FJ Tire advice

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
futureshock999
Advanced
Advanced

FJ Tire advice

Post by futureshock999 »

So, due to incredibly poor service from Al Futtaim, my 20k km-old FJ TRD needs two new front tires (this is what happens when you tell Al Futtaim that your truck pulls to one side, but instead of doing an alignment they ADMIT that they simply re-centred the steering wheel!)

Al Futtaim want 2000 dirhams (as a "special deal" to make up for their shocking service) for two Dunlop Grandtrack OE tires! Yeah, right.

So...I do a LOT of highway miles - commute between Dubai and AD many days per week. But I really want something that will be a lot better in sand than the OE tires. I can deal with more noise - they won't be heard over the two shovels and Hi-Lift on my roof rack. But they must hold up to cornering and handle well enough so that I can change lanes quickly at 140kph and not worry.

My take is that Geolanders are a VERY lightweight tire...which is great on sand, but seems like it will not be good for my spirited on-road miles with hard cornering and 140kph cruising. So probably not the best choice.

The Cooper AT3 seem to be well-liked, but going onto the tire user review sites discloses that they seem to vary WIDELY in sample quality...some are great, but other reviews make them seem like the worst tire in the world. They are however my default choice if nothing else rears up...too popular to at least not try.

Cooper also makes Micky Thompson...which get consistently GREAT reviews, with less variations. Also more expensive, but given that it's a daily driver on the E11 at 140 kph frequently, the cost of the tire isn't that important REALLY. Has anyone run these? And which model?

Nitto used to make the Dune Grappler, but these seem discontinued..no mention of them on the Nitto site anymore. Anyone have a clue?

I know some run the Kumho, but I honestly cannot say that without giggling. And I have no idea what model seems best - the 51? The 71? How are they on road? Also a brand that seems to have wide sample quality variations according to the user review sites...

Have I missed any good options?
In the sand, there is truth.

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

FJ Tire advice

Post by scotchyl »

Dune grappler are one of the best sand tyres out there but I think they were restricted to certain wheel sizes only in the UAE.

On road I have driven both geolander ats and also cooper at3. Both good on and off road. At3 are heavier as they have extra ply compared to geolander and I would say maybe less likely to pop outs or punctures. Neither are noisy but easier to get geolander rather than at3 and for coopers you may get a copy which after long usage shows signs of sidewall degradation like my old ones which I got in Sharjah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Denise
Advanced
Advanced

Re: FJ Tire advice

Post by Denise »

Hi Rob
For the last 2 years i drive geolander ats. I have clocked 150k kms in 3 years on and off road at all sorts of speeds. Alignment every 10k is recommended.
I need to change tires soon after 50k and i am going for the same.
I might just change the size.
Best of luck
D

Saif1
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Saif1 »

Go for Yokohama Geolander & stay with peace of mind ;)

"Good is enemy of great"
Saif
Prado SWB V6
Saif
Prado SWB V6

"Leadership cannot be given... It must be Earned... It cannot be taken... You loose it by lack of performance"

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Aidy »

The stock Dunlops should be scrapped at once. The sick big time. Yokos are the way to go and never look back

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Hi Rob

If not going Geolander check out the Tech and Mods thread "Cooper AT3 P or LT" (not sure how to copy the link)
AT3 rated for 60% highway and 40% off-road - I have the P version, cheaper and lighter than the LT. 12000km so far and no issues.
Nice and quiet on the road and better than my skill level off road. (but don't forget I hold the record for fastest stuck into a trip at 30 seconds)

Martin
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

FJ Tire advice

Post by Zeebzog »

Hi Rob,
Further to the PM, if I had the option I would go Geolander, unfortunately they don't stock the size I need on 17inch rims. The Kumho on road and off are pretty good and relatively quiet. I don't feel that you get the same quality as the Geolander since one of mine had a manufacturing fault with the inside wall of the tire failing, fortunately the tire just went down and did not blow out. That said I am happy with them overall. If you do decide to go for a bigger size then remember that you might need to have the front wheel arch altered so it does not catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denise
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Denise »

Hi
Further to the above if anyone knows of a shop where i can find the geolander 275/75/17 then i will be the happiest offroader :D
Thank you
D

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

FJ Tire advice

Post by Zeebzog »

To my knowledge I don't think they are imported. Might be wrong but Qaruoty would know.

futureshock999
Advanced
Advanced

Post by futureshock999 »

Thank you ALL for your help and opinions.

