Prado 150 Wheel Alignment after 2

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Stalliondz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Stalliondz »

Dear all,
The good news is that I installed the TJM XGS 4000 Shocks with TJM 2" standard load springs lift, and 265/70r17 Cooper tires, so the car looks and drives amazing.
After 2 weeks of installing the suspension I decided that it's time to go for the wheels alignment (I know I'm late but I wanted it to settle down with the new gadgets) 8-)

Now comes the issue, I spent today 3 hours in a wheel alignment garage in mussafah that I've been dealing with for more than 10 years (even with my previous dropped Lexus IS with vossen 19" wheels) and never had an issue, but with the Prado as soon as they fixed the computer alignment sensor every this was Red. (As per the attached image)
IMAG1827.jpg
After 3 hours (and me standing there with them) they managed to get it some how 80% aligned (Camber aligned and Caster almost there but not perfect) (as per the 2ND attached picture)

Now the questions are :| :
1- did any one face alignment issue with their Prado/FJ ?
2- as per some research on the internet Caster alignment will not affect the wear of tyres, but is it a big deal towards the stability of the car?

Any further details/info are welcomed.

I know that changing the upper arms will give more room to fix this issue, but is it necessary at this stage ? :ugeek:

Thanks to all

Chafik

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

I have Radflo suspension and total chaos upper control arms. Never had a problem with alignment and running with 285/70/17. I did have a problem with the wheels catching at the rear of the wheel arch on steep descents with full lock, this was due to lower control arm bushing wear but fixed when I replaced with total chaos lower control arms. As an aside for those FJ drivers who have steering wobble this also got rid of that completely, hopefully forever.

As for caster the more positive the greater the straight line stability but it is harder to turn, the more negative easier to turn but less straight line stability. It does not effect tire wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalliondz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Stalliondz »

Thanks Lee for the feedback,
I went today to remake the wheels alignment (specially after our trip last week that helped alot putting all the parts back where they belong) and luckily with a minor adjustment they managed to make the alignment at 100% as it should be.
I would consider changing the upper and lower control arms in couple of months.
Any advice where I can get the Total Chaos upper and lower arms, or how much they would cost approximately? (I believe the FJ are the same parts that fit the Prado 150)
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

The upper control arms are typically ones you would change when you upgrade your suspension. I would honestly try to wait until you have been driving a while before you look to do this since you will start to form a view about what you want and need.
The lower control arms I replaced due to needing a replacement anyway and after putting a lot of kilometers on the car.
Bought separately you are looking at roughly 3,500 for upper + fitting and 8,500-9,500 for lower + fitting.
I had mine fitted by mebar auto in Dubai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk