Engine tuning for 2005 wrangler

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

Engine tuning for 2005 wrangler

Post by Hani AMJ »

Hi guys. I’m about to perform a slight engine upgrade on my wrangler. Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

Here are the details of parts I’m planning to upgrade upgraded:

• Complete volant cool air intake system
• AirAid Throttle body spacers
• Stage 2 ECU upgrade module
• Custom aluminum valve covers
• BRX silicon radiator hoses
• Banks stainless torque tube headers
• Performance distributors

The stock wrangler has around 174 horse power. Currently my wrangler registered a 188 HP on the dino chart. Hopefully with the upgrades I’m planning to install including what I already have I will have a total of 205HP to 213 HP

Result:

 Improver power at lower torque and higher torque
 Override dealer speed limit
 Total torque increase by 18% to 22% (max RPM just under the red line)
 Slightly improved fuel consumption (depending on driving conditions)

The cool thing is all these parts will not void my extended 7 years\110,000 warranty as long as the dealer installs them for me.
:D :D :D

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Ok. Another Wrangler owner infected by the modification bug. Welcome to the Jeep bug club Hani. Here is my advice:
- Volant cold intake system. Why Volant? ARB looks better and cheaper. This will not increase HP or Torque, it only maintains your car's filter clean and keeps the car a bit colder. You have to know that installing a Snorkel requires making a hole on the car body and rerouting of the existing stock air box route. If you have a cone filter. Then note that a snorkle is usless for you, if not, then I advice also a K&N stock box air filter with the snorkle, with it you will gain as little as 2-3 HP.
- Air Aid Throttle body spacer. I have it. It's a good one. Increase little torque on meduim RPMs (2-3) and makes the engine breath better.
- Stage 2 ECU, useless and will void the warrenty for sure. Cause engine overheat if not done correctly, increase fuel consumption and you will face alot of problems. NOT RECOMMENDED.
- Custom aluminum valve covers? What is that, I don't know it and don't think that this will increase your HP or Torque.
- BRX silicon radiator hoses. Looks nice when you open the hood. However, no increase in HP or Torque. I don't think that you want to spend money to impress your mechanic. No body see what's under the bonnet till your car breaks down. So why are you doing this?
- Banks stainless torque tube headers. NO, starting from 2001, No need to change the Wrangler headers. They Factory one is enough. What you need to change is the Cat Back, and I advice Borla not Banks.
- Performance distributor. No use without Hot Wires and Spark Plugs upgrade. I heard that this cause an engine over heat.

The stock Wrangler has 185 HP. With a K&N Filter, Cat Back and Throttle body you will have around 10-15% increase in HP and good increase in torque.

No dealer speed limit on a Wrangler. Stock Wrangler can go to max. 175 KM/H. American rules limit the speed at 190KM/H which Wrangler never reach and if modified, it's not safe and not recommended to drive the Wrangler at that speed.

I recommend that you spend your money in something useful, you need to lift your car, have bigger tires, then change the Ring & Pinion to gain Torque. in a 4x4 you need Torque more than HP unless you are making a drag race 4x4 which is not good for desert driving. If you want this, skip all the above upgrades and install a supercharger. This will give you an immediate 20-25% increase in HP, good fuel consupmtion, good acceleration and a high speed on over 200KM/H.

Hope I managed to answer your question.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Abo Omar
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Abo Omar »

Good Luck man.....

Enjoy....
Omar Kamel-Member # 007

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

agree with Iguana.

what u need aluminium valve covers for? looks only as far as i know...at least get a cool colour or smthg..

borla's sexy for the catback...lovely sound.

