Ford F-150

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
hierarchize

Ford F-150

Post by hierarchize »

Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a F150 4 doors ,having few mods like a 2inch lift and shock absorbers , skid plate etc etc. the main question is , the F150 will it be a good choice? Family of four so thought 4 doors are better and comfortable for the kids. It will be a used not brand new. So anyone who is owning F150 here would be a great if you can give me some tips and recommendations .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe in your self!

PearlyGates59
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Ford F-150

Post by PearlyGates59 »

Hi there!

I have a Ford Raptor F150 and it's great! I did a lot of research before buying and one of my main concerns was space for my two kids in the back. The 4 door clearly has more legroom but I ended up going for the shorter wheelbase 2+2 door model. The longer wheelbase 4 door has a really long wheelbase which makes cresting dunes and manoeuvring in tight spaces a challange. That said there are members who run the long wheelbase models with few issues; one guy particularly is a great driver and can give you lots of advice - you can search members for BBQBear - he's the man!
My short wheelbase Raptor has plenty of room for the kids - I've even had tall adults in the back with no problems.
The other thing is that with regular F150s (not Raptors), is that they do need some mods to make them suitable for anything more than very basic desert driving. A lift is a must for starters, plus upgrades to the shocks and suspension. Also you may wish to consider some engine mods (air filter, exhaust etc) which will improve your torque delivery. The Raptor has plenty of power as standard, but you'll have to ask BBQ Bear (Kevin) about improvements to the regular F150s.

I consider myself to be an average / decent driver, and for me the short wheelbase F150 / Raptor is just about on the limit of what I'd be comfortable with. It's still a massive truck, and cresting dunes is quite challanging - anything longer and I think I'd start having grounding issues!

Anyway - that's my thoughts! The Raptor is an amazing truck and as I said, even the short wheelbase model has loads of space in the back - at least as much legroom as you'd get in most 4x4s - there's more space in the back of mine than in an FJ Cruiser or a Jeep for example.

Hope that helps!

Matt
Matt - Pearlygates59
Ford Raptor aka The Silver Shark

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Ford F-150

Post by BBQBear »

So here is the deal:

As far as off-roading is concerned each vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages. With the F150 regular models the 1.5 cab and the 4 door can have the same wheel base. The 1.5 cab has a little longer bed than the 4 door. So overall they are the same. The 2 door is the shortest. As far as mods, I did 11 newbie drives before putting a lift kit on. You don't necessarily need a 4-6 inch lift. You can do a 2.5 leveling kit for around 1600 AED or so. That will get you through a lot. If you need a little more and don't want to spend more money you can take off the running boards and get about 1.5 more inch clearance. The Raptor 1.5 cab is shorter than the regular F150 1.5 cab. It also comes with a skid plate and a higher front bumper which is a plus. It has a 6.2L engine with 4.10 gears instead of the 3.55 in the regular which can equate to sucking down gas even more than a regular. Around 240 AED to fill up with super and gets you around 800 km or so I think. The 5.0 will be around 930km a tank.

Here are some things to be aware of. It is a heavy vehicle and the turning radius is not great but it is capable. Where it has those issues it makes up for in power. You will have power all day. No problem there. I also drive a Jeep Wrangler in the desert at times. Two very different driving styles. Almost at the opposite ends of the spectrum. You need to really understand how your vehicle works with the physics if off roading to drive the F150 well. The Jeep is more forgiving in the desert. It has a good power to weight ratio and good turning radius and clearance. But I would not want to drive it on the road as a regular car. It isn't as comfortable to drive, is much noisier, and doesn't have the space. But are fun in the desert.

As far as mods for an F150, we have all that worked out, know where to go, who to deal with and so on. If you wanted to know the cost of modifying a regular F150 to get it to where you less issues it will be around 1600 for a leveling kit, and I would get a PCM tuner that will be around 1800, and an air filter for around 2000. You don't need them all at once. But as time goes on you will probably want them. If I were in your position and wanting an F150 I would find a good used Raptor with the 1.5 cab. It will have everything you need, won't need mods, and you can probably get a good price.

