Deciding between a Prado and FJ

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Razeem

Post by Razeem »

Hi All,

I am planning to take a new 4x4 :D . I usually drive on road and some time go offroad :twisted: mostly in weekends only.

I did some research and with the current market offers ,i have reached to the prado and the FJ :idea: .

the 2015 model PRADO is priced at 180K :shock: and the FJ at 135K, :roll: both are good offroad and onroad vehicles.
al futtaim told that the new 2015 model FJ extreme would be releasing by feb which would cost aroung 150k.

i dont doubt that the fj is a good offroad vehicle :ad4x4: but i have doubts about the prado?
I am confused to choose between the two.. :?:
please help me out guys....!
RaZeeM-050-3073414

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Deciding between a Prado and FJ

Post by 9ball »

This is no brainer. Get a Jeep!!!
Desnav team: Whassup? with Waqmaster and Triplod.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 doors for the dunes
Spidertrax lift kit, Old Man Emu suspension, Mopar Cold Air Intake, extra radiator for transmission, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, KC lights, more stuff to come.
2012 Mustang convertible for the highway and speeding tickets
Predator cues for the pool table (Samsara for play, BK2 for break, Air for jump, Predator case)
Black Belt in Karate
PADI Rescue Diver and Nitrox certified
Super hot wife, 3 cats: one weird looking Sphynx, one crazy fat Arabian Mau and one we are not sure about but not a whole lot smarter
nineballwizard on PS4 Call of Duty games

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Proud to be Marshal with best club in UAE

Ahmedhammad
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Ahmedhammad »

FJ!

The Prado and FJ are based on the same platform if I am not mistaken (engine and gearbox are identical on both).

The reason for me suggesting the FJ is its orientation towards off-road (waterproof fabrics and a cabin that you can basically hose down with water with no issue unlike the Prado). The FJ has a lower center of gravity than the Prado (FJ more stable on/off road in my opinion).

I have owned a 2013 FJ and I liked it (drove it only once on sand). Try get the one with the diff lock and the aux tank (with 160L you will forget the gas station for a while ).

Good luck!

Yehia
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Yehia »

razeem wrote:Hi All,

I am planning to take a new 4x4 :D . I usually drive on road and some time go offroad :twisted: mostly in weekends only.

I did some research and with the current market offers ,i have reached to the prado and the FJ :idea: .

the 2015 model PRADO is priced at 180K :shock: and the FJ at 135K, :roll: both are good offroad and onroad vehicles.
al futtaim told that the new 2015 model FJ extreme would be releasing by feb which would cost aroung 150k.

i dont doubt that the fj is a good offroad vehicle :ad4x4: but i have doubts about the prado?
Check if the FJ will continue as I heard that 2015 will be the last model but I am not sure of this information.
Both are good for off roading but If I were you I would not pay 180k in a desert car
Good luck
AD4X4
THE CLUB THAT CARES

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

I do not want to create another question mark in your mind however, I am now driving a Fortuner v6 4L model 2007 and I am extremely happy with it :D I drove it 5 times in Liwa and the performance of this car is amazing.......... (but still miss the Green peace :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: )

What I did is install a lift kit even if the clearance on the stock is good , Old man Emu, a skid plate from Rami trading and in process to change the tires yokoama Geolander........ for a cost of 7000 aed

Ciao

Wasabi
We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend

Juergen
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Juergen »

I totally agree with Wasabi, if you consider only Toyotas.
Where there's a will, there's a way. - The journey is the reward. - Proud to be AD4x4 Marshall!

tilki
Marshal
Marshal

Post by tilki »

Prado but new bumper required .

SCORPIO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SCORPIO »

2015 xterra for 115 K

4 proper doors as the Prado.
Short and powerful as the FJ
And cheaper from both. Fuel consumption
and maintenance is also the same

The only downside that modification
Are not easy to get in here, if you're planning to
Modify you have to order online most of your
Goods

Good luck
YOU CAN NEVER SET OUT TO GET OUT FROM THIS LIFE ALIVE

BAHA
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BAHA »

They are all good BUT TOYOTA is really over pieced.
If you have family then fj would be a NO for comfort and safety issues
Next criteria only requires a small research on service & consumable parts prices

That. Along with the car price simply go for the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youth at the prow, pleasure at the helm
Trip count: Who cares!

