Review of "Cyclone" type pre-filter on snorkel

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Sacha
Advanced
Advanced

Review of "Cyclone" type pre-filter on snorkel

Post by Sacha »

After some serious engine issues, I recently purchased a snorkel kit with the above pre-filter at Rami. AEV, Quadrateck, ARB and a few others make a model that is essentially the same thing with some cosmetic deferences. If you are interested in a detailed description of how it works I suggest checking out this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcXt44LWxF0. In a nutshell the air intake slats are angled in a way that forces the air to spin inside the internal cone. The centrifugal motion forces the heavier dust and sand particles up and out into the outer collection area while allowing cold particulate free air down into the snorkel.

The only issue I have so far had with this product was my initial installation attempt did not fully seal the snorkel to the filter box and consequently a lot of sand was sucked into the stock filter. It is VERY important to use A LOT of silicon when making sealing the snorkel to the filter box, I mean when you think you have used to much...double your effort :o .

Another potential downside is that it only works effectively with completely boxed filter systems so you would have to get rid of most CAI filters.

Since I have had it properly installed I have had little to no sand in my stock filter, even after long desert drives. Another major upside is that my air intake temperature has dropped dramatically, typically to 10'C over ambient.

The below video link shows a AEV style filter in action. It has a slightly different mechanism than mine but the principal is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P3u7wgiy-c

In my opinion these products are ingenious in their simplicity and are so effective that all serious desert off-roaders should consider using them. I would be very interested to hear from others who have one of these products and if they have experienced any problems.
Sacha
Wrangler

Georges
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Review of "Cyclone" type pre-filter on snorkel

Post by Georges »

Hi Sasha, and good feedback. Today I went to Ramy in the morning and bought the AEV snorkel (to be shipped in a couple of months) and the pre-filter (in my house waiting for the snorkel to arrive). I will install it at Ramy in due course. I agree that anything which will ensure keeping the car in good condition is a must. In my opinion all the rest is just cosmetic and for the look. But few items such as a snorkel, axel reinforcement and the likes are not optional for what we do during weekends. :okk:
Cheers
Georges
JKU 2014
Mob: 0559740888

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

Amazing idea and sure i will got one soon

Thank you brother for the nice information

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Gerge wrote:Hi Sasha, and good feedback. Today I went to Ramy in the morning and bought the AEV snorkel (to be shipped in a couple of months) and the pre-filter (in my house waiting for the snorkel to arrive). I will install it at Ramy in due course. I agree that anything which will ensure keeping the car in good condition is a must. In my opinion all the rest is just cosmetic and for the look. But few items such as a snorkel, axel reinforcement and the likes are not optional for what we do during weekends. :okk:
I prefer to install it in WM to have the proper sealing for the filter housing (engine compartment) to stop sand from getting to the filter other than the snorkel inlet Cyclone sand catcher for maximum protection and performance.
Sacha thanks for the topic am sure its useful to many off-roaders not Jeeps only, it can fit other model snorkel with proper size
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

Excellent advice. I have been waiting several weeks for Ramy to get mine in.

These seem much better to me than the one with the intake pointed forward.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Georges
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Georges »

Bulldozer wrote:
Gerge wrote:Hi Sasha, and good feedback. Today I went to Ramy in the morning and bought the AEV snorkel (to be shipped in a couple of months) and the pre-filter (in my house waiting for the snorkel to arrive). I will install it at Ramy in due course. I agree that anything which will ensure keeping the car in good condition is a must. In my opinion all the rest is just cosmetic and for the look. But few items such as a snorkel, axel reinforcement and the likes are not optional for what we do during weekends. :okk:
I prefer to install it in WM to have the proper sealing for the filter housing (engine compartment) to stop sand from getting to the filter other than the snorkel inlet Cyclone sand catcher for maximum protection and performance.
Sacha thanks for the topic am sure its useful to many off-roaders not Jeeps only, it can fit other model snorkel with proper size

Thanks Buldozer for the advice :)
Cheers
Georges
JKU 2014
Mob: 0559740888