Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by Allan »

Hi Jorg,
Rafiq at Ramy4x4 advised against installing the ARB double compressor under the seat. He argued it was getting too dirty. Thus had mine installed on the side.

However, it seems to be burning fuses like no tomorrow which could be due to longer cabling.

Believe it is worth addressing before installing.

Good luck with the project.
Allan
JK
056 174 4147

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by Code Red »

He told me the same thing, but I told him to do it anyway.

It's under the passenger seat. I Haven't used it much, but I am very happy with it so far.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by joergpietzsch »

scotchyl wrote:By the way just as a heads up. if your car is registered in Abu Dhabi, by doing work in Ramy, you will have void the warranty on a whole host of things. like Diff, axle, transmission, suspension, arms, electrics etc. Dealer can do the work, but only if they do it will they honour the warranty. I found this out before and glad i did, and i know someone who is currently in "discussions" that they were to make pay for works until they showed the work records and it had been done by agency so no complaints. check.
thanks for the note.
My information is slightly different. According to the warranty and a check with WM, the adding of such parts does not void the over-all warranty.
However - they do not include these new parts into the warranty or the work for it. So basically - everything you have exchanged is excluded, but the rest stays under warranty.
What this really means I will probably only know when a warranty case arrises... so let's hope it doesn't ;-)
However - the same work done by the dealer would have been 30% more expensive (on total project) - so I decided to safe that money and take a calculable risk ;-)

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by joergpietzsch »

Allan wrote:Hi Jorg,
Rafiq at Ramy4x4 advised against installing the ARB double compressor under the seat. He argued it was getting too dirty. Thus had mine installed on the side.

However, it seems to be burning fuses like no tomorrow which could be due to longer cabling.

Believe it is worth addressing before installing.

Good luck with the project.
Allan
Hi Allan,
Thanks for the tip.
So far it's working fine (just used it twice so far though ;-) ).
I'll let you know if problems are arising due to the placement....

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by joergpietzsch »

Hi Allan,

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by joergpietzsch »

Ups.. hit the send button to early...
so Again:
Hi Allan,
realized on Friday what you mean with the fuse.... lost mine (luckily after inflating finished).
Just bought a few replacements in Musaffah - but will have Ramy to check why the fuse blows so easily... shouldn't happen...

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

Allan, is yours still blowing fuses?

Susanne's (installed in the back of the Jeep) blew once on about the 3rd time she used it, but has been fine since. I haven't blown one yet, but feel like its a matter of time. I think the answer is to keep some fuses handy or go to a pair of breakers you can reset. But that doesn't explain why it blows. Whatever you do, don't over-fuse it. Car fires are no fun.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

Code Red wrote:Allan, is yours still blowing fuses?

Susanne's (installed in the back of the Jeep) blew once on about the 3rd time she used it, but has been fine since. I haven't blown one yet, but feel like its a matter of time. I think the answer is to keep some fuses handy or go to a pair of breakers you can reset. But that doesn't explain why it blows. Whatever you do, don't over-fuse it. Car fires are no fun.
My third set of fuses are still holding (touch wood) - got a bag of new fuses in the glove compartment now, just in case.

Suspect you're right when saying it could be the wiring which is unproportioanate, too small square, to the amps running through.
JK
056 174 4147

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

joergpietzsch wrote:Ups.. hit the send button to early...
so Again:
Hi Allan,
realized on Friday what you mean with the fuse.... lost mine (luckily after inflating finished).
Just bought a few replacements in Musaffah - but will have Ramy to check why the fuse blows so easily... shouldn't happen...

Jorg
Hi Jorg,
No, believe it's either the wiring which is under dimensioned or the fuses which are too small albeit 40 A - thus believe it is the first.
It is somewhat of an anti-climax to find your fuses are blown after having inflated three tires.
Checked with Rafiq from Ramy4x4 in Dubai who said we should not be expecting it to pump like the pumps at the fueling stations.
Not certain I understand why we should not expect a double compressor to pump for tires though.
Allan
JK
056 174 4147

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

joergpietzsch wrote:Hi Allan,

Jorg
You can always amend your msg by clicking "edit"
JK
056 174 4147

Zeebzog
Advanced
Advanced

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by Zeebzog »

Hi Guys, not sure if this helps or not but I have the portable ARB double compressor (seemed sensible at the time I bought it) and its never blown a fuse to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snappy
Advanced
Advanced

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by Snappy »

I would check the compressors or the wiring. I have a single arb compressor mounted under my driver seat, for almost 2 years across 2 cars and so far no problems, no blown fuses -touch wood! In the winter i can inflate 8 tyres without issue about the same speed if not faster than some of the gas stations. In the summer depending on the temperature it'll inflate 5 and overheat on the 6th. Tyres are AT3 285,70,17s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mob: 0552899973

Current Wheels:

JKU Sahara 2014, 2.5" Mopar lift with Fox shocks, 1.18" wheel spacers, Sumo Springs Bump stops front and back, 285 x 70 x 17 Cooper AT3 tyres, 10th Anniversary Rubicon front bumper, truck lite LED head lights, LED spots and light bar, reinforced front Axle, AEV (Original!) Tyre carrier with 39l jerry can, Bestop Trex Top NX, mounted ARB single compressor and adorned with my lovely Warn 9.5CTi winch !

[/u][/color]

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Upgrade JKU Rubicon

Post by joergpietzsch »

I realized a small pattern last weekend.
Blew my second fuse when cleaning the car at home after using the second fuse without any problems for about 9 drives.....
What I realized though, both times the fuse blew, the ignition of the car was off (engine not running).
When I pump tires, I always leave the engine running.
Maybe that's a reason for it....

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12