Quick Tyre Inflator Question

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Space Jockey

Post by Space Jockey »

Hi Everyone!

I'm just starting out driving off road and need to get the right equipment. I''m considering this as a combined jump starter and tyre inflator - any views?

http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/pro ... t/jus500ib

It has its own internal battery but cannot work off the car battery or 12v power port so must have a decent charge before you leave home - is that a fatal flaw if the main purpose is to use it to reinfalte after driving on sand? The manual says a single charge can fully inflate 3 tyres which might be enough to reinflate 4 back to normal at the end of a trip. It can jump a petrol engine up to 6.5 litres.

If not this, is there something else you would recommend?

Super thanks for any pointers!

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Quick Tyre Inflator Question

Post by Allan »

Hi Space Jockey,
Not certan what the capacity the pump and battery has nor what size tires you have.

Members will generally have either an onboard or 12v compressor. You can buy these in ACE or in Dragon Mart. I have an ARB double compressor installed onboard as you will have to inflate four tires in often very warm conditions.

As for the capacity as a jump starter, I would add that it probably is in order but in all trips you will be with other members who all have jump cables.

Suggest you join an ANIT trip and discuss with the marshal and other members which equipment they have.
JK
056 174 4147

Space Jockey

Post by Space Jockey »

Thanks so much Allan.

It looks like this isn't too suitable for the 265 60 R18 tyres on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The inflator works off an internal 12v DC battery and is capable of inflating up to 120psi, but having googled the manual it says it cannot be operated for more than 10mins (less in hot weather) before it overheats.

I don't think I can get an onboard compressor (I think this means something integrated into the vehicle), so would you recommend something that only works from connecting to the main battery (which seems like a lot of trouble), or something that goes into the 12 v power outlet in the car (which seems like it might blow a fuse and/or not have a long enough cable)? I've checked out ACE and they seem to have both, including some expensive bushranger pumps which look the part to the uninitiated!

I'll certainly check with the marshalls on the next newbie trip that comes up (ANIT = newbie?).

Kalahari
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kalahari »

Hi there
Agree fully with Allan above.

unless you have a specific need for the jump start capability, I would save the money and go straight to the ARB on board or the portable TMax compressors. The TMax sold in Dubai is Red and has a single head

The ARB has the highest flow rate, therefore pumps tyres fastest but is probably the most expensive.

Besides ARB, they are probably all made in China

Cheers Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew
056 264 0635
JK

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

The main things to look at when buying a compressor is the Capacity and brand.

For offroad - You need a Min 72Lpm of Air capacity
Brands: I will go for ARB, Bushranger; Viair; Tmax.

I cannot comment about other brands as I did not try them
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Ahmed Omar
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ahmed Omar »

Hi space I do recommend to visit ACE Yas island , they are offering a good discount for Bushrangers they have 2 models, AED900 and AED 1000 ( After AED200 discount) with 5 years warranty ... Welcome to AD4X4 and have a nice safe drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

Ahmed Omar wrote:Hi space I do recommend to visit ACE Yas island , they are offering a good discount for Bushrangers they have 2 models, AED900 and AED 1000 ( After AED200 discount) with 5 years warranty ... Welcome to AD4X4 and have a nice safe drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACE. Don't offer a 5 years warranty on Bushranger even it say 5years on the product carton,,

A good Bushranger will cost 1000dh. And it will not last more than 14 months". You can get nice one from Dragon Mart for 250dh. It will last one year!! So you are getting 4 for he price of one !!! Try it !!

:mrgreen:
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

There's a couple for sale in the souq section from members - Bushranger and TJM.

I picked up another camel compressor at dragon mart today for aed 220 (not aware if a brand name, it's red with a camel sticker, yellow tube, max air flow 160 litres per min), had 1 before until I sold it - inflates quickly, good for pop outs and never let me down :) plus if you don't have a radio yet you may be in dragon mart to get one of those anyway. .

The 12v cigarette lighter compressors are fine for topping up saloon cars and bicycles etc but limited and not really suitable for regular inflating 4 big tyres quickly, and no use for repairing pop outs.

You can pick up a pair of HD jump leads for aed 30 at dragon mart too - yiur car sounds quite new so hopefully not many battery issues, and in the desert you'll always be with other cars ;)
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100