JK Auto Overheating

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

JK Auto Overheating

Post by Bomolin »

Hi All,

Once again, seems there many are those who are facing overheating issues with the automatic Jk while on desert. Well, I´m one of those whose having the newest JK and therefore same problem persist!

Specially while driving in Low and while after side cresting, engine lights comes out and need to stop the car for few minutes before everything goes back to normal. While checking the rig in WM quick service, it gives a Computer signal that car is chocking (Not enough air flow going into the engine) in spite of having stock air filter with snorkel. They have advice me to bring it over to main workshop for check up which i will, however some information from member who has same issue to achieve an unique conclusion

Seems the possible solutions are:

A) Tuner (Diablo or Bully Dog) To decrease temperature degrees when fan should get on. Cons of messing up CPU.
B) Extra Coolers fan.´Older JK´ stated until 2012 early 2013, the issue was fixed by transmission coolers provide by WM under warranty, which is not longer applicable as decided ¨not a required modification while on warranty¨ Wondering if newest JK can be added same cooler as same engine and structure.
c) Mopar Air Filter to increase the air flow, knowing that Air filter with Snorkel will absorb way to much dust and sand, which might not be recommended.

I will keep you posted after check up in WM probably on next week :mrgreen:
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

OffroadRon
Advanced
Advanced

Re: JK Auto Overheating

Post by OffroadRon »

Hi Bomolin,

Not sure if you have JK 2015 or earlier version, but I was told the Bully Dog is not compatible with JK 2015.
Diablo should be possible I believe, in case you want to go for this option.

Luckily I have not encountered any overheating issues (yet), but I drive the manual transmission.

Regards,
Ronald
OffroadRon - JKU 2015 - 050 4558481

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Guys, I know this will get a reaction from a few members of AD4x4 but persistent driving in 4L is a contributory factor to overheating. I drive in 4H 99% of the time and (as yet) have had no issues with overheating in my 2014 JKU Sport Manual. Just my 2fils worth.
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

2017 Porsche Cayman 718 for On Road Fun!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 V8 (Silver Surfer) for light Off Road fun!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Bazinga!) Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Phoenix) - Retired Hurt :-(
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Manual (Green Giant) - Sold

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bu Shahid »

Bomolin wrote:Hi All,

Once again, seems there many are those who are facing overheating issues with the automatic Jk while on desert. Well, I´m one of those whose having the newest JK and therefore same problem persist!

Specially while driving in Low and while after side cresting, engine lights comes out and need to stop the car for few minutes before everything goes back to normal. While checking the rig in WM quick service, it gives a Computer signal that car is chocking (Not enough air flow going into the engine) in spite of having stock air filter with snorkel. They have advice me to bring it over to main workshop for check up which i will, however some information from member who has same issue to achieve an unique conclusion

A) Tuner (Diablo or Bully Dog) To decrease temperature degrees when fan should get on. Cons of messing up CPU.
B) Extra Coolers fan.´Older JK´ stated until 2012 early 2013, the issue was fixed by transmission coolers provide by WM under warranty, which is not longer applicable as decided ¨not a required modification while on warranty¨ Wondering if newest JK can be added same cooler as same engine and structure.
c) Mopar Air Filter to increase the air flow, knowing that Air filter with Snorkel will absorb way to much dust and sand, which might not be recommended.

Dear friend,

first I already advised you the permanent solution for your overheating problem during our trip in Um Al Oush ;)

however technically speaking I really do not understand the relation between the overheating and the air come through the air filter; the air coming through the air filter is used for running the engine i.e. mixed with fuel for burning and move the cylinders and the amount of air flow is controlled by the computer itself to achieve the optimum air/fuel mix and has nothing to do with the air circulation around the engine and through the radiator which affect and control the engine temperature and the overheating :!: .
do not tell me it is a jeep thing and I would not understand it.... :lol:
good luck brother, personally I would recommend drive using the 4 H without the headache of overheating
Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Off road and Phoenix,

This issues has happened only while driving auto (Yes, 2015) during 90,000 KM with manual JK 2012 it happened only maybe twice.
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Bu Shahid wrote:

Dear friend,

first I already advised you the permanent solution for your overheating problem during our trip in Um Al Oush ;)

however technically speaking I really do not understand the relation between the overheating and the air come through the air filter; the air coming through the air filter is used for running the engine i.e. mixed with fuel for burning and move the cylinders and the amount of air flow is controlled by the computer itself to achieve the optimum air/fuel mix and has nothing to do with the air circulation around the engine and through the radiator which affect and control the engine temperature and the overheating :!: .
good luck brother, personally I would recommend drive using the 4 H without the headache of overheating

I was waiting for the FJ gang to show up.. :lol:

Concerning your points, as far as I understood from WM quick service and what you state above, there is a relation between amount of air and radiator activation? I heard that Diablo tune helps to activate the radiator/fan earlier that what is programmed thought CPU to cold down the engine much in prior?
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Phoenix Rising wrote:Guys, I know this will get a reaction from a few members of AD4x4 but persistent driving in 4L is a contributory factor to overheating. I drive in 4H 99% of the time and (as yet) have had no issues with overheating in my 2014 JKU Sport Manual. Just my 2fils worth.

