Battery check and/or replacement for the FJ

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
AbuPhampi
Advanced
Advanced

Battery check and/or replacement for the FJ

Post by AbuPhampi »

Dear gurus of the car care world, happy new year first!

FJ does not want to start from time to time, and when it does it takes a bit more than usual. Happened to me a month ago, and now has increased after the holiday break, and I am getting tired of jump starting every morning :) Car model is 2012 with the original battery, so about 3 years life...

If problem persist i would like to:

1) Get it checked: where? (dealer, adnoc) ...or can I do it myself (no specific battery tools except multimeter... :) )

2) If replacement is needed, I wish to stay with stock (unless the contrary is advised) and same question, where to get it? is dealer the recommended option or they charge an unjustified premium like for tyres...

3) car is under warranty, but my understanding is that battery is something a part, can anyone confirm?

Waiting for your inputs, and thanks in advance!

PS: I have tried on the phone with Toyota, but as you can imagine AD4x4 advise is the only one that I take :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Proud to be Catalan |||||\*/|||||
Toyota FJ Cruiser (Black)
Mob: 050 111 41 08
http://abuphampi.wordpress.com/

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

Hi, batteries wouldn't normally be covered by any warranty as considered wear and tear, no reason not to buy the battery you want wherever it's cheapest - maybe best have someone check the voltage first as it may not be a battery issue and you could buy a new battery and still have the problem.. However if jump start always works battery is the most likely cause of the issue I guess :)
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Battery check and/or replacement for the FJ

Post by DesertDawg »

If you have managed to keep the original battery for three years, I would say you have done very well.

Batteries don't like the heat and in my seven years here, I typically have to replace my batteries after 18 months of service.

AC Delco batteries are made locally and are reasonably priced. My last one was AED350.

They are very easy to change - look on YouTube for instructions.

Best of luck.

Dave
Travelling in my truck...

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

The AC Delco is the only battery that's lasted 3 years or more in my Jeep apart from the factory original (4 years).
I installed battery no.9 in August last year. Since I could no longer find the AC Delco 58/60S that I normally use, I went for the cloned version with the same part no. made by Besfits. Only cost 220 AED. :D
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

karam Al janabi
Marshal | PR and Media
Marshal | PR and Media

Post by karam Al janabi »

Man just change the battery from any battery shop from mussafah or get a new obe from Toyota dealer
3 years !
I changed mine after 3 months :lol:
Karam Al janabi
055 7070838
050 7171427 whatsapp
JK Rubicon

Email:karam.aljanabi@ad4x4.com

AbuPhampi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AbuPhampi »

Thank you for sharing your experience, including the existance of Mussafah... ;P

Thanks Ray for the process (long time no see!) I just did the voltage test with multimeter and then verified with a proper one with Toyota (only problem was the battery, dynamo and rest of stuff ok...)

Toyota does not have stock panasonic anymore, but only Toyota-branded one and offering 6months waranty on it only.

So I will go for AC Delco (as recommended by DesertDawg & DinoStroker), as they come with 1 year warranty (battery warranty, anything related to the car warranty as pointed by Ray1), so wallet piece of mind for 12 months at least I hope.

Rgds,
Proud to be Catalan |||||\*/|||||
Toyota FJ Cruiser (Black)
Mob: 050 111 41 08
http://abuphampi.wordpress.com/