Dyno test Nissan patrol 4,8l

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

we start today with an members car to see what hp the car in real have ...car have unichip that’s all rest stock base should be 230 hp ....
but only 200 hp was there
so we start to remove the snorkel and we gain 25 hp then we switch unichip in program 2 (race mode) same result then we remove unichip from car and we gain 1 hp .......
we make some tiger mods on the intake system "not street legal " and gain 40 hp with no other mods ..........
and fix all back together ........

so all just for info .........

under the pics is an small description what was done on the run .....

IMG-20151118-WA0010_resized.jpg[/attachment]

so we see only 200 hp at the beginning ......
20151118_175606_resized.jpg
[attachment=0]20151118_175722_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)

abualabed
Advanced
Advanced

Post by abualabed »

So what I understand that if I remove the snorkel I'll have an extra 25 hp.

Proud to be AD4x4 member.
Nissan patrol
khaled awadallah

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Zeebzog »

But is this a valid test for a snorkel? My understanding is that a snorkel should make a positive difference at speed where it should provide cooler, cleaner air into the engine, potentially with the air ram effect actually providing more air into the engine than not having one. I would have expected to see either zero gain to small positive from a snorkel under these conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubicon
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Dyno test Nissan patrol 4,8l

Post by rubicon »

Hi Oliver,

Which dayno you are using ? and what is the Max HP for Patrol ?
Ahmed Mohammed Al Blooshi.

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xf5nuzHmBM

Having a snorkel is like trying to breath through a straw....
Travelling in my truck...

hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

Snorkel make -25 HP .......but wiht small mods we compensate the lost of power ...

This is 100 %valid test for snorkel will kill power .....ram air effect you never get wiht snorkel will go oposit at higher speed only purpose for snorkel is to go deeper in water .....

Maha lps 3000 4x4 dyno wiht 1360 kW brake power 2x 1,2m size high presure fans for cooling the produce wins peed inside dynoroom up to 180 km/h............only 1 in gcc :D

Max waht I me sure Nissan 1250 HP at engine ......
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)

Grant-b
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Grant-b »

Tiger mods? 40hp? Do tell.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rubicon
Marshal
Marshal

Post by rubicon »

hubiheu wrote:Snorkel make -25 HP .......but wiht small mods we compensate the lost of power ...

This is 100 %valid test for snorkel will kill power .....ram air effect you never get wiht snorkel will go oposit at higher speed only purpose for snorkel is to go deeper in water .....

Maha lps 3000 4x4 dyno wiht 1360 kW brake power 2x 1,2m size high presure fans for cooling the produce wins peed inside dynoroom up to 180 km/h............only 1 in gcc :D

Max waht I me sure Nissan 1250 HP at engine ......

Thanks .
Ahmed Mohammed Al Blooshi.

abualabed
Advanced
Advanced

Post by abualabed »

Valuable information

Nissan patrol
khaled awadallah

Mohamed Aly
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Mohamed Aly »

Thank you all for the valuable info .
But we need Final recommendation please.
Should I
1. Fix Snorkel to reduce sand going to the fillter and loose 25 HP
or
2. No need for Snorkel in sand driving, better to keep higher HP and clean the filter periodically.

Please Vote. 1 Or 2
Or advice better approach
Regards,

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Mohamed Aly***** 0508555152
Patrol Safari SWB

hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

remove the snorkel and Thake the air from inside the fender but need some moods to be sealed otherwise too much sand will go in the filter and stay with stock filter element the race filter is too hard to maintain and most of the sand go true the racing filter ....
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Good practical information Oliver.

For non-technical people - the theory is very simple; the more air you can get into the engine, the more fuel can be added hence more power is released during combustion with the correct mixture. Hence the reason why 'blown' motors (supercharged or turbo charged) have a higher horsepower output. To get more in, the blown motors tend to have an intercooler, which cools the 'compressed' air before it enters the intake manifold - lower temp air = higher volume of air = more fuel can be added. Without a turbo or supercharger, the only way to get 'cooler' air is to move the air intake away as far as possible from heat sources ie the engine. Hence one of the reasons for fitting a snorkel.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. I have fitted a snorkel with a pre-filter from AEV which prevents sand and reduces dust particles entering my air intake. In my case, and the case for most of us who drive in sand (especially JK/JKU), the position of the air box intake is extremely vulnerable to sand ingestion, and blocks the stock filter very quickly when driving at the higher levels. I know of 2 or 3 JK owners with Pentastars who have had sand pass through their filters and into their engines causing failure and needed new engines. Many people fit 'cold air' intakes to replace the stock box, which can provide a small HP increase, however do also increase the risk of sand particles getting through the filter (more air/more fuel/more power!) as it has larger holes to allow more air through. Some people fit a pre-filter cover over the CAI filter which effectively restricts the air again as it has smaller holes. Net gain - zero! Most people think they have more power as the intake noise is increased.

So, if you are obsessed with HP, work with people like Oliver who are experts in engine tuning. If you want to protect your engines from sand damage - make sure you clean your filter before and after every desert trip, don't fit a CAI (!) and consider using a snorkel if you have a JK.

:ad4x4:
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

2017 Porsche Cayman 718 for On Road Fun!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 V8 (Silver Surfer) for light Off Road fun!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Bazinga!) Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Phoenix) - Retired Hurt :-(
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Manual (Green Giant) - Sold

hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

we test on nissan patrol for jeep we will do saturnday to see waht happend there.....
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

The best result was 174.4KW (234rwhp) at 4875rpm with 381.6Nm (281rwtq) at 3800rpm, which is about what I'd expect from a stock Nissan 4.8 engine. Since we're on the subject of snorkels, I'll bust some myths about them right here:

1. There's no "ram air" effect in a snorkel. Air likes to travel in a straight line so it isn't going to travel at any speed when it has to make four 90 degree turns through a snorkel and airbox to reach the engine.

2. Snorkels DON'T add horsepower. By adding more length to the intake with the aforementioned 90* turns, you're asking the engine to breathe through a longer straw. Try doing that yourself and you'll soon be gasping for air!

3. You DON'T need a snorkel driving through sand. Snorkels are meant to raise the intake opening high enough above the ground so that the engine doesn't inhale water when fording streams, lakes, or rivers. As far as I know, you're not taking your offroader scuba diving in the desert! ;) If anything, a snorkel increases the likelihood of the engine inhaling flying dust so you'd need to add a pre-filter to trap it and by doing that, you've just placed a sock at the end of that long straw and smothered the engine altogether.

4. A snorkel might look cool on an offroader and make it look like it has a big phallus, but the bottom line is that it's totally useless in the desert. Just keep the stock airbox/filter, route the opening in the inner fenderwell (JK owners take note) where the plastic fender liner should keep the dust out, and clean the air filter after every desert trip.
Last edited by DinoStroker on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

hubiheu
Advanced
Advanced

Post by hubiheu »

:ad4x4:

exactly ...
Toyota Landcruiser 100

[ ] [ ] [ ][___]__
|--- l l -Lo=TOYOTA=o]
()_)---()_) --o-- ()_)