Which Compressor?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Lutz

Which Compressor?

Post by Lutz »

Hi guys,

My name is Lutz and I'm new here in the Forum. I am 30, from Germany and looking for nice desert trips with awesome people.

I also got a question for you. Do you think it's worth it to invest into a ARB twin barrel compressor? I'm sure it's a great compressor but the 2300 AED I got it offered for... is not a small amount.

Thanks for comments and hopefully seeing you soon,
Lutz

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Which Compressor?

Post by Bu Shahid »

hi Lutz,

Welcome to the family, desert trips are amazing and you would love it, as a fresh member you need to attend an ANIT trip which is kind of introduction trip for desert driving and will give you the first star to attend Newbies trips in later stage.
during this trip, the marshal will explain in details all required equipment and from where to get them
keep an eye on this forum to attend the ANIT trip.
http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewforum.php?f=2
As for ARB double tank is great (I have one fixed on board) and in my opinion it worth the money if you are frequent off road driver (weekly or so 8-) ) but if you are not then you can go for cheaper options which are not bad as well, better to wait your first trip then decide
let us know if you need help
Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

Hi Lutz & welcome to the family ;)

I do agree with Bu Shahid, join one of our ANIT before investing in off-road equipment. However, to answer your question, ARB compressors are great but way to expenses for some of us ;) have a look at ACE (Meena or Yas island) they do have bushranger for less $ and if you are lucky, they sometime have discount. I got one bushranger air max 3 last month for 999 aed instead of 1499 aed and to give you an idea, from 9 psi (tire pressure) to 35 Psi, it takes 5 minutes.

Hope this helped a bit and once again, do not rush for equipment ;)

Wasabi
We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Thanks guys,

It's not that I haven't been in the desert yet. I've been maybe ten times but never got a compressor but used my friends :-)

Have been to ACE today but they just got the Black Max, which I had my doubts with...

Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Hi guys,

Thanks. It's not that I haven*t been in the desert yet. I've been maybe 10 times by now but always used my friends' or colleagues compressors.

I have been to ACE today and they only got the black max from bushranger where I was a bit doubtful how Long it will be lasting...

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Which Compressor?

Post by Zeebzog »

The biggest difference between the compressors is the amount of time it takes to inflate, or even if it can inflate the size of tire on your vehicle.

I have the dual ARB, with 285/70/R17 tires. Inflation takes just over 2 mins from 9 to 38psi. There are places on the site where the minimum flow rate is discussed and various chinese compressors are compared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ancient Mariner »

I've had a Bushranger Blackmax for 3 years. Does 4 tyres (285x70x17) 10psi to 34psi in 15 to 20 mins depending on ambient temperature and still going strong. (probably blow up now I've said that :lol: )

Martin
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

I use a no brand camel compressor from dragon mart, cost aed 220 - I find it very good and it inflates my 265 75 16 tyres from 12 to 36 psi in around 2 mins per tyre. The stated 160 litres per minute is pretty good and higher flow helps with repairing pop outs.

No issues so far with reliability and for the money I wouldn't mind if I had to replace it once or twice :)
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

I have tried a number of different types; started with the dragonmart "camel" brand one, actually been through 3 of them, the first one I fitted to my TJ and sold it with it - pretty reliable for over a year, the other 2 I got were not so good! One burnt out after 3 or 4 uses. I then went for the TJM one, which is good value at AED 500 from the musaffah branch but is quite slow - 5 mins per tyre. That said, it is guaranteed for 5 years. I now have the ARB twin fitted onboard and it is amazing! If you want to try the TJM, I can sell you the one I have for 300 dhs, it has 4 years warranty left! PM me or call me if you are interested!

Jeremy
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

2017 Porsche Cayman 718 for On Road Fun!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 V8 (Silver Surfer) for light Off Road fun!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Bazinga!) Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Phoenix) - Retired Hurt :-(
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Manual (Green Giant) - Sold

albeshr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Which Compressor?

Post by albeshr »

Ace big Grunter compressor is a good choice. It inflates a tyre in approx 2.5 mins and costs AED 409 with one year warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Dare to Dream - Aim to Achieve"

SCORPIO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SCORPIO »

Discarding the brand or the source, please keep in mind :

* pressure capacity of a compressor is important but also
The flow is more important, make sure you get a 66 litters/min
Or above depending on your tire size. Low flow = long time to inflate = more overheating and abuse = shorter life

* brand name and warranty are important but there are some
Types of compressors @ dragon mart which might deserve the risk (Camel brand, 175 L/m @ less than 200 dhs) I have it since couple of Years and it's doing great but in this type of items it's a gamble

* stay away from carrefour and Co-op compressors

Jalal
YOU CAN NEVER SET OUT TO GET OUT FROM THIS LIFE ALIVE

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

In my opinion, the most important thing about an air compressor is the duty cycle. You should get as close to 100% duty cycle as you can afford. Higher duty cycle compressors are naturally more expensive.

The other point that should be considered is the CFM rate @ 90 psi. Many brands advertise their CFM rating & 0 psi which is pretty worthless.
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

Lutz wrote:Hi guys,

My name is Lutz and I'm new here in the Forum. I am 30, from Germany and looking for nice desert trips with awesome people.

I also got a question for you. Do you think it's worth it to invest into a ARB twin barrel compressor? I'm sure it's a great compressor but the 2300 AED I got it offered for... is not a small amount.

Thanks for comments and hopefully seeing you soon,
Lutz

very good offer.. go for it.. have a peace of mind :D
:mrgreen:
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Which Compressor?

Post by scotchyl »

I have 265/70/17 on my car and normally use bushranger super max. I just bought the single tank high output onboard compressor for a good price from arb. Based on flow rate advertised and asking couple of friends who have them, should be more than enough. If you get big tyres like 305 plus then double is a safer option as it can take the strain etc. And inboards can typically be fitted under the seat however double can get very hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.