New Pajero vs New Xterra

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

New Pajero vs New Xterra

Post by seanofmacc »

OK so have been hit with decision time regarding cars as my Mrs and the 2nd child want to come along with me and 1st child on the newbie runs and also wants to camp somewhere a little more into the soft stuff than the extended length Expedition will get us.

I did debate chopping in my single cab F150 for a 1.5 or double cab F150 but the trade in at Ford was scandalous and I kind of like the single cab

So if I hand back the Expedition (company car) and take the car allowance I can go shopping with a budget of up to 120K.
Considerations are:
Must be totally at ease on Newbie and one day intermediate runs
Capable of hauling camping gear around with or without roof racks and/or hitch mounted baskets into some soft stuff with confidence
Must not self destruct on contact with sand during the above, it will be loaded during the latter so no space of bits of bumpers

I am not a Jeep fan and didnt fancy another Fortuner so ended up with the following options

Nissan Xterra - off road spec with dif lock, Bilstein shocks (120K aed) or a LWB 3.8 Pajero Platinum with diff lock (110K aed)

Has anyone experience of them both ?

The Pajero felt a bit shite inside and rattled but is cheap at 110k with its DVD players etc etc. The reviews I have read seem to indicate they are quite competent in the sand but you will come home with bits of bumpers in the boot every time
The off road X-terra isn't in stock till April but the mid range felt tough and well put together. Simple but well thought out interior, slightly small boot but roof mounted baskets available

I guess I kind of know which one to buy but none of it is based on practical experience so would welcome your thoughts
Ford F150 6.2 V8 Falcon, Roush exhaust.
Newbie forever

Yehia
Board Member
Board Member

Re: New Pajero vs New Xterra

Post by Yehia »

Go for the X Terra
AD4X4
THE CLUB THAT CARES

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

XTERRA is good

DAKAR
Marshal
Marshal

Post by DAKAR »

The best 3 car for desert
1.weangler
2. Exterra
3. Fj

This 3 car have same powerful & it's good for long time

Pajero it is not comfort for desert

In the end your chois is important
Specially if you need it for daily use or not

King regards
DAKAR your safety partner

00971 50 3677637

DESERT meaning :
D on't ride the clutch
E ngage appropriate gear
S low as possible - fast as necessary
E valuate your surrounding
R espect the environment & terrain
T ry to keep moving

Abdul Qadir
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Abdul Qadir »

DAKAR wrote:The best 3 car for desert
1.weangler
2. Exterra
3. Fj

This 3 car have same powerful & it's good for long time

Pajero it is not comfort for desert

In the end your chois is important
Specially if you need it for daily use or not

King regards

Change the sequence :lol:

The way we see the problem is the problem.

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

Thanks guys, gut feel was obviously right.
Exterra is the way to go
Would you say the bilsteins and rear diff lock are worth the wait and extra dirhams. Gut feel says yes
Newbie forever

SCORPIO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SCORPIO »

seanofmacc wrote:Thanks guys, gut feel was obviously right.
Exterra is the way to go
Would you say the bilsteins and rear diff lock are worth the wait and extra dirhams. Gut feel says yes
yes it worth a lot
since with the offroad package you're not only getting Deff lock
and blisteins you are getting 3.36 differentials ratio instead
of the 3.13 in the non-offorad edition
you'll have more torque at lower RPM and better acceleration

good luck

Jalal
YOU CAN NEVER SET OUT TO GET OUT FROM THIS LIFE ALIVE

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

I think for what you're describing the pajero might be a better choice (occasional newbie drive or camping trip) - it's cheaper, available, 7 seats, more space without roof loading, road handling and comfort better than xterra; the typical mod to back bumper (trim and add plate, search the forum) is cheap and, if you needed to later an ironman 40 mm lift can be had in dubai for 3k.

If you're intent on using your Ford for offroading yourself and at higher levels, off road capability on the new car is only one factor.

