Electric cooling fan , is it good ???

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Electric cooling fan , is it good ???

Post by jeep »

i have a jeep wrangler 99 , as u all know when it gets little over heated say bye bye to the power , so i was thinking of using one of those electric cooling fans , so does anyone know if they are good , and if there are any problems when using them ???

Quadratec Part No: 51210.900

OR

Quadratec Part No: 17800.01

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

personally would recommend by starting off with a lower temp thermostat...see how that goes...if it still does it , i'd recommend a 3 core aluminium radiator.

dolphin radiator in shj make nice ones...Serck services in shj near golden auto also have the mold for it...takes a day to make , costs 600 for a YJ..not sure for a TJ.
i got a replacement one from my spareparts guy in shj for 450 dhs...did the installation myself...takes a couple of hours , but i flushed my cooling system in the engine block while i was at it...whole installation with thermostat...3 hours if u roughly know what ur doing.

reasons i didnt go for an electric fan :
1) i hate electrics
2)blow a fuse , melt a wire in the desert , dont have a replacement...thats it..its gonna be overheating.

btw..if its overheating and u dont feel like ur pushing it like crazy..remove your thermostat housing ( but first go and buy a new housing gasket -5-ish dhs, 160 thermostat costs..35 dhs?) , and when u removed ur thermostat housing , chances are that it might be corroded on the inside , meaning the pressure in the system cant build up properly.i replaced that , the temperature shot down and stayed down...or have a look at ur radiator cap...if it leaks pressure , again , temp goes up.
electric fans are cool as the mechanical ones take away a little bit of power away from the engine...but on a jeep with mods , where i've increased hp to over 200 from the stock 180..ill sacrifice a little hp for my mechanical fan where i know it shouldnt let me down...if the mechanical fan clutch goes in the desert...remove the clutch and keep running the fan without the clutch...
i dont like relying on wires and fuses...but thats my personal preference...
lots of ppl swear by the electrical fans...but seriously..if its overheating..find the cause as to why first...
with me : thermostat housing was corroded , radiator cap wasnt allowing pressure build up , and my stock radiator was totally rusted and was blocking flow.
DO NOT remove the thermostat and drive without one for longer periods of time.you fry your rear cylinders.EDIT : it's also important your fan shroud is still in place as it actually has a function!
good luck.

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

thanx man , but see the thing is that its not a huge problem , my car is not realy overheating , but u know sometimes when u drive in the desert for a long time under the hot sun and then try to push the car over the higher areas the car heats little and it goes over the middle point not much but enough to take away the cars power.

so i was thinking of something to only solve this issue , i don't know i think there are better fan blades than those stock onse

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

ah ok..well if it's hot and u push it , then the temp will go up under load..its normal...so changing the thermo wont really help that much as it'll already be open...though it might help coz cooling will start earlier...hmm..

u can try and get a slim fan (think they're called slimline?) to fit infront of your radiator , so u dont have to remove the stock mechanical one..hook up the electrical one to a manual switch..not to the thermostat...so whenever u feel like its overheating , u throw the switch on.
or engine oil cooler...thats a good idea...there are some on quadratec for engines with 150-250bhp. thats def a good solution...your temp wont go up anymore.

an option i was lookin at was installing hood vents... but then again i love the good ol' angle grinder! :twisted:

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

thanx man , sounds cool , so i can get that engine oil cooler , and also that slim electrical fan and install it infront of the radiator and use it manualy on off whenever i want. good good

ok check these fans for me because i found two one says puller , and the other one is pusher !!!
Be Cool 16" Electric High Torque "Puller" Fan (2360 CFM) - Quadratec Part No: 51210.900
Be Cool 16" Electric High Torque "Pusher" Fan (2360 CFM) - Quadratec Part No: 51210.902

and this is the Engine Oil Cooler for 150-250 HP Engines - Quadratec Part No: 94000.02

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

cool , i'll check it out.
but if u get the oil cooler , u wont need the fan...also i dont even think it'll fit then..coz the radiator for the oil cooler goes infront of the stock radiator...nice little toy...so i dont know if there'll even be enough space for the electrical fan...which you shouldnt really need then..

generally , fan infront of radiator is a pusher...fan behind it is a puller...coz it pulls the hot air away from the radiator...makes sense right ?

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

great so i'll just get the oil cooler thing. i'll add it now to my quadratec order before khaiwi close it :D

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Hey Kris, you are talking to Mr. Jeep. If you tell him to buy a new car to increase the performance he will add it to Quadratec order, be the first to pay to Khaiwi, and come all the way from Sharjah to pick up his toys on the same day, take it to the dealer to install it next day and then ask Khaiwi about the next order :lol: :lol:

Slowly Jeep, the bug will eat you soon.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

hahahaha iguana be nice one day u will need my lion in the desert :D

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

by the way iguana are you happy now , i can't find a car to come to abu dhabi to pick the stuff and give u your stuff :roll:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Oh. That's bad. If you told me eariler, I would've picked up your stuff and bring it to Sharjah.

I can come tomorrow to pick up my clutch and give you your items if you still couldn't find a car.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

jeep wrote:hahahaha iguana be nice one day u will need my lion in the desert :D
Your car will be a monster, not a lion. :lol: :lol: (am I nice now??)

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

i'm still hoping to find a car , if not then for sure tomorrow i'll come , it would be too much for u to come all the way to sharjah for this

jeep
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jeep »

Kris i want to ask u about the radiator , mine was damaged sometime ago so a garage replaced it for me but this new one i always see the water dirty inside , seems like there is rust or something.

so what about those u told me about "dolphin radiator in shj make nice ones...Serck services in shj near golden auto also have the mold for it...takes a day to make , costs 600 for a YJ..not sure for a TJ. "

which one is good ??? i want something that is good , dont want something that will rust .

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

well see , with my radiator , it was rusted so badly that if i opened it up and gave it in to have it serviced (radiator service) , then it would've cost me about...600-ish dhs.

There is a manufacturer in shj that makes radiators that are decent...they're called dolphin radiators.
Then there's Serck Services , they make nice radiators too.They're on the same road as golden auto.They make the radiator for the Team Saluki Defender 110 that just completed the Desert fun.My friend with the orange YJ has one from them.Takes a day to make.

I have an unbranded one from my spare parts guy in sharjah.It's 3 core aluminium with a plastic housing.Cost 450dhs.Works fantastically.Should fit a TJ as far as i know.
If you go down BMW road , at the 1st traffic light after the roundabout coming from Sahara Centre , go right at the traffic light , where the Sedana trading showroom is.On the right there will be a shop , american auto spares or smthg...the guy's name is Nawazish.050 - 756 0966
He's an honest guy from whom i get all my parts..including this radiator that i got.

If u swap out your radiator , make sure u flush your engine cooling system as well.Try reverse flushing it , putting the hose in the lower radiator hose.Be sure to remove the thermostat out of the housing before u do it though.
Go by Serck if u have time , talk to them , and give Nawazish a call , tell him Kris , Seb's friend , gave you his number & wants to know if he has a replacement radiator for your TJ like the one he gave me...3 core aluminium.See which one suits your needs better.The Serck is tough...and i still havent broken mine from Nawazish...Serck gives a guarantee...but Nawazish should replace it as well if there's something wrong with it.

hope it helps!