JK Auto Overheating

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: JK Auto Overheating

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Bomolin wrote:For the time being WM said that was not a engine light, it is a throttle light!

Will keep you posted
Which light are you talking about Bomolin, I am only aware of the "Check Engine" light. Perhaps the Dolphin is special?!?!
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

2017 Porsche Cayman 718 for On Road Fun!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 V8 (Silver Surfer) for light Off Road fun!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Bazinga!) Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Phoenix) - Retired Hurt :-(
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Manual (Green Giant) - Sold

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

coming from the JKR2014 auto, i run this in high all the time except when its stuck etc (yes it does happen, but only to try the "easy button").

In the rubicon, you can scroll through the multi function steering wheel and it comes to vehicle info. three gauges it displays are collant temp, oil press and trans temp. now when i drive and push it the collant will rise from normal of 97c to 108c, oil stays at 3 and the trans temp goes from 77c to 82c. these i understand from WM are all okay. above 115/120 for coolant or 90 for trans is stepping into a problem area.

I have not had the warning light on but i know that the car gets very hot after continued agreesive driving/sidecresting and i also had a misfire but that was due to excess sand in the filter box.

Hope it gets sorted but maybe try running the JKU in high and hope this eases the pressure on the engine.
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

Susanne had the throttle light in her 2013. It would also go into "safe mode" and limit rpms to about 3,000. WM never was able to fix it, and ended up replacing the motor under warranty. No problems do far with the new motor.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Well WM did a reprograming of the throttle/CPU and said that if the issue persist I need to bring it back for further diagnosis.

So far pushed quite a lot on last week expert trip, Hi and Low and no issue.

Will keep you posted
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Phoenix Rising wrote:
Bomolin wrote:For the time being WM said that was not a engine light, it is a throttle light!

Will keep you posted
Which light are you talking about Bomolin, I am only aware of the "Check Engine" light. Perhaps the Dolphin is special?!?!

Thats the light for the waterproving mod!! :lol:
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

JK Auto Overheating

Post by BBQBear »

Hi all! BBQ Bear here. Before you tell me to take my V8 tail gate out of here, I would like to point out a few issues I have had with my truck transmission overheating. Also, my wife has a 2015 Jeep and I bought her a Bully Dog and will also advise on that.

With my F150, I run in low 4x4 all day. As the heat increased, I started getting up to 110 - 115 degrees on the transmission regularly on drives. Way to hot! We have two solutions, one is with a service to keep the warranty through Ford which doesn't concern your Jeeps. The second, which is my option that I chose, was adding a 16 pass fan assisted transmission cooler and integrating it with the current transmission cooler. Since adding it, I have not ever gone above 97 degrees. I drive for about 12 hours last Friday in a 6000 pound truck on low with no problems. If it works for me it will work for you. With the jeep you could probably use a 10-12 pass. Even adding a fan would probably work much better. I spent 1200 for my unit. The fewer the passes the cheaper it gets.

Second, in regards to Bully Dog and the Jeep: I have purchased a BD tuner for my wife's jeep which is a 2015. It will not work yet, but after speaking with BD it will "soon". They need to adjust their programming to work with the 2015.

As a side note about the BD. the unit does not give you control of fan speed. The programming with the Fords do not increase the fan speed, but decrease it. I am suspecting that it is because the GCC specs have higher fan speeds then the U.S. But at least with the BD tuner, my guess is that your heating issue will either not change or get worse.

And finally, before parting, I leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAWUPYVmHxc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

Kalahari
Advanced
Advanced

JK Auto Overheating

Post by Kalahari »

Hi Bomolin, my JK Rubicon never a problem with overheating and drove through most of last summer. Temps often over 50 degrees. Mine is auto box and kept in high range 99% of time.

I hope WM fix your baby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew
056 264 0635
JK

BAHA
Advanced
Advanced

JK Auto Overheating

Post by BAHA »

Not expert on jeep systems but for GM ( as explained by an expert) a huge amount of heat is brought to the engine and is coming from transmission oil getting cooled in the engine compartment and the solution is adding isolated trans cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youth at the prow, pleasure at the helm
Trip count: Who cares!