So the Nitto Dunes are discontinued, there are only 4 Nitto Terra Grapplers in my size in the UAE, RAMY no longer imports Mickey Thompson, and like Denise I couldn't find the Geolander in the size I wanted today. And looking at my old fronts, there is no way I am going to do all the driving I have planned this weekend (and next week for work) on them.

In the end, I am sitting here in New Bharath PITSTOP Tires in Dubai having 5 new Cooper AT3s fitted, in 285/70/R17. 650 a tire, not too bad. And may I say, a very clean, very well run tire shop that is where Best Line Garage sends their customers. Highly recommended - they have good tire prices and I am looking at H&R spacers for only 1000 dirhams a set. And did I mention their customer service is top notch? Friendly bunch.

Oh, and of course the AT3s are what Shibu of Best Line runs as well...can't be TOO bad on an FJ, can they? (He says they may occasionally rub until I replace the old TRD suspension with new ICONs, but that is hopefully only a week or two away).

Looking forward to breaking them in with Allen and the gang tomorrow!!!

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

FJ Tire advice

Post by Zeebzog »

Has anyone seriously tried out the BF Goodrich KO2s? I have just split another side wall on the Kumho's and thinking of changing the complete set to something else, they are nice and light but you do pay a price for this. There are not that many options in the 285/70/17 size.

futureshock999
Advanced
Advanced

Post by futureshock999 »

Zeebzog wrote:Has anyone seriously tried out the BF Goodrich KO2s? I have just split another side wall on the Kumho's and thinking of changing the complete set to something else, they are nice and light but you do pay a price for this. There are not that many options in the 285/70/17 size.

I seriously looked at them Lee, and the overwhelming opinion is that they have a VERY stiff sidewall that does not work well aired down for sand. They are PERFECTLY suited for desert racing however, blasting along at 100 kph in the Baja 1000 apparently. But the reviews say that they don't work that well for traction in the dunes, and if you do air them down to 9PSI or less to make them work, you get a constant set of popouts.

I just got 285/70/R17 Coopers, as you can see above. I suspect they are worth a try.

Denise
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Denise »

Hi Rob
Let me know how your new Coopers are performing with your FJ on and offroad. I may consider them given they have the size i am looking for. Mathilda says they are good !!
Thank you
D

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

FJ Tire advice

Post by Zeebzog »

In case he takes a while to respond....Rob told me they are noisy but happy with them otherwise. The Kumho's are ok but I have had one puncture in the tread, one side wall puncture, one tire split on the inside. They are very light though (44lbs only)

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bu Shahid »

futureshock999 wrote:Thank you ALL for your help and opinions.

So the Nitto Dunes are discontinued, there are only 4 Nitto Terra Grapplers in my size in the UAE, RAMY no longer imports Mickey Thompson, and like Denise I couldn't find the Geolander in the size I wanted today. And looking at my old fronts, there is no way I am going to do all the driving I have planned this weekend (and next week for work) on them.

In the end, I am sitting here in New Bharath PITSTOP Tires in Dubai having 5 new Cooper AT3s fitted, in 285/70/R17. 650 a tire, not too bad. And may I say, a very clean, very well run tire shop that is where Best Line Garage sends their customers. Highly recommended - they have good tire prices and I am looking at H&R spacers for only 1000 dirhams a set. And did I mention their customer service is top notch? Friendly bunch.

Oh, and of course the AT3s are what Shibu of Best Line runs as well...can't be TOO bad on an FJ, can they? (He says they may occasionally rub until I replace the old TRD suspension with new ICONs, but that is hopefully only a week or two away).

Looking forward to breaking them in with Allen and the gang tomorrow!!!
I have the AT3 (same agency size) for around 17000 km now and so far happy with them, good handling on road with very acceptable noise and very good on sand with no pop outs, they look very nice on FJ, one thing i have noticed and did not figure what it is exactly yet that the steering shacking at around 100 km (on road) i did the tire balancing twice and still there, not sure whether from the tires or something else.
Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser