Kc day lighter vs Small LED light bar

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

My F150 single cab is going to get treated to some extra lighting.
Being old and old fashioned, I still have a huge respect for KC 6 inch day lighters and the current thought pattern is for 2 x floods and 2 x pencil beams mounted on a ramy bolt on light bar. Fitted with halogen bulbs as KC HIDs are out of budget. Price for the lot is 3840 fitted.
Other option is a T Rex grill with small LED bar fitted in it from fancy auto at 4000 fitted ( think that was the price.
Roof mounted 50 inch are out as I don't want to drill the roof channel as we will be selling the truck one day

So can I ask the knowledgeable on the board for their comments on both options or something I have missed due to inexperience in the sand?
I am concerned about the stability of the light bar given the weight of 4 x KC's on it and the lack of any bracing

The light bars are out of stock for 2 weeks so I have thinking time
Ford F150 6.2 V8 Falcon, Roush exhaust.
Newbie forever

PalmaVirtuti
Advanced
Advanced

Post by PalmaVirtuti »

Interesting, I'm also considering lighting options so will be good to see responses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Re: Kc day lighter vs Small LED light bar

Post by iguana »

Where are you going to mount the light bar? If it is a roof top, then don't, it will be too noisy

If you will mount it infront of the grill, just keep a space for the radiator to breath and my personal opinion goes with the bumper mounting, in front of the radiator on a light bar.

Both are stable so don't worry about that
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

Thanks for the reply Islam

The roof channel mounts were rejected due to the need for drilling. I hadnt thought about noise

I am definitely mounting on a purpose made frame that mounts through the bumper adjacent to the number plate holder. This allows for the fitment of four lights up to 9 inch diameter however there are concerns over restricting air flow as you say and the coyote v8 does need plenty of cooling so 6 inch is preferable which ties in with my preference for old fashioned KC day lighters.
It is possible of course to fit an LED bar onto the steel light bar instead of going a T. Rex grill route with a fitted light bar and it would be cheaper but would look like over kill. The only other advantage I see to the LED light option is low current draw

As I want to be able to remove with little evidence of presence when we sell the truck (we really need a 1.5 cab) then it looks like it's the 4 x 130 KC option on the steel light bar as soon as the light bars come into stock at Ramy.

Thanks
Newbie forever

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

Palma. There appears to be the option to fit LEDs onto every corner and space on a raptor so let me know which option you go with. We can do a comparison test in the sand if you go LED.
Newbie forever

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

I had KC lights for 3 years,, 6" on windshield , 8" on bumper few months back I shifted to LED.. ( cheap from dragon Mart!)

don't waist your money on KC , go LED all the way even from dragon mart... huge difference in performance and yet less power consumption..
182866_10150383229900504_684370503_17117426_8287320_n.jpg
DSC00764.JPG
:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

seanofmacc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by seanofmacc »

Thanks for that Gladiator. I was relying upon Youtube videos for comparisons so a bit of first hand knowledge is very handy

On the videos, the LEDs appeared better at illuminating the immediate area in front of the vehicle but the KC pencil beams were able to illuminate better at long distance.

Can I ask, did you have KC floods or pencil beams or a combination on your Jeep ?
Newbie forever