Performance distributor - like Iguana said , need to upgrade your wires as they can run hot..and hot wires are inefficient and can melt..might as well go all the way and get the splitfire sparkplugs...i got the upgraded ignition coil , livewires - came with the new distributor cap , splitfire sparkplugs..its good stuff...

silicon radiator hoses..fair enough..not worth it in my opinion...plus your car's an 05...u def dont need new hoses yet...but whatever floats your boat...
might wanna look into getting a 160 - lower temp thermostat..i love it...order the gasket with it for 99cents...might as well order 2 while your at it..handy lil things to have!

nice advice there by Iguana! :wink:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Thanks for the help Kris. You are the man. I think by now you are a Jeep expert. :lol: :lol:

Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

hola

Post by Hani AMJ »

iguana wrote:Ok. Another Wrangler owner infected by the modification bug. Welcome to the Jeep bug club Hani. Here is my advice:
- Volant cold intake system. Why Volant? ARB looks better and cheaper. This will not increase HP or Torque, it only maintains your car's filter clean and keeps the car a bit colder. You have to know that installing a Snorkel requires making a hole on the car body and rerouting of the existing stock air box route. If you have a cone filter. Then note that a snorkle is usless for you, if not, then I advice also a K&N stock box air filter with the snorkle, with it you will gain as little as 2-3 HP.
- Air Aid Throttle body spacer. I have it. It's a good one. Increase little torque on meduim RPMs (2-3) and makes the engine breath better.
- Stage 2 ECU, useless and will void the warrenty for sure. Cause engine overheat if not done correctly, increase fuel consumption and you will face alot of problems. NOT RECOMMENDED.
- Custom aluminum valve covers? What is that, I don't know it and don't think that this will increase your HP or Torque.
- BRX silicon radiator hoses. Looks nice when you open the hood. However, no increase in HP or Torque. I don't think that you want to spend money to impress your mechanic. No body see what's under the bonnet till your car breaks down. So why are you doing this?
- Banks stainless torque tube headers. NO, starting from 2001, No need to change the Wrangler headers. They Factory one is enough. What you need to change is the Cat Back, and I advice Borla not Banks.
- Performance distributor. No use without Hot Wires and Spark Plugs upgrade. I heard that this cause an engine over heat.

The stock Wrangler has 185 HP. With a K&N Filter, Cat Back and Throttle body you will have around 10-15% increase in HP and good increase in torque.

No dealer speed limit on a Wrangler. Stock Wrangler can go to max. 175 KM/H. American rules limit the speed at 190KM/H which Wrangler never reach and if modified, it's not safe and not recommended to drive the Wrangler at that speed.

I recommend that you spend your money in something useful, you need to lift your car, have bigger tires, then change the Ring & Pinion to gain Torque. in a 4x4 you need Torque more than HP unless you are making a drag race 4x4 which is not good for desert driving. If you want this, skip all the above upgrades and install a supercharger. This will give you an immediate 20-25% increase in HP, good fuel consupmtion, good acceleration and a high speed on over 200KM/H.

Hope I managed to answer your question.

LOOOL and that bug is not just with cars, you should see what I did to my computers at home.

thx for all your comments guys but there are a few points I would like to discuss further.

First the ECU stage two module.. it is true what iguana said about causing some engines to over heat and believe me I’v seen worse problems than overheating, but there are factors to consider here. Firstly, where or by whom are you getting your ECU upgraded. Now what I’ve seen here is people installing that UNI ship from Dubai witch is programmed by god knows who. The concept behind performance chips is simple in appearance but in reality it is much more complex in nature. Best power is always made when air/fuel ratio and the spark tuning has been optimized for maximum power, meaning maximum "push" on the piston during each power stroke. damage occurs if the air/fuel mixture is too lean, meaning that there is not enough fuel for the amount of air in the cylinder. This results in excess super heated air, which can cause burning of valves and pistons and will also induce detonation (which can break pistons, etc.) Relative to spark timing, too much "advance" will cause detonation, which reduces power and can also damage parts exactly as a lean mixture does.

Secondly, there are different modules for different fuel types. Usually stage 1 is designed for drivers using low octane fuels and is not designed for full performance gain. Using high octane fuel with stage 1 module could and possibly will cause damage to your car. I have been using stage 1 ecu programming with 95 octane “special” for a few month now and I never had a problem with engine overheating or any thing else. I only have a slight increase in engine temperature when the car is parked for some time while the air-conditioning is turned on. I suspect that is normal for all wranglers.
As for stage 2 chip tuning, should work perfectly in combination with high octane fuel known to us as “super”

Iguana you asked me why I’m thinking of going for the Volant Cold air intake. I know a person who sells them on eBay and he offered me a deal I can’t refuse. I think you confused the air filter I’m planning to install as I’m not planning to install a snorkel. Volant also has performance air filters similar to K&N but only up to the 2003 wrangler. I only discovered that after reading your comment yesterday. Thx buddy ;) K&N will be a good choice.