What you state above is true, I have never driven in Low with Manual tranny, however with Automatic transmission car will shift gears at 6,500 rpm and Hi does not have enough torque for hardcore climbs-soft sand.

Any ways, L is only used on 30% of the time, not reason enough for having this issues even prior to the summer...?
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bu Shahid »

Bomolin wrote:
Bu Shahid wrote:

Dear friend,

I was waiting for the FJ gang to show up.. :lol:

Concerning your points, as far as I understood from WM quick service and what you state above, there is a relation between amount of air and radiator activation? I heard that Diablo tune helps to activate the radiator/fan earlier that what is programmed thought CPU to cold down the engine much in prior?
the diablo tune or any other tuning will make the fan kicks in and/or run in its maximum speed earlier (at lower temperature) it is similar to changing the water valve to lower temperature grade to force it to circulate the water at lower temperature or similar to what I used to have in my XJ :oops: where the AC fan was connected to run immediately with the ignition key and not wait the AC to be on to kick in.
Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

I have had my Rubicon for one year/21,000 km and have never had any overheating problems.

Also, I have never had any issues with not having enough torque for hardcore climbs-soft sand where I believe momentum and technic is more important.

I am 99.9% in 4H and manual - only when having issues with high side cresting, where the gearbox automatically changes to 2nd, have I been forced to use 4L.

Shifted from manual to automatic on recommandation from the forum and believe it was a good choice.
JK
056 174 4147

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

I agree with Firas that the air filter is not related to the overheating. You may be having an issue with the filter, but I think it's separate from the overheating. It has nothing to do with air on the radiator. Reprogramming to lower the start temperature for the fan should help, but you shouldn't have to do that.

I also don't think running in low range has anything to do with it. Low range is simply another gear in a box about half a meter behind the engine. It may generate some extra heat, because more parts are moving, but it will not be enough to affect the engine 2 feet away. You aren't really running any higher rpm as long as you're shifting, and in the lower gears it's much less strain on the engine. That being said, my US spec 2012 automatic has never had any overheating problems even with the winch blocking 1/3 of the airflow to the radiator. Its a Rubicon so I run it in high range, but I wouldn't hesitate to use low if it had the standard (better :o ) transfer case. Susanne has been running her 2013 (manual) in low range with a winch in front of the radiator, and it has never overheated.

Not all of the JK Autos have this problem. So it seems to me that there is something wrong with the car. WM needs to make it right. If they can't, then you should just buy my 2012! ;)
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

JK Auto Overheating

Post by Bu Shahid »

Code Red wrote:WM needs to make it right. If they can't, then you should just buy my 2012! ;)
I like ;-)

Bu Shahid (Firas), Black FJ, 055 923 0066
Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser

Georges
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Georges »

I am driving a JKU sport 2014 automatic bought in Feb last year. Done 23,000 km. Most of the time in the desert I drive on L between 3rd and 4th gear. Never overheated. Good luck.

PS: my car is not for sale :D
Cheers
Georges
JKU 2014
Mob: 0559740888

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Appoinment booked for Tuesday. Will keep you all updated concerning the same, for reference I saw at least 2 JKU this weekend running the extra fan on their cars (Though not 2015 but 2013 and 2014) and both were worry about their overheated on a hight climb.

I start wondering if you guys are pushing the car to what a wrangler deserve to ... :lol:
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

ahmed_soltan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by ahmed_soltan »

Hi , I am one of the 2 JKs who got overheated during the last weekend , the reason for me that I was driving on 4 Low and forced my car to stay on 4th gear , the point is , I really put my car under huge stress to climb up a high dune , rest of the drive I did not find this overheating issue .

Technically speaking , 4 Low makes the engine works more , the 4 low gear ratio ( 4 to 1 ) tells us engine’s gear should rotate 4 rounds in order to make 1 round on the wheels , so using it on high speeds is not recommended , 4 Low with high speed combined with other deficiency factors like congested air filter or cooling water not full , this will make it more stressful for the Car .

Increasing the fan speed or adding another fan will make the symptoms disappear but the problem will be there !

I strongly believe the driving on 4 low ALL THE TIME can be main contributor for the engine overheating especially in summer , I agree with majority who commented here that 4 High should be used most of the time and use momentum to go smooth over dunes , in hard climb or small and soft dunes 4 Low can be used then , so it is like 80 % on high - 20 % on low , this mix works good for me and my car , again it works fine with me and my car , you have to get your right mix that suits your car and your driving style .

I am really interested what will Jeep (WM ) will tell you today , keep me posted , All the best Bro .

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

For the time being WM said that was not a engine light, it is a throttle light!

Will keep you posted
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!