Tyre change for my JKU

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Sacha
Advanced
Advanced

Tyre change for my JKU

Post by Sacha »

Hello all,

I've been driving on 35" x 12.5" x 17" Cooper STT's for over the last year and for the most part I have been satisfied. My 2013 JKU has been regeared 4.56 and I have "played" with the engine so the extra weight is not a huge issue. That being said nearly EVERYONE has told me they are too heavy. I have largely ignored this advise as I felt that although they may impact my ability to climb I do really like the sidewall strength and that when running parallel to a dune on the slope they really helped me hold my line. Also, and I am a little ashamed to admit it, but they look really cool!

However, yesterday afternoon I had a chance to play at SuperBowl with my buddies new JK. He is running Kumo All Terrains. When climbing the car felt like it was flying compared to mine. I did find it a little loose my liking (maybe that has to do with the shorter wheel base but I don't know).

I have an opportunity to get some fairly new 35" AT3's but I am open to other suggestions as well. I am going to stay at the same tyre size for sure but I think I would like to find a compromise solution between aggressive tread and weight.

Any suggestions from the experts around here would be much appreciated!
Sacha
Wrangler

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Tyre change for my JKU

Post by Gladiator »

Cooper STT. Is a very heavy tire,,

I moved from 33x12.5x17. STT. To kumho. 315x12.5x15. AT3. I could feel the difference both on road and on sand,,,,

Now the cooper STT is the best looking tire on a jeep. But if you don't care for street noise,,,you don't care for how far you clime. Then keep it. Otherwise... Advise. To change it

Good luck
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Gladiator + 1. Im coming from STT 33x15 and now driving BF is a new world.
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

I went from STT to COoper AT3 and on new jeep i take the Geolander AT-S. i would happily take either AT3 or AT-S as very similar.
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Sacha
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sacha »

I heeded the advise and have fitted new AT3's. Will test this weekend.
Sacha
Wrangler

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Cheif either YOKOHAMA Geolander HT-S or Cooper AT3 are rulling the market now by light weight and sound on road, beside good handling on both sand & road.
Those are the new generation
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Sacha
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sacha »

Did two drives yesterday with the cooper AT3's. First was a newbie drive in the morning and then an advanced in the afternoon. I'm glad I had a chance to warm up with the newbie drive as it took a little while to get used to the change. At first the AT3's felt a little looser in handling (the STT's really to grip the sand well once they get rolling) but one I got a bit used to them I was really happy. The extra climbing ability was REALLY noticeable!

Thanks to everyone for their expert advice!
Sacha
Wrangler