If you contact Terminator on here he can help you. He is the used car sales manager for ford in Abu Dhabi. He can get what you need for sure. As far as driving one, don't worry about that, Tony007, Terminator and myself can help you anytime with whatever you need. The Marshals in the club also know their stuff. They understand how to teach others how to drive their vehicle.

The last thing is side cresting. The side curtain air bags can not be shut off (at least not yet, but we will find a way lol). They are sensitive. You need to really understand how to side crest in these. But that is at the advanced level. you can have plenty of fun at newbie and intermediate with very little worries. It isn't that side creating can't be done in them but there are times where I have needed to straight crest over a fine instead of side crest simply because I couldn't ride the top long enough or was to steep on a side that may have caused the air bags to go off. But don't worry. Where the others will have to side crest because of not enough power, you will have plenty.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me. I will offer any insight I can.

If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

Kidd_pa
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kidd_pa »

The F150 is by far much better than most off-road vehicles, and i mean in consideration of having fun in the sand, together with the whole family in your truck... my advise would be run it and learn it (your vehicle) at stock, to know what potential it has at its current stage, then you will get the feel of your necessities. I started of at stock FX4, and then got it levelled at intermediate level (2Inch Level kit) for AED1000 at Fancy Auto in Musaffah. Also as kevin said, get a Tuner and an Air Filter (Volant) AED2200 and a Catback exhaust (Ranging from AED3500 - AED5500) for the best stock performance possible. Thom is a Marshal here, and is still running on a stock - "0" Zero mods F150 FX4 :) .

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Hamzah
050-5112368

Abu Dhabi -
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Appearance Package - Roush to be :)
2010 GMC Sierra 3500HD - Std. to the bone
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Mopar full-on kit

Kidd_pa
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kidd_pa »

Sorry forgot to mention the price for the Bullydog GT Platinum 40417 - Gas Tuner from Fancy Auto in Musafah for AED1650. Dont get the 40415 version as it has less functions (Well thats what Kevin taught me) :D

Hamzah
050-5112368

Abu Dhabi -

Thom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Thom »

Hi hierarchize

Great advice from the fellow F150 drivers below. I agree with all that has already been said and will give some additional info for consideration.

Good plan to go for second hand and my advice is find a well looked after vehicle regardless of mods. If modified, make sure it was done by a reputable shop and if not sure, have it checked out by somebody that knows their stuff.

The only mod I did was to remove the "Air Dam" under the front bumper. It's just a big plastic sand shovel waiting to rip off during a reverse recovery. Otherwise my FX4 is stock standard.

I currently run on the standard 20" rims with Pirelli Scorpion 275/55/20 tyres deflated to 14psi on the front and 12psi on the rear. The sidewalls on the Scorpions are soft, so bear that in mind when driving near vegetation or dry trees/bushes. I've dropped the pressures further when in very soft stuff, but you need to know what you are doing if you want to avoid pop-outs.

I've not found an easy way of completely switching off the ABS and traction control only. You have a few options each having advantage and disadvantage. You can deactivate with the TCS button, but it will just reactivate itself once the speed exceeds 35mph. You can also drive in L, but the ABS still kicks in from time to time. The safest is (I always do this in Liwa or other areas with high dunes) to remove Fuse 36. It will deactivate traction control, ABS, transfer case selection and diff-lock (if fitted). It's a bit of a pain if you want to switch between H and L, but generally not an issue as you can still go at considerable pace on the flat with the 6-speed auto.

Power. I won't go into that any further. :lol:

Fuel tank 125l - no need for extra fuel containers on any normal day trip.

Space wise, there is nothing out there that beats it. Most memorable moment for me was sleeping under the stars in the back on a super-king size memory foam mattress.

Curtain Airbags - Keep your driving level to Intermediate and below to avoid the unwelcome pop (Disclaimer - this is by no means a guarantee that the curtain airbags will not deploy during a newbie/intermediate trip, but purely advice based on the personal experience of a few of the club members).

Mods on my wish list..... 2" Fox levelling and 295/60R20 tyres.

All in all a great truck to use on-road and off. I love taking it on long drives. It is super comfortable and you will be surprised the difference in other road users behaviour. My experience in general is that there is a lot more respect for a car of the F150's size on the road compared with other 4x4s.

