RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
senigal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by senigal »

Hi

Do you think the Sport and Sahara Wrangler versions are better options to the Rubicon when it comes to desert driving?

So differentials are not covered under warranty?? If this is the case there is no point of me buying the Rubicon, I wanted it to go everywhere... 'Reinforcing the differentials': what do they actually do? How much would it cost me?

I know Toyota makes the best 4x4s in terms of durability and reliability but I a finding it hard to like the FJ Cruiser :(

The FJ Extreme comes with FOX suspension and performance exhaust and some other design changes... But not sure if I want to own anything other than the legendary Jeep Wrangler... Maybe I should test drive the FJ...

Daggerfall wrote:It is ready for rock crawling type of offroading. Not for the high speed desert drive. And the very first thing you will damage is the front differential (It can even happen in a newbie level drive) . And replacing it under warranty is always an issue. My friend with the same car had this problem.

Dave
Every car has an issue,,,, Rubicon , you must reinforce the deffrential before it can go safely to desert !!!

FJ. Visibility is very bad,,, .. :D
:mrgreen:[/quote]
Senigal Supertramp
050-8528119
Land Cruiser 200
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences. :)

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

Reinforcement
attachment.jpg
jk6010a.jpg

cost about 3000 DH..
:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by Zeebzog »

At the end of the day I think it comes down to personal preference. For me I like the FJ. I have an Xtreme version so the visibility is even worse than stock due to the additional hump in the bonnet, but you get used to it. Even visibility out of the side windows is reduced compared to a jeep. However it is a solid car, never really had a problem going anywhere I wanted to go in it, stays cool even in summer whilst some jeeps struggle with the heat and so far has been completely reliable. I feel that as long as you have confidence in your car, don't drive beyond your own capability you can't go far wrong with a Jeep, FJ, Nissan Safari SWB etc. I have seen them all in the desert and all of them can keep up when driven by someone who knows the car well. I have also seen all of them get stuck in areas where you would have thought a 2wd would have passed very easily when driven by someone who is not used to them and the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Daggerfall »

I agree that the FJ is not a "love at first sight" but in time you will love it.It is like a rock!. You can go anywhere and do anything with it if you develop your driving skills as well.And you can improve the looks and agility of the FJ too. In the end all jeep owners modify their cars, why FJ deserves less?

Some samples I like:

https://www.google.ae/search?q=black+fj ... 1QNYZjM%3A

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/w ... ood-2.html

I would go for GXR instead of Xtreme which has all the off-road features.
Diff locks
A-Trac
Crawl Control (Works amazing when you get stuck, its similar to magic button on Jeep)
Off-road flags

And you can buy a much better suspension with the price difference.
The only thing you need to change before going to desert is the skid plate (8mm aluminum 1500AED) nothing else.

You have a second fuel tank where other has to carry a jerry can you can go to liwa drive all day come back , spend the week and then you can fill it again.:)

And it is like a saloon car on the highways and feels much spacious inside comparison to Jeep because of the dashboard design.

But as mentioned Jeeps, FJs , Patrols , Xterra and Kia :))) are great off-road cars . You just need to decide what is more important for you.
Last edited by Daggerfall on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I feel the need....the need for speed!!

050 725 09 31

senigal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by senigal »

Hi Gladiator,

This means I will have to replace both Front & Rear Dana 44 Axles? Am I correct to assume that they will remove existing axle/differential and replace the whole set? Or are they just strengthening existing one with stronger supports/parts?

Cant I use it until these existing Axles get bent (hopefully not), Jeep claims these axles are stronger than previous generation, any truth in that? If I wait till these ones eventually get bent/damaged will other parts also get damaged?

One of my friends have got his front axle reinforced in Jeep-Western Motors, does this mean they are upgrading existing axle to make it more stronger?

My technical knowledge is not too strong in the above subject, so kindly bear with me if I am full of silly questions... :D
Gladiator wrote:Reinforcement
attachment.jpg
jk6010a.jpg

cost about 3000 DH..
Senigal Supertramp
050-8528119
Land Cruiser 200

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

senigal wrote:Hi Gladiator,

This means I will have to replace both Front & Rear Dana 44 Axles? Am I correct to assume that they will remove existing axle/differential and replace the whole set? Or are they just strengthening existing one with stronger supports/parts?

Cant I use it until these existing Axles get bent (hopefully not), Jeep claims these axles are stronger than previous generation, any truth in that? If I wait till these ones eventually get bent/damaged will other parts also get damaged?

One of my friends have got his front axle reinforced in Jeep-Western Motors, does this mean they are upgrading existing axle to make it more stronger?

My technical knowledge is not too strong in the above subject, so kindly bear with me if I am full of silly questions... :D
Gladiator wrote:Reinforcement

attachment.jpg
jk6010a.jpg

cost about 3000 DH..
Answer is NO. You don't have to replace the Dana 44 front back,,,
Dana 44 back no issues,,,
Dana 44 front I didn't say replace,, I said reinforced ..means make the axle housing stronger as it is a bit weak for our sport.. Usually they remove the Front Dana 44. Then either they put a reinforcement kitt on it to make it stronger. Or they send it to a shop to add more steel around it to make it stronger ..

