Wrangler - Automatic VS Manual

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Waldemar
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Waldemar »

Hi,
I am looking to get a Jeep in the upcoming week or two. Looking to get a JKU Manual.
I would like to get your feedback on the differences between Automatic and Manual gearboxes.
My point of view is:

Automatic:
- on the "tiptronic" mode it will shift gears up and down as necessary, won't keep it on the gear you want
- automatic transmission will always loose some power due to the hydro-kinetic clutch
- faster gear shift
- more durable off-road (clutch will burn ]:D)

Manual
- put you in control, you always have the gear that you want
- no loss of power
- more fun ? (maybe not for everyone)
- I will have to upgrade the clutch

I'm waiting for your feedback. let me know what your view and issues you have with you gearbox of choice.

Thanks,
Waldemar
JKU
0555 46 43 77

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

I drove 3.8 manual and now 3.6 auto rubicon. Both 2 door.

Loved manual and being able to be decisive and have instant power. Pain if stuck as clutch will go after a while.

Auto has really stupid auto shift at 5,500 rpm. But you can master it after a while in desert.

I never drive in D always drive using gears and I can say it rocks. Yes it's the 4.10 geared rubicon but I only used the lockers like 4 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Post by joergpietzsch »

I have a JKU Rubicon 2015 Automatic.
Started driving "manual", but now always drive in D. Have never had problems due to the automatic.
You need to get use to it to know when to use the kick-down, but once you do - D is perfect for any drive...
It also has a big advantage: in D, it goes quickly back from 2nd to 1st gear when under full power at a dune (for example the Sweihan Big Bowl), which allows you to go further than most of the manual shifters.
Also - the 3.6 Liter with the Rubicon ratio has enough power to cover the loss of the automatic...

I would never change!

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12

Topdrive
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Wrangler - Automatic VS Manual

Post by Topdrive »

Jeep Wrangler still has the old fashioned converter auto clutch from Mercedes as a result from the earlier Mercedes / Chrysler cooperation. Modern double clutch auto transmissions are far better by all means.
Nevertheless the Wrangler auto tranny works pretty well with the 3.6 Pentastar in my JK Sahara. I am fine with it in the dunes. Nearly everything can be done in High D; in tricky situations I lock into High 1.
You will hardly find strong technical arguments in this matter. The fun factor is a different story.

Martin

Georges
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Georges »

I am driving a JKU 2014 auto and loves it. When on 4 high I shift between first and second gear. It never goes up automatically from first to second but if I am in second and drive too slow it will shift to first. For me it does not bother me.

On 4L I drive between 3rd and 4th gear. No issues neither. If there is a very big dune where I am making a sporty dune sloping and I am in 4L, I put it on 3rd gear before accelerating and remains there even at 6,000 rpm. It will only change to 4th gear if I push the leaver.

Own experience.

Good luck.
Cheers
Georges
JKU 2014
Mob: 0559740888

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ancient Mariner »

.and if you venture out of the sand and do any rock crawling the auto box is a lot more forgiving IMHO

Martin
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

I had the 2012 auto which will lock into 1st, and I will say that the auto was more capable and more forgiving than the manual I am driving now. This was especially true on side slopes where the auto will grunt through and turn down, but the manual may stall and leave you in an awkward position.

But the manual is a lot more fun. And the point of going is to have more fun. So I would go with the manual.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .