7 inches or 9 inches? Does size matter? (Rims that is...)

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Hi All,

I am thinking of putting new Braid wheels on my FJ. They come with a standard rim width of 7 inches.

The tires that I want, Yokohama Geolander ATS 285/75/R16, recommend a minimum rim width of 8 inches, but say anywhere from 7.5 – 9 inches is ok.

Braid will custom make the wheels in whatever width I want, but I would like to know how the performance characteristics change.

With the same tire, if I get a 7.5 inch rim, how will it behave differently if I get the 9 inch rim?

Also, has anyone got any feedback on Braid wheels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Aidy »

Hi Al I believe a wider rim will put more tire grip / traction on Tarmac but up to the safety range of the rim.

At deflation though I am not really sure what is best (heard mixed reviews but nothing scientific).

Btw I have a 9" rim on my jeep for over 2 years now and haven't had any problems yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Re: 7 inches or 9 inches? Does size matter? (Rims that is...)

Post by Bulldozer »

as long the Tyre can be fitted on wider Rim use the wider Rim to have better and wider footprint on the sand
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

He is talking about FJ.. Not a jeep ... Use 5". Even no matter what you put still it's an ugly car :D :D

:mrgreen:
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

SCORPIO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SCORPIO »

DON'T go for wider rims unless you'll widen the tire
proportionally comparing to the stock tire and stock rim
which you are not doing with your proposed sizes

Why :
if the tire is not enough wider than the rim, after deflation
the low amount of pressure cannot keep it on the rim and you'll be
a pop out demonstration in every trip if were not talking about the risk of it
and safety issues

i'm not saying it will be dramatically bad but you'll have to be careful in the amount
of air inside it and when sloping, side cresting and cornering ...
from visual point of view its much nicer with wider rims but that on corniche road
for safety issues in desert wide tires on narrow rims are much much safer.
at the end you are getting the same amount of grip, traction and
clearance from the rubber either on wide or narrow rims

so why the wider rims ?

Jalal
YOU CAN NEVER SET OUT TO GET OUT FROM THIS LIFE ALIVE

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

The tires I am looking at have a recommended rim width of 8 inches, but from 7.5 to 9 inches is still within the approved range. I was not looking at getting any more than 9 inches, so I should be fine. Thanks for the tip though. Good safety advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Testinwork

Post by Testinwork »

285/75/R16 size implies:

I don't know what your stock tyre size but consider this but I presume your original tyre is narrower than 285mm.

285/25.4=11.22 inches tyre width.

Since you are not going to exceed the tyre width by using 9 inch rims. it will be Ok, (Make sure no part of the tyre touches or scrapes when the suspension is fully compressed on one wheel and fully expanded on the opposite wheel diagonally. this is best to check when the steering wheel is turned to completely one side) don't forget that by using a wider rim (assuming same design and material), it is going to be heavier.

To clarify more; imagine if you were to fit the 11 inch width of tyre on a wider rim, this would be similar to balloon tyres, when you deflate the tyre under this situation you are asking for a pop-out.

I f you were to fit the tyre on a very narrow rim than compared to the width of the tyre than it is less likely to have a pop-out due to more tyre rubber being there before pulling away from the rim.

I hope this helps

Rainbow
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Rainbow »

Testinwork wrote:285/75/R16 size implies:

I don't know what your stock tyre size but consider this but I presume your original tyre is narrower than 285mm.

285/25.4=11.22 inches tyre width.

Since you are not going to exceed the tyre width by using 9 inch rims. it will be Ok, (Make sure no part of the tyre touches or scrapes when the suspension is fully compressed on one wheel and fully expanded on the opposite wheel diagonally. this is best to check when the steering wheel is turned to completely one side) don't forget that by using a wider rim (assuming same design and material), it is going to be heavier.

To clarify more; imagine if you were to fit the 11 inch width of tyre on a wider rim, this would be similar to balloon tyres, when you deflate the tyre under this situation you are asking for a pop-out.

I f you were to fit the tyre on a very narrow rim than compared to the width of the tyre than it is less likely to have a pop-out due to more tyre rubber being there before pulling away from the rim.

I hope this helps
Very detailed technical review.... Hats off :)

It helps alot to understand..

Looking forward for your expert opinion in future as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk