F150 Mods and Discussion

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by BBQBear »

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start this thread because most of what is in this section involves Wranglers (not sure if it is JK, JT, MJ, LOL or whatever because it all confuses me). If there are any Jeep people who should stumble across this thread on accident, please leave your funny comment and then leave. I thank you in advance.

So in a consolidated effort to build better F150s that can do what we are looking for them to do, I thought it might be a good idea to list mods that were done and then report on them. This way, we can save time and resources figuring out what works, what doesn't, where to get it and so on. I would like to reach the expert level so I would imagine that I may need different things than someone who would like to stay at newbie and intermediate. So if you make a mod, or have mods done for your F150, could you report on them here? I know that some have a bunch of mods already and listing them all and saying my truck runs awesome isn't exactly what I am talking about. I am talking about things like, "I added a Volant Performance Air Intake today and I noticed better throttle response and quicker acceleration. It didn't make a huge difference in the desert but it was nice to have the added acceleration and not have to buy new filters again." Then if you add or have added another mod or part, make a comment and what differences you notice. I know that some people understand engines and suspensions much more than others. But in an effort to help those who don't, please post!

For me, I did add the Volant Air Intake. And the comment above was true to what happened. I also recently added a Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner Chip to my F150. It was a huge difference in my desert drive experience. I am still running the stock 20s and stock suspension. But the tuner made all the difference. I would recommend it for sure.
If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

AmroKhairy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by AmroKhairy »

Great thread and much needed :) i am exactly what you described in your post ,
I have very limited understanding to mods and engines and need much info about the F150 in general and mods specifically and there not enough info out there.

So Thank you very much for this thread , i know a couple of F150 owners in the club Hamza(kidpa) and Thomas(007) who can help here , and i hope they participate.

One thing i am thinking of doing is : change my stock tires from 275/55/ R20 to 275/65/17 to enable better deflated performance. I was worried though of loosing my warranty, but yesterday i passed by al Tayer and found OEM rings and tires with the above specs and if change them through al Tayer i would still keep my warranty.

They are charging them @ 15k total...

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BBQBear »

AmroKhairy wrote:
One thing i am thinking of doing is : change my stock tires from 275/55/ R20 to 275/65/17 to enable better deflated performance. I was worried though of loosing my warranty, but yesterday i passed by al Tayer and found OEM rings and tires with the above specs and if change them through al Tayer i would still keep my warranty.

I have heard that Ford can be funny about that. Are you saying they will change them at 15k km or for 15k AED? There are lots of options out there. Sharja has the best selection of rims and tires I think. They have new and used, factory and aftermarket rims and there are both new and used tires there. I think for the most part, they have the best prices too. I have not heard of anyone getting their warranty voided for different rims or tires ever, but some of the other guys on here may have some info too.
If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

a better F150 is called... a jeep...

ok, i left my funny comment, my job is done here... :lol:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

AmroKhairy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by AmroKhairy »

BBQBear wrote:
AmroKhairy wrote:

I have heard that Ford can be funny about that. Are you saying they will change them at 15k km or for 15k AED? There are lots of options out there. Sharja has the best selection of rims and tires I think. They have new and used, factory and aftermarket rims and there are both new and used tires there. I think for the most part, they have the best prices too. I have not heard of anyone getting their warranty voided for different rims or tires ever, but some of the other guys on here may have some info too.

They offered me around 7k AED for the rims and another 8k AED for good year tires, and the only reason i asked in Al Tayer just to ensure i am still under warranty. Everyone from Sales to Service assured me that i will be out of warranty.
another point here is that i am not really savvy in mods, so i always preferred to depend on OEM to ensure i am covered, maybe with advice from this thread i can become independent and build the knowledge to choose proper rims and wheels...

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BBQBear »

Xof wrote:a better F150 is called... a jeep...

ok, i left my funny comment, my job is done here... :lol:
That is funny!

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

AmroKhairy wrote:
BBQBear wrote:
AmroKhairy wrote:

They offered me around 7k AED for the rims and another 8k AED for good year tires, and the only reason i asked in Al Tayer just to ensure i am still under warranty. Everyone from Sales to Service assured me that i will be out of warranty.
another point here is that i am not really savvy in mods, so i always preferred to depend on OEM to ensure i am covered, maybe with advice from this thread i can become independent and build the knowledge to choose proper rims and wheels...
Regarding al tayer quoted prices that's crazy - 5 Geolander or cooper at3 tyres should be 3-5k from a tyre shop depending on size; rims vary a lot starting from 1200-1500 for 5 depending brand and quality, decent brands like procomp can be had starting 6-800/wheel.

