heavy on the axles, so wht do you guys think ? will i have problems if i go with the 15*10 and if i go with these wheels the height of the tyres will be effected right i mean i`d get a larger radius with for example (15*8 & 32*10.5) than the radius i`ll get when i go with lets say (15*10 & 32*10.5) right ?? and this takes me to this question if i use the 2nd choice then do i have to change the R/P ?? or do i have to change them anyways when i go with 32" or 33" tyres regardless the width of the wheels ??

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

my advice to you is upgrade to whatever size u want even 33 and see how the car goes, if u liked the power then keep the 3.73 ring and pinion otherwise upgrade which is better and the diffs will have no pressure on them. the 15x10 wheels is totally not recommended as it'll put more pressure on the axles, 15x8 is just enough and in anyway u'll have to get a wheel with a proper backspacing which is more important so that u'd have no internal rubbing. my advice is the following setup if u decided on the 3" lift:

Phase 1:
- 3" lift (teraflex and rancho).
- 33" tyres.
- 15x8 rims with 4 backspacing.
- front adjustable trackbar (to centre the front tyres or otherwise they'll have to weld it on the axle).
- Oversized tyre carrier (the normal tailgate will bend if u put 32" and more tyres due to the weight).

drive it and see how it goes. later on to add the lost power and take the pressure of the diffs do the following:

Phase 2:
- 4.56 Ring and Pinion. (u'll have to change the rear diff carrier due the fact that it wont take the size of the 4.56 ring and pinion so my advice is a rear locker that already has a bigger carrier)
- ARB rear locker.
- Rear adjustable trackbar.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

You mean an ARB air locker right ?

what abt the front diff. will the R/P fit or should i also need a front air locker ? and can i only change the rear R/P with out changing the front ?