After Market Air Filters - Thoughts?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

An Australian company ( http://www.ultimate4wdequipment.com.au ) did a project FJ and installed a K&N air filter. They said it improves power etc... I had a look on the K&N website ( http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm ) and was about to buy one, especially with free shipping to the UAE. I then at a look at some reviews, this one in particular, http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html , and now I am not sure if it would actually be a bad thing for our very dusty / sandy conditions.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with after market filters? Good, bad, indifferent?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers, Al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MURAD

Re: After Market Air Filters - Thoughts?

Post by MURAD »

Hey Al,

Just make sure it's dry filter not oily, as the sand would stick to it. Of course faster air flow would increase the power and sound better with racing filter, but I don't believe it does a big difference with the FJ as I have seen. Clean air flow what's really matter..
The outlaw :)

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

Read:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

"That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous or paper filters (Napa, Baldwin, and Mazda)."

If you want to go fast, get a performance filter. If you want your car to last, stay stock. There is a reason manufacturers use paper filters.

Dave
Travelling in my truck...

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

Al, don't you have a snorkel?
The amount of dust and sand you get should be minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

I just put a snorkel on a couple of days ago. I was looking for the promised "increase in power" that comes from a K&N filter. I am now just not sure that is accurate!

Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

Post by Hani AMJ »

Snorkel: air is restricted on the low RPM end therefore you will you feel the engine less responsive. However, if combined with a good quality filter will provide cleaner air.

Cold air intake: increased performance on lower & mid RPM (specially with a tune) however cannot match filtration of a boxed filter or a snorkel.

It's a matter of choosing between reliability vs performance.

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

My final two pennies:

With a stock filter on an FJ I don't get much sand inside the intake box. I know some get a lot but I have in the past gone weeks without checking and it's still pretty clean when I open it up.

I took the plunge very recently and got a TRD CAI fitted, without snorkel.

I have only been out once in the desert so far which was last week.

I still don't get sand into the CAI box.
The throttle is more responsive
There is benefit when up around 3-4 thousand revs.

Personally I am going to try it for a while. The TRD CAI fully encloses the filter and the filter inside is still more substantial that the one that is in the landcruiser. I have a spare filter in the car in case it does get clogged and a cleaning kit at home.

Hope this helps.

One outcome which demonstrates this is on the road my car (remember I have slightly bigger wheels than stock) would change down a gear on inclines. This is not happening now and the car seems a bit happier.

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Lee,

Where did you get the TRD CAI from? I have had a look online, but can only find them for the older FJ's. I think yours is newer than 2009?

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

Yes mine is a 2013.
I got mine from Mebar. I struggled to find someone else who could get it and fit it.

There is stock in the UAE so can get fitted pretty quickly.

hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

Snorkel is back ......les air flow les sand in airbox ........snorkel only made for go inside water
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)

MURAD

Post by MURAD »

hubiheu wrote:Snorkel is back ......les air flow les sand in airbox ........snorkel only made for go inside water
I don't have a snorkel though, I had the original air filter box FULL more than once..
The outlaw :)

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Yesterday was the first test of the snorkel. A great day for driving as there was zero wind, but not a great day to test the snorkel, as there was very little blowing sand. Either way, there was no sand in the filter box at the end of the drive which is what I was hoping for. Also, there was no noticeable power loss either. I cannot prove it, but it feels like there may have even been a fraction more power? Certainly no significant difference either way. Very pleased with the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

If you lose on the power curve like at 4500 around 15 hp for installing the snorkel and let say at 5500 you close to stock for sure you will think car have more power but in real you lose ....snorkel only for water not for dessert but the look also nice when the not connected :D

And what the sand do in air box is no prob at all if you collect 2kg sand during the drive the air box is develop in a way to extract the sand out of the box so if you stop the engine sand will drop in the box and get extracted problem is if you not use filter for Gcc then filter get clocked ...or use stupid race filter will toast the engine in short time (if you have too much money no issue wiht that )

I drive normal 5.000 km with same filter the is max -5 hp drop after this time ...
The worst think to do is to open after drive the air box and clean it wiht compressed air this will destroy the filter element in same time ....... ;)

But I work only 15 years in off-road racing and road (old time Paris to Dakar) business and 30 years work engine modification .....
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)