You will find there is a close-knit and very supportive F150 community that will offer advice at any time. You are most welcome to call if you have any questions.

Good luck.

JK 2012 - "White Rhino"
F150 FX4 2014 - "Canis Majoris"
FB - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005220737029

Terminator
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Terminator »

hi there

the guys did an awesome job detailing every area that you need to look at... but I would still recommend a front bull bar or offroad bumper otherwise even in intermediate level (lots of straight cresting) you will have a pain having the factory front bumper re-aligned after almost every trip.

bull bar is about 700 dhs and the offroad bumpers are different, you can custom make one for about 2500 dhs (the only issue is its weight as its a bit too heavy), nfap bumpers are between 3600 to 6200 dhs.

one more thing: all the F150's 2014 M/Y and below that is equipped with 5.0 engine has the 3.55 axle ratio. if you go with 315/70/17 tire size (changing wheels) or if you go for 295/60/20 tire size you will feel power lost, (F150's equipped with such sizes are equipped with either the 6.2L engine or the 4.10 axle ratio or both at once. replacing the factory 275/55/20 with a regular 275/60/20 will do a good job to avoid tire rubbing and maintain power, fuel consumption and acceleration (unless you will replace the wheels and go for the 285/70/17 as that would be a perfect setup.

please do not hesitate to contact any of us for questions or info

best of luck
Ford F150

hierarchize

Ford F-150

Post by hierarchize »

Wow I am speechless I don't think even a tech advisor will be this helpful , humbled by all. Thanks a lot guys. No one gave me this much info. Will keep you posted .

Believe in your self!

hierarchize

Ford F-150

Post by hierarchize »

Just another quick question , what's the fuel consumption for the four door? As I have two boys 4 and 2 the space and comfort plays a part. I am so happy I joined this group. Awesome help. If you have a one for sale just let me know, I don't have a big budget, but that determination and enthusiasm to own one ha ha. Hope I get it sorted before end of this year.

Believe in your self!

hierarchize

Ford F-150

Post by hierarchize »

I started following all of you who have helped in case I need any kind of advise I will PM

Believe in your self!

Kidd_pa
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kidd_pa »

There is a raptor available for sale. 42000km, 2010 model, it comes equipped with a front offroad bumper and is very clean as all inspections and services and maintenance done with the dealer. Call the owner for more info. 056 778 6116 hes asking 120k, nego it down a bit more

Hamzah
050-5112368

Abu Dhabi -

hierarchize

Ford F-150

Post by hierarchize »

Thanks bro . Will have a look

Believe in your self!

Thom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Thom »

hierarchize wrote:Just another quick question , what's the fuel consumption for the four door?
It depends very much on how you drive it.

I got about 1000km on the first tank(125l), but it is because I followed the dealers instructions and kept the engine revs below 3000rpm.

Nowadays I manage about 800km on a tank with a mix of town and highway driving thrown in.

JK 2012 - "White Rhino"
F150 FX4 2014 - "Canis Majoris"
FB - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005220737029

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Ford F-150

Post by BBQBear »

I am also around 800. I drive aggressively. As a side note, a bulldog tuner does have an economy setting. Put I wasn't interested in trying that out lol.

If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

Nen82

Post by Nen82 »

Another F150 driver here.

Honestly, the more I drive it, the more I love it. It's a great car.

I do really appreciate this thread. Although I am an experienced mechanic, I am not familiar with this model and is really nice to count on experienced drivers/modders of the F150.

I drive a 2012 F150 FX4 1.5 cab with a 6 in. lift kit and 325 60 R20 Pirelli Scorpion doughnuts on it. Just bought it like that, I haven't modified anything on it myself yet.

I have even removed something in the dashboard called Diablo Trinity T1000, until I have the time to fiddle with it a bit. Is it any good?

The only thing I have in mind is fitting on it a fenders flare kit since the tyres stick out of the body a couple of inches and the guys from the technical inspection are not really thrilled about it. Plus every pool I pass sprays mud all over the sides.

I also want to remove the black vinyl wrap that the previous owner applied to the chrome wheels. It is tearing apart and looks quite crappy.

I hope to see those F150 around soon!

Nen82