Nice choice to have anyway :)

The pajero sport is worth a look too, cheaper again than pajero, pick up frame/chassis with protection standard I think, diff lock on too model and good clearance..
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

Thanks for the extra comments and thoughts Ray,

The F150 will remain my machine for fun however as my 6 year old loves coming on the sand trips with AD4X4 so much and appears not to crap himself when his dad is having a mini tremble then I know my nearly 4 year old will love it even more as he is totally addicted to scaring the crap out his dad by doing mental things. Mum is desperate to come as well so whatever we buy will become the family adventure tool for AD4X4 and for camping. For me, coming out for fun in the sand needs to be family inclusive though I guess most of us go to the sand to have a mini escape from family ?
I have driven an exterra on the road only and found it fine even though the reports say they are uncomfy. It felt much better put together than the Pajero. I have only driven a Pajero over a rock course in Australia to get my RAC off road certificate which is all slow stuff so am glad for any advice on the sand, much appreciated

Gut feel still says on this budget a new Exterra off road seems best bet out of the box.
Newbie forever

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

seanofmacc wrote:Thanks for the extra comments and thoughts Ray,

The F150 will remain my machine for fun however as my 6 year old loves coming on the sand trips with AD4X4 so much and appears not to crap himself when his dad is having a mini tremble then I know my nearly 4 year old will love it even more as he is totally addicted to scaring the crap out his dad by doing mental things. Mum is desperate to come as well so whatever we buy will become the family adventure tool for AD4X4 and for camping. For me, coming out for fun in the sand needs to be family inclusive though I guess most of us go to the sand to have a mini escape from family ?
I have driven an exterra on the road only and found it fine even though the reports say they are uncomfy. It felt much better put together than the Pajero. I have only driven a Pajero over a rock course in Australia to get my RAC off road certificate which is all slow stuff so am glad for any advice on the sand, much appreciated

Gut feel still says on this budget a new Exterra off road seems best bet out of the box.
I was trying to be objective :) I have 3 small kids and if I was looking for a new car here I'd get the xterra offroad.. good price, kit and offroad performance/power compared to what else is available with 4 doors & a boot.

I guess in about 6 months you could get your wife a pajero when you sell the f150 and take the xterra fulltime ;)
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

Lol that will take some doing but life has taught me never say never. However I do consider it my occasional ad4x4 duty to sandblast the bugs of the front of my fellow club members cars when I boot it so sadly my responsibility and duty mean the f150 will need an outing now and again no matter how good thee xterra is
Newbie forever

Kaylie
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

New Pajero vs New Xterra

Post by Kaylie »

Great to hear your family is so keen to go out to the desert with you! Maybe your wife can do an ANIT trip in your new Xterra! If you can't beat em, join em ;)
Kaylie
Club Public Relations Manager
ph: 050 876 6959

White X
Advanced
Advanced

Post by White X »

Dear:

with some Xterra experience, i can add that the diff lock is valuable. you cannot get the diff lock and lower ratio on the non-Off Road versions. my car is not an Off Road, so i can only speak to what i know. you can cheaply add the Bilstein shocks to the non-Off Road. they are available locally and not a big expense. but my experience is that they are not too much better than the stock non-Off Road shocks.

if i were to do it again, i would purchase the Off Road edition for the diff lock and ratio. if i want to some serious driving, i would look to upgrade the Off Road suspension. even with the Bilsteins, the stock suspension is barely adequate. also, i think one of the best upgrades is a proper skid plate. the Off Road supposedly comes with an upgraded skid plate, but it will not, IMHO, protect your radiator.

my car is a non-Off Road edition with upgraded skid plate, Bilsteins, and Nissan trailer hitch (the rear recovery points are rubbish). it is Ok, but would be much better with a 1.5 lift and way better suspension. (and the diff lock and lower ratio)

Hope this helps. Bob

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

That's great Bob

Many thanks. Strangely they couldn't give me a price for a trailer hitch mount when I was at the dealership on SZR. Out of interest is it a 2 inch receiver and is your better skid plate a home manufactured or after market item ?
Newbie forever