If you do it now while new , you will pay for the kitt and installation only,cost around 3000 dh. but if you wait till its damaged. Then you have to pay for all around 10,000dh maybe more..

You can drive it for newbie trips no issues. But you will never know when the shit coming. Like insurance,, you don't know when you needed but it's a must have,,
Gladiator

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

senigal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by senigal »

Thanks All,

Understood, Gladiator, I could do the reinforcement at Western Motors itself.

Now I am stuck between Rubicon and FJ Cruiser Xtreme...

I will take my time and do some test drives...

Cheers
Senigal Supertramp
050-8528119
Land Cruiser 200

barish
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by barish »

Hello dear,

I will make it very simple for you;

1) If you just want to drive an offroad car, go with FJ. If you want to enjoy offroading, go with Jeep.

2) If you want a clean car shining, go with FJ. If you want a car with own attitude even while dirty, go with Jeep.

3) If you want a car, go with FJ. If you want a Jeep, you don’t have any better option than going with Jeep.

4) If you want a noticeable and extra-ordinary thing on the road, parking space, etc., go with Jeep. If you are a driver satisfied with norms, go with FJ.

5) FJ is a 4x4, Jeep is a school..

Don’t forget; you will always see friends make fun of you about your frequent garage visits. No need to tell them that you are taking your Jeep not to be fixed but just improving your Jeep coz you love your Jeep! They will never understand this love, coz it is a Jeep thing…

If you want, you can also review the below link;

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... ice=mobile

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by Daggerfall »

Dear Senigal

Remember the names who made you buy a jeep when you are changing your 3rd engine in 2 years :)))))

barish wrote:Hello dear,

I will make it very simple for you;

1) If you just want to drive an offroad car, go with FJ. If you want to enjoy offroading, go with Jeep.

2) If you want a clean car shining, go with FJ. If you want a car with own attitude even while dirty, go with Jeep.

3) If you want a car, go with FJ. If you want a Jeep, you don’t have any better option than going with Jeep.

4) If you want a noticeable and extra-ordinary thing on the road, parking space, etc., go with Jeep. If you are a driver satisfied with norms, go with FJ.

5) FJ is a 4x4, Jeep is a school..

Don’t forget; you will always see friends make fun of you about your frequent garage visits. No need to tell them that you are taking your Jeep not to be fixed but just improving your Jeep coz you love your Jeep! They will never understand this love, coz it is a Jeep thing…

If you want, you can also review the below link;

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... ice=mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

050 725 09 31

barish
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by barish »

Dear Senigal, as you can see an FJ owner feels the need to convince you to buy an FJ and sends tons of posts in here:))))))))

Jeep is just above, simple...becoz it is Jeep...!

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Daggerfall »

Ohh I forgot to tell. If you are going to buy a jeep don't forget to buy a spare one :)))))))

050 725 09 31

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

Daggerfall wrote:Ohh I forgot to tell. If you are going to buy a jeep don't forget to buy a spare one :)))))))

Not true. :D

I have a 2008. Rubicon,,, now it has 166000km. Go check record at WM. Normal service,, I had to change the fan clutch 2 weeks ago,,, I want to till you something. I changed my front break pads on 63000 at WM. For 630 Dh.

Now my jeep has 166000 same break pads,, since 2008. Changed one time only,,,,, show me a car in the market with this record. Knowing that my jeep every weekend in the desert,,,, so no need for a spare one!!!

Record in WM. Go check it out !,,

You can't compare FJ and jeep. Different cars. Different class. Driven by different people,,,
Gladiator

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Sounds like you really want an F150 but know the Jeep makes more sense but then wonder if you were missing a trick not getting an FJ.
Bet you wished you had never asked! :lol:
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Daggerfall »

Don't get me wrong I love jeeps, I was even considering to buy one :) ,it is beautiful, very very capable (I gave more stars than FJ) and it is very hard to resist its legend which I already mentioned before.

I had the same struggle and every time I considered buying one I saw a jeep on top of a recovery truck or heard from a friend they are changing their engines, transmission or broken drive shaft. Maybe its not the car but the drivers which jeep make them try extreme, I don't know but its a fact that there something called "A jeep thing"

I am happy for you that you didn't have any problems so far and hope it will be like this in the future. I was just teasing with a friend (Barish)

As mentioned before . It is more about what is your expectation from a car.

cheers!
Gladiator wrote:
Daggerfall wrote:Ohh I forgot to tell. If you are going to buy a jeep don't forget to buy a spare one :)))))))

Not true. :D

I have a 2008. Rubicon,,, now it has 166000km. Go check record at WM. Normal service,, I had to change the fan clutch 2 weeks ago,,, I want to till you something. I changed my front break pads on 63000 at WM. For 630 Dh.

Now my jeep has 166000 same break pads,, since 2008. Changed one time only,,,,, show me a car in the market with this record. Knowing that my jeep every weekend in the desert,,,, so no need for a spare one!!!

Record in WM. Go check it out !,,

You can't compare FJ and jeep. Different cars. Different class. Driven by different people,,,

050 725 09 31

senigal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by senigal »

Here is the score so far
Jeep - 9
FJ - 7
F150 -6
If Jeeps are reliable I am going for it...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Senigal Supertramp
050-8528119
Land Cruiser 200