Land Rover LR3 Questions!

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
PearlyGates59
Marshal
Marshal

Land Rover LR3 Questions!

Post by PearlyGates59 »

Hi everyone

I have a LandRover LR3... and now that everyone has stopped laughing (!) I have a question which hopefully you can help me with.

The car came with 'special edition' rims (19 inch), which look ok but are too big for me to put some decent tyres on. I get on ok with the current tyres, and am still a Newbie so nothing too extreme yet, but I'd really like to upgrade the rims / tyres to something like Cooper Zeons or Nitto Grapplers... all require 18" rims!

Does anyone have any idea where I could find a set of 18" rims that will fit my wagon - I can source the tyres but can't seem to put my hands on any rims!

Car goes fine by the way! I know it's not everyone's first choice (and it's an LR3, so it will almost certainly break down regularly!), but each to their own; it serves well as a run-around town and commuting car, and so far so good in the sand - it's handled everything so far with no issues! I'm on the lookout for the next Newbie drive in Abu Dhabi to hone my skills!

Many thanks, in advance

Matt

White LR3 - started this morning, who knows about tomorrow!!!
Matt - Pearlygates59
Ford Raptor aka The Silver Shark

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

Hi Matt, if you take a drive around mussafah in the area around the first signal (by central auto parts) there are lots of tyre and wheel shops that sell alloy wheels - they will try them on your car to check fit and price is usually negotiable.. especially if you're buying tyres as well.

If you need landmarks you can find ramy4x4, arb, lifeline hospital online or maybe with Google maps - I'm sure there's other areas but the tyre shops I've seen or used are in that same area.

You can also find wheels (not sure about land rover specific..) at some of the offroad shops in Dubai, icon etc, and there's a street in sharjah (search the forum) with wheel & tyre shops that might have more choice in one location.

Also check out the member offers /vendors section of the forum in case there's a discount to be had somewhere..

Good luck!
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

PearlyGates59
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Land Rover LR3 Questions!

Post by PearlyGates59 »

Thanks Ray!
Matt - Pearlygates59

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

No worries, one thing to consider if downsizing wheels is to go to 17" or even 16" - that should allow you to pick a chunkier AT tyre with taller sidewalls and, maybe more important, give you more choice of wheels and tyres at reasonable prices and much easier to sell on later if you ever want to
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

I hope you will find some wheels in Mussaffah and I agree with previous post:
A "smaller" wheel is beneficial for off roading. But you NEED to check clearance to the brake calipers!

Good luck!
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

PearlyGates59
Marshal
Marshal

Post by PearlyGates59 »

Thanks everyone. Alas my truck won't take anything smaller than 18". For what I want to be doing however that's fine - a set of Coopers or Nitto Grappler will suit... For now!
Matt - Pearlygates59

Kalahari
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kalahari »

Hi

I have owned two LR3 and one LR4 and they are amazing off road.

As you probably know, it's the oversized disc brakes that restrict you from going smaller than 18 inch rims. BF Goodrich and Michelin make a suitable off road tyre for that rim

I know they will be expensive but the dealer should be able to order the 18 inch from UK or alternatively try eBay.

Good luck

Andrew
Andrew
056 264 0635
JK