Engine experts on board?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Dragunov

Engine experts on board?

Post by Dragunov »

Hi Gents,

I need your help...

Is it possible that a piston hitting the valve is causing a broken headgasket?
Anyway, under what circumstances its likely a piston will hit a valve? I was driving 40-50 km/h @2000 RPM when broke down, and i don't know if i can trust the mechanic or he is trying to cover his ***...

Regards:
Drag

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Yes it is possible. Sometimes it even happens on a lower RPMs and speed, depends on your car model and year. If the engine is old or over heated or maybe the oil is low or needs some adjustments, this problem might happen.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Dragunov

Post by Dragunov »

Thx iguana...

no overheat (oil was checked around 3 times a day, temperature sensor proven to be OK)...
inline 6, Patrol, yr 1990...not a fresh piece! 370000 kms by the meter, but some Patrols are doing even above half a million...
I dunno what to think...maybe I have to go and replace the block...was thinking on the 4.8 V8 before...
is the paperwork a lots of hassle here for this?

Drag

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

Dragunov wrote:Thx iguana...

no overheat (oil was checked around 3 times a day, temperature sensor proven to be OK)...
inline 6, Patrol, yr 1990...not a fresh piece! 370000 kms by the meter, but some Patrols are doing even above half a million...
I dunno what to think...maybe I have to go and replace the block...was thinking on the 4.8 V8 before...
is the paperwork a lots of hassle here for this?

Drag
honestly, YES :mrgreen:
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Yes you are right, some patrols has done more than half a million KM. However, the car was well treated during this half a million. You don't know how the previous owner was treating this car.

I can tell you, most of us are taking our cars to the dessert, use the engine to the max. Power and push it to the end. However, our engines are very clean because we trat our babies very nicly when it comes to service.

4.8 will be a great option, but as you said, paper work is too much.

I think such an issue should be inspected by a good mechanic if you are planning to take the car to the dessert, it has to be in mint condition.

We have a lot of patrol owners over here who can advice you were to go based on thier experience.

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

Good morinng guyz

drag
this thing may happen in any patrol esppcially if it is old , but it is a good idea to install a 4.8 V6 engine v-tec and it doesnt need alot of paper work , only the engine number needs to be changed in the moror , and you it will pass the tests that they do because when installing this engine you will not do anything to the chasis it will fit directly and other t hing it is a nissan engine so they will not say anything .
but it will cost you around 30 thousand to do all this because if you ochanged the engine you will need to change the gear and both defrentails .

but if you dicided to fix the engine you have and do some upgardes in it it will cost you alot less than that .
well if i were you , ill do the following , boading & polish the head 2mm or 1.5(in this the cars temprature will never go high and will give you more torque) , change the pistons with heavy duty ones , and if you wanna give it more power
CAM crower stange 2 will do good job and a dimond creberter. (beleive me it will be a monster :evil: )

in my estimation this will cost you around 5 -8 thousand and your car will be a monster .

there are many garges that do that , if you were in AD you have a garage called snake he is an expert in this stuff , you also have red dragon . these two i know are very good in modifying a nissan with the above modification.

if you needed any help dont hesitate to call me
050-6137070 Amro
Zee Godzilla
15 Nissan SWB Fully modified & Ready

Its my way or the high way :D

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

kalemero, you are the Nissan expert.

Drag, I think you got all the naswers by now

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Are you sure guys the VTC 4.8 liter Patrol engine is V6?????? as far as I know its inline and not V design. :oops: :idea:

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

:mrgreen:
thanks iquana :lol

i love this the nissan it my babe (plastic car ) lol
Zee Godzilla

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

khaiwi wrote:Are you sure guys the VTC 4.8 liter Patrol engine is V6?????? as far as I know its inline and not V design. :oops: :idea:
kahwi it is inline you are right yeah but iam used to say V lol when talking about cylinders lol i dunno why
Zee Godzilla

Dragunov

Post by Dragunov »

Thx Gents!

seems its an engine replacement anyway as 3 out of the 6 cylinders dead (valve, piston and pushrod as well), including the cylinders....
4.8 is injection only model, not an option for me as im trying to keep it free of electronics...
once the engine work done i think im going to visit one of the garages recommended by Amro
the car right know is in Dubai, with the previous mechanic. WHEN the old lady will be able to get back to AUH on her OWN feet, I will have it checked at one of the two garages...

Thx again...
Drag
Patrol, what else? <br />Si vis pacem, para bellum!<br />That which does not kill you makes you stronger.<br />

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

okik then drag

just feel free to call me if you needed company :lol:
and ill give you the guy's # incase you wanted to talk to him

050-4444878 his name is Abdualrahman
he is the owner of snake grage .
Zee Godzilla

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

def keep your old engine and work on it from there.
dont change it to an injection...difficult to get the ECU bit right..and ECU's are expensive if u fry them...

oligofriend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by oligofriend »

if you wanna be a nissan patrol owner especially 1990 to 1997, be a mechanic first !! :D :D :D lol
nissan patrol spirit!!
my lovely unbeatable old lady (patrol 1992).....LAND CRUISER KILLER!!!

Dragunov

Post by Dragunov »

Thx Oligo,

i have already fixed the exhaust in the middle of a wadi (dry, thx for God) :D
So I think im on my way to become a mechanic soon.
:wink:

Regards:
Drag