JK Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges - Interested?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Hey everyone,

I am currently in discussion with a US company who have just started marketing Heavy Duty Hinges for the JK/JKU, which replace the weak factory hinges and which are capable of significantly better load carrying. I have only found one or two other alternatives which don't require either a new rear bumper and/or a tyre carrier. The best one I have seen is the Teraflex version, but that will set you back almost 3000 dhs. These versions cost $150 plus shipping from a retailer but they don't ship internationally. I am in contact with the manufacturer directly and want to know if anyone else is interested in them, as a bulk purchase will reduce the overall cost. Please reply to this if you are interested. (pictures removed)
Last edited by Phoenix Rising on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

2017 Porsche Cayman 718 for On Road Fun!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 V8 (Silver Surfer) for light Off Road fun!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Bazinga!) Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Phoenix) - Retired Hurt :-(
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Manual (Green Giant) - Sold

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: JK Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges - Interested?

Post by Phoenix Rising »

One other point, the company is currently in the final stages of releasing accessory mounts for the hinges (for rotopax, radio antenna, hi-lift jack) as well as HD Tyre carriers and tailgate reinforcements as well. I will update when more info available.
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Aidy »

Hi there, I would be very much interested once they confirm the availability of other mounts such as rotopax and hilift. I checked them out coincidently a few days back ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

Aidy wrote:Hi there, I would be very much interested once they confirm the availability of other mounts such as rotopax and hilift. I checked them out coincidently a few days back ;)

Hi Aidy,
Do you think this will do away with the squeaky sound from the lock, which is driving me nuts?
Rgds
Allan
JK
056 174 4147

RedShark
Advanced
Advanced

Post by RedShark »

Looks Nice Jeremy, let me know please before placing order ,

BTW Allan I managed to finally understand the squeak noise and adjust the lock in a way to totally stop it :)
Ahmed****

Oscar-2014 JKU- BigBoys Toy
SilverShark-2001 XJ- Sold
RedShark-2007 KJ- Daily Driver

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re:

Post by Allan »

RedShark wrote:Looks Nice Jeremy, let me know please before placing order ,

BTW Allan I managed to finally understand the squeak noise and adjust the lock in a way to totally stop it :)
Maybe you can show me next time we meet - had them fix it for the 20,000 km service but is seem to be coming back again slowly.
Allan
JK
056 174 4147

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Aidy »

Yes Allan should reduce the squeaking and like RedShark said u can adjust the tailgate yourself and avoid the noise. Will show u on Friday isa

"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

Aidy wrote:Yes Allan should reduce the squeaking and like RedShark said u can adjust the tailgate yourself and avoid the noise. Will show u on Friday isa

Thanks Aidy
JK
056 174 4147

Voy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Voy »

Hi Jeremy

We might be interested. Can we please confirm a bit later when you have more details?

And you were right for 4lo max speed being 40km/h (I was confused with mph).

Regards,
Voy (and KikiTour)

OffroadRon
Advanced
Advanced

Post by OffroadRon »

Hi Jeremy,

I am interested as well, but would like to know more details once available, before placing an order

Regards,
Ronald
OffroadRon - JKU 2015 - 050 4558481

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Update on HD Hinges.

I am in the final stages of discussion with the manufacturer now and we are getting closer to a deal price. For low volume orders we are looking at AED800-820 per pair delivered to Abu Dhabi. For bigger quantities the price will reduce slightly. They are almost finished with the JK/JKU tailgate reinforcement system as well which will integrate with the HD hinges and be a cheaper alternative to the Teraflex system currently on the market (costs about AED 3000?).

I intend to purchase a pair of hinges and fit to the Phoenix so I can test and you can all have a look to see if you want some. I will keep you updated.

Once I reach an agreement with the Manufacturer I will move this discussion to the relevant forum section for items for sale.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

Phoenix Rising wrote:Update on HD Hinges.

I am in the final stages of discussion with the manufacturer now and we are getting closer to a deal price. For low volume orders we are looking at AED800-820 per pair delivered to Abu Dhabi. For bigger quantities the price will reduce slightly. They are almost finished with the JK/JKU tailgate reinforcement system as well which will integrate with the HD hinges and be a cheaper alternative to the Teraflex system currently on the market (costs about AED 3000?).

I intend to purchase a pair of hinges and fit to the Phoenix so I can test and you can all have a look to see if you want some. I will keep you updated.

Once I reach an agreement with the Manufacturer I will move this discussion to the relevant forum section for items for sale.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks Jeremy,
JK
056 174 4147

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Update on hinges delivery:

I ordered a pair of hinges from the Manufacturer and they decided to ship by US Postal Service, but did it before telling me. I forecast that they would not arrive due to the 'retro' postal service in UAE. True to form, it has been nearly 2 months and nothing seen! I have been in touch with the manufacturer and they have been great, they shipped another pair to a friend of mine in Florida who has received them and he is fetching them back here next week, so I will fit them and do a report on them.

The further accessories I mentioned are in the final prototype stage and should be available soon. Update on that to follow.

Keep the sand flying!

:ad4x4:
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

I have now received the hinges and fitted them. They are very good quality and much heavier gauge steel than the stock hinges. They are very simple to fit, takes about 30 minutes total and simple tools. All you need to do is take your spare wheel off the tailgate, remove the plastic hinge covers, remove the stock hinge fasteners (you will need a 13mm socket and Torx bit set) one hinge at a time, remove the stock hinge, position the HD hinge and insert the new (supplied) fastenings. The new fastenings require a 6mm hex bit rather than a Torx bit. Once the first hinge is replaced just repeat for the other one. Simple.

I recommend these to anyone with a JK/JKU who don't want to spend out on the only other HD system I know of, the Teraflex. I understand that Ramy are taking delivery of some of these as well in order to test them out, so in time they should be available locally. In the meantime, if anyone is interested I could get an order together - would probably be cheaper option? See pictures:
IMG_1911.JPG
As you can see, my JKU was painted after the hinges were fitted so the missing paint is visible with the new hinges. I suggest masking off and spraying the area where the stock paint was missed at the right hand edge of the tailgate.
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
As for the other items, the Rotopax hinge mounts are going to market this week (will post pictures when I receive) and the tailgate re-inforcement for those with 37" tyres will be available soon.

Happy to answer any questions.

:ad4x4:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

The Oryx
Advanced
Advanced

Post by The Oryx »

Hey Jeremy,
If you know someone else who would like these hinges, I'm very interested and would like to buy some.
Hope to see you soon...

Best regards,
"The Oryx"
JK - Trail Hawk II / 2015

.: Dailos :.
Gran Canaria
056 686 0003

Dubai