As for the performance distributor I have all ready bought splitfire spark plugs and hotwires but have uninstalled them since I have some doubts about using chip tuning in combination with upgraded sparks. As I explained before a slight miscalculation could cause serious damage to your car. I still need to do more research about this topic.

As for the headers and exhaust system, I replaced the stock exhaust system with a performance exhaust form the dealer. Now the reason why I’m thinking of replacing my headers is that they MELTED one day as I was driving to Dubai. The dealer had to replace them on the warranty.

As for valve covers and silicon hoses, they are mostly decorative coming in red colour but has a very tinny effect on your cooling system. It won’t hurt to have them since they hardly cost any thing.

I’m seriously thinking about an off-road upgrade such as lift kits, bigger tires and diff locks. I just need to educate my self a little more and I’m sure you guys will be a great help.

regards

Hani Janem

same7
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by same7 »

all the best buddy :wink:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

With the experience we have right now in offroading and Jeep tuning, I think the best possible upgrade will be as follows (Jeepers, correct me if I am wrong):
- 3" propper lift kit.
- 33" tires
- K&N Filter
- Borla cat back.
- Throttle Body spacer.
- Ring & Pinion upgrade
- Diff. Lockers.
- Upgrade drive shaft.

If you want to go crazy, then you have the stroker kit upgrade which is upgrading your engine to 4.7L or go ahead and install a 5.7L 8 Cyl Hemi engine. This will give you real power and speed. Go for Dana 60 front & Rear diff upgrade.

I am still against the ECU upgrade in UAE. It caused a lot of problems earlier to many offroaders. You have to think offroad. forget what you have done to your Audi and Computer. This is a different toy.

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Dear Hani,

Iguana has already replied in a way did not leave me anything further to say. (Thanks Iguana)

However, few more points I would like to repeat. Your wrangler is relatively new and with all the mods u r plannin u will surely lose the warranty "the dealer will be more than happy to turn u down on any single complaint". Anyhow the point I want to raise here is that the upgrades you are targetting are mainly for onraod performance and might not be of a good help to you in the desert. The jeep has plenty of power as it is with no single mod. What you really need in the desert is clearance, big approach and departure angle, bigger footprint and great torque. I can see that your mods are not touching these areas.

At the end of the day its your total decision and choice, we can never influence anybody, but only pass our dear club members a pure advice.

All the best... :D :D

FearUAE
Advanced
Advanced

Post by FearUAE »

Dear Iguana:

I just registered here & honostly it sounds fun and informative. I appreciate your greeting to me & I hope I get A long in this Forum.

Anyway, what i wanted to say that with my humpul understanding & as a new owner of Jeep Sahara 2006, i understood that lifting the car for 2'' with 32'' or 33'' tyres and suitable good Air Intaker will add enough fun to my car for an average new fighter, is it good enough.

Appreciatd

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Welcome to the club Fear UAE. Please answer the Private Message I sent you as it is very important for our file, records and trips safety & security.

As an answer to your question, a 2" lift with 31 tires afe From Al Jallaf and Mobar cat back to maintain the warrenty, your car is 2006.

If you don't care about the warrenty, go for K&N Filter, Borla Cat back, Airaid Throttle body and 2" with 31 tires. This will add good fun to your car.

32 tires will go with the 2" lift, if you want 33" tires then you will need a 3" lift with several modification like in the drive shaft, bracker relocator and steering stabilizer. Megamoe has just done a 3" lift with 33" tires last month, he can give you fresh information about this upgrade including the cost also. However, you should also know that with 32" or 33" tires, you will need to upgrdae your Ring & Pinion ratio to 4.56 to regain the lost power & torque due to bigger tires.

Hope I was not too technical and was able to answer your question. Please answer your Private Message with all the required details and information.