Dual Battery Kit

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Dual Battery Kit

Post by scotchyl »

From memory there is a kit you can buy whcih has the plate and the switch system. i think manufacturer in America is Genesis Offroad Dual Battery Kit
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Deep sea
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Deep sea »

I've just installed a TJM IBS dual battery system and a winch on my LC 200.Amazingly the "technician" wanted connect the winch with the main battery.I've asked him not to do it but he insisted so I let him doing.Anyway from my cockpit I can choose to let run the two battery together for example on winch operation.I still have doubts for this kind of connection.
Next I'll install a dual arb compressor and I'll ask again to be connected on the Aux Bat.
Regarding live's battery I'm still having after 3 and 1/2 years the same battery.It's a Japanese brand coming from Toyota and no issue so far.This summer coming back from holiday was drained so I've removed the battery and recharged at home put back on place and still working perfectly.......but now I've a dual battery(lol).
Francesco

Rogue One
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Rogue One »

Francesco,

yes, with your TJM system, the winch is to be installed on the main battery with the aux. battery to be switched into the circuit to provide sufficient elec. power when the winch is used. During winch operation, the engine is running [alternator charging both batteries]

The aux. battery is to be used independently only for accessories which are used when the car's charging systems are off [engine off, alternator not charging the system] e.g. Fridge, VHF radios [to be powered on while engine is off]
or as dedicate backup battery [in case you need to jump start your own vehicle].
In this scenario, even if all your electrical consumers drain the aux. battery, you still have the main battery for starting the engine.

Where to put compressors, additional lights, etc. is mainly dictated by the total electrical load, capability of your charging system [alternator upgrade?], when they are operated [engine ON/OFF] and type of batteries used in your vehicle.

Typically, most installations have a main-high crank amp battery and a deep cycle aux. battery (which usually do not like to have high amp/peak consumers).

There is no def. correct/incorrect way of using 2 batteries since it is very specific on your applications, type of battery and usage.

Hope i was able to help adding a bit confusion to this topic :lol:

Deep sea
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Deep sea »

Many thanks for the clarification.I thought was quite wired connect the winch with the main battery but now is clear.And yes my idea was to put on parallel both battery for high electrical load,i.e. winch ops,while the compressor can be connected with the Aux batt.
Thanks again
Francesco