Dune Rider
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Dune Rider »

good evening all
i am assumeing u r talking about the parado 4 door , coz the new 2 door is 2.8L and 4 cel.
fj and poradoe have the same enegin. and porado is a nicer car ,
nissan xterra is also a good car. but i would go for parado if money is no issue , or furtune which very good car as well,
i would stay away from FJ.
NISSAN VTC SWB 2015 & NISSAN VTC LWB 2016

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bu Shahid »

Well,
Both cars are great on and off road, however u have to note the followings;
- they have to the same engine but the FJ weight is less around 500 kg so power/weight is not the same and the FJ is much better.
- FJ clearance is much better than the Prado specially front bumper (ask Tilki about it)
- the double tanks is ++++++ (in both I think).
- the diff lock is ++ (in both).
- the A track is +++++ only in FJ
- not sure but I've heard that the 2015 comes with crawling system which used to come in the LC.
- the FJ has two negative points; the visibility but u can will used to it and the short rear doors which are not very suitable for adults to go in and out (I have two kids and happy with it).
- the Prado is more comfortable and has more space.
- both can take u to higher levels in the club with no issue,
- the FJ more capable off road.
My personal opinion is go with the FJ just amazing car and u can drive it stock without any issue and can takes wherever u want, u can go the the category 2 (GXR) which is much less than the first category.

Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser

Abdul Qadir
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Abdul Qadir »

I have driven both Prado & FJ.

Off course on road and off road. :D

My vote goes to FJ.

:ad4x4: :ad4x4:

The way we see the problem is the problem.

Denise
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Denise »

Bu Shahid wrote:Well,
Both cars are great on and off road, however u have to note the followings;
- they have to the same engine but the FJ weight is less around 500 kg so power/weight is not the same and the FJ is much better.
- FJ clearance is much better than the Prado specially front bumper (ask Tilki about it)
- the double tanks is ++++++ (in both I think).
- the diff lock is ++ (in both).
- the A track is +++++ only in FJ
- not sure but I've heard that the 2015 comes with crawling system which used to come in the LC.
- the FJ has two negative points; the visibility but u can will used to it and the short rear doors which are not very suitable for adults to go in and out (I have two kids and happy with it).
- the Prado is more comfortable and has more space.
- both can take u to higher levels in the club with no issue,
- the FJ more capable off road.
My personal opinion is go with the FJ just amazing car and u can drive it stock without any issue and can takes wherever u want, u can go the the category 2 (GXR) which is much less than the first category.

100% agree with Bu Shadi :)
I have an FJ and if I were in the market looking for a car now I would go for FJ again !
Powerful. Comfortable. Robust. Safe. Easy to maintain. If serviced properly no bad surprise in the desert.
With fox stage 1 suspension + all the options that come with the new model you don t really need to wait and pay the 15k extra for an extreme unless you want the looks of extended wheels-rims-fenders. The options on the 2015 extreme will be the exact same ones as on the 2014 extreme.
All the best with your selection
Denise

Razeem

Post by Razeem »

Ahmedhammad wrote:FJ!

The Prado and FJ are based on the same platform if I am not mistaken (engine and gearbox are identical on both).

The reason for me suggesting the FJ is its orientation towards off-road (waterproof fabrics and a cabin that you can basically hose down with water with no issue unlike the Prado). The FJ has a lower center of gravity than the Prado (FJ more stable on/off road in my opinion).

I have owned a 2013 FJ and I liked it (drove it only once on sand). Try get the one with the diff lock and the aux tank (with 160L you will forget the gas station for a while ).

Good luck!
Hi Ahmed,
Yes as you told, the FJ is more oriented for off road and i also like the FJ , i am waiting for the FJ extreme to release, and find out the differences between the 2104 and the 2015 versions ...

Thanks for the reply...
RaZeeM-050-3073414

Razeem

Post by Razeem »

Yehia wrote:
razeem wrote:Hi All,

Check if the FJ will continue as I heard that 2015 will be the last model but I am not sure of this information.
Both are good for off roading but If I were you I would not pay 180k in a desert car
Good luck
Hi Marshal,

As you told 2015 would be the last of FJ's as per Al futtaim , the PRADO is very costly to be offroading... but still has its comfort zones as well...!
FJ it is for me this time.......!

Thanks marshall for your suggession...
RaZeeM-050-3073414