Might not be advisable but to potentially save 8k for the set I'd keep the old ones and put them back on for service and repairs..
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

Dune_Phantom
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by Dune_Phantom »

lol Xof - I thought a better f150 was a rubicon. Ok am done too and outta here before I get barbecued. :mrgreen:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Phantom - Ghost Who drives in the Dunes...:mrgreen: :D

Kidd_pa
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by Kidd_pa »

What a nice thread to have! Personal opinion would be the basic following:

1) Roush Cat back exhaust
2) Roush cold air intake
3) 275/60/20 Good year silent armor

As for programing im not sure as to whether i shouldget bullydog triple dog or sct programmer. :(

Another thing i realised is best to have would be a spray on bedliner as its very light in weight and it doesnt rattle when offroading.
Last edited by Kidd_pa on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmroKhairy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by AmroKhairy »

Thanks Ray for the advice, a friend just also suggested that as well , The surprise is in the difference in price between the OEM and outside market..

@ Kidd_pa , nice to hear from you man , i sent you a private message sometime ago , for the spray on bedliner i have applied it and its great protection..

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BBQBear »

AmroKhairy, before you spend the money on the rims and tires at the dealership, I was just in Sharjah and there are several shops that have the factory rims and tires for raptors. They are 17" rims. I also checked today as to why you can run either set of factory rims. Initially I thought that it might be that you could only have what it came with. However I was told that if the factory PCM has a setting for different factory tires, in this case 20" on yours or the 17" raptor set up, they do not void the warranty. But you will have to have the PCM changed. I think I may have someone who can give you a great deal on stock raptor rims and tires if that is what you would like to run. PM me for that info. If you would like to go to Sharjah and check stuff out, Google search Emirates Keys. It is a store in Sharjah that is on First Industrial St. Near King Abdul Aziz highway. On that street, there are a lot of shops that will sell new and used tires and rims including your stock raptor wheels and tires. Just drive down the road and you will see more rims and tires than you would want to see lol. Good luck and hope this helps.

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BBQBear »

Kidd_pa wrote:What a nice thread to have! Personal opinion would be the basic following:

1) Roush Cat back exhaust
2) Roush cold air intake
3) 275/60/20 Good year silent armor

As for programing im not sure as to whether i shouldget bullydog triple dog or sct programmer. :(

Another thing i realised is best to have would be a spray on bedliner as its very light in weight and it doesnt rattle when offroading.

So here is the deal with the programmers. I have the Bully Dog and a friend of mine has the SCT. The only difference between our vehicles is the exhaust as far as performance upgrades. I have a King Ranch King Cab and he has a FX4 King Cab with a Rousch Exhaust. The first thing I noticed is that the SCT does have the ability to create custom tunes with a computer program. You can also download tunes from different places as well as the factory settings. They do tend to run you some money though. With the Bully Dog, as far as I know, you can only download what Bully Dog has set up for your F150. But within that, you will have a stock, regular and performance option with sub options in those settings. There is also a custom set up where you can start getting into shift points and other stuff I think, but I have not used it yet so I can't say for sure. So between the two performance wise, the SCT with the purchased (I think between 1200-1500 AED just for the tune) I feel has a bit more power on the street (we haven't lined up yet but I will let you know how it goes). For the bully dog, I noticed more performance and horsepower from stock. But where I think my programmer shinned was off road. It really made a difference there. And even in the performance mode, I am getting about 1km more per liter. My buddy also has no problem with his performance off road. So that is the best I could tell you. Hope it helps.

Kidd_pa
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by Kidd_pa »

AmroKhairy wrote:Thanks Ray for the advice, a friend just also suggested that as well , The surprise is in the difference in price between the OEM and outside market..

@ Kidd_pa , nice to hear from you man , i sent you a private message sometime ago , for the spray on bedliner i have applied it and its great protection..

Habeebi bro.. I didnt recieve any private message..! Yala whatsapp

Mabrook for the bed liner, im sure you enjoy the rattle free protection hehehe :D
Last edited by Kidd_pa on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kidd_pa
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by Kidd_pa »

And for all, i would like to advise this on behalf of a very very well experienced offroader using an f150, there are GT Wheels rims 17" currently going for AED800 dhs for the 4, and all are Brand new and boxed. They are amazing and look it too. Dont go spending thousands on rims! :) thought i might share this with you.
Last edited by Kidd_pa on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by Zeebzog »

Not sure if this gives you some ideas:

https://m.facebook.com/hennesseype/albu ... 188980259/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk