Budget 4x4

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Budget 4x4

Post by Code Red »

Hilux
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Ruby
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ruby »

Nothing. Save your money until you have more to spend. 20K and you will be buying repair problems.

Dune_Phantom
Advanced
Advanced

Budget 4x4

Post by Dune_Phantom »

Bu Shahid wrote:Forget anything with J
Get a Clean Pathfinder (2000 to 2005) with 3.5 L engine and u get;
1. Powerful car in desert (with AC on)
2. Good space
3. Good on road car
4. Much less headache
5. Spend more time home or Shisha rather than in Musafah
Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Phantom - Ghost Who drives in the Dunes...:mrgreen: :D

Abed
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Abed »

I agree with Bushahid,for 20K to 25K she can get clean one.
Wishing her good luck.
Mustafa Abed
Nissan Xterra
00971-55-8003609
Trip counter: 197

BAHA
Advanced
Advanced

Budget 4x4

Post by BAHA »

I think it's very relative type of cases. But if to trust a car to keep crawling, it would be a jeep.
I've got the WJ few months back, runs great no major issues so far even with my driving style - alhamdulellah-
It's true she has her own way of marking her parking area :) but goes fine and thinking to take her for a test off-road once I got the time
Aside from my concern about the 6 cylinder capability. Honestly the Design of this car need no modification whatsoever

Bottom line, Xof advice is the best. Thanks Christoph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youth at the prow, pleasure at the helm
Trip count: Who cares!

Vader
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Vader »

Xof wrote:40k, whatever you do, it will cost 40k...

would it be for a clean TJ prepared, or any other car you'll buy at 20k + mods and fix, you'll need eventually 40k.

nevertheless, after having gone throught the new car path, the second hand TJ Modified path, and the WJ stock to be modified path, i recommand the third one (not only because of the car).

if you find a good stock car, it is always better to do the mod yourself, cause they are new, and you know what you are doing for your own style.

Now, be it a jeep, a nissan, or whatever, it's your taste. Though, not so many V8 for 20k (WJ) :twisted:
Agree with Christophe here, nothing will cost you less than 40k, if it does, it'll bite you in the :oops: later and will end up costing you 40k eventually. Depending on the expected lifestyle, a WJ could be nice because it offers all that space.

alkathir wrote:Dear members,
I have Nissan Patrol V8 LE 2013, very new and hesitant to use in the desert and I have Pathfinder 2000 model which I am thinking to modify and use, will you please let me know& share your exp. in the modifications required like lifting, shocks, Tyre, air intake etc. Your help is required.
regards
Kathir
Kathir, I would suggest you keep the LE nice and clean as your DD and for the family, it's a monster of a car that i've had the pleasure of enjoying in the desert a few times but that front bumper (especially if you have the street one) is :? I think the Pathfinder is more than capable of handling most of the terrain you throw at it, Omari (one of our marshals) had one and he took it everywhere, fully stock. I would try and get rid of the bumpers (at least during the drive) and make sure I have good tires, that's it. When you start going to the desert regularly you'll realize based on your driving style what you will need to change if at all and do it progressively. I would avoid making lots of changes and possibly not enjoying your rig or the drive and regretting the mods.

Some of the best drivers in this club drive fully stock cars :mrgreen:
راعي الربع

alkathir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by alkathir »

Thanks Vader

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

Don't be fooled by people saying that an old car gives you issues... a poorly maintained car gives you issues regardless how old it is!

In any case running a "Budget 4x4" will require good understanding of car mechanics, knowing how to get things fixed on a budget without compromising the strength and safety of the vehicle. If you buy a cheap car in poor condition and take it to the dealer for each hick-up it will always cost $$$$ and you can better invest in a brand new vehicle.

In my opinion the 1997 -99 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is also a strong candidate for a budget 4x4. Cheaper than the TJ, a good, clean and well maintained one will come in under 20k. But you need to know what specs you are looking for!

The maintenance is relatively simple on the Jeep, not every issue needs to be solved at the dealer. The XJ has a strong following in the US... a lot of knowledge resources and info online (http://www.naxja.org and http://www.cherokeeforum.com). Many of the shops in Mussafah will be able to do maintenance on this vehicle at lower costs than the dealer.

Expensive dealer parts can be avoided by replacing with readily available used, or aftermarket parts. Upgrading parts or modifications for the XJ are less expensive than you may think, many aftermarket upgrade parts incl. shipping from US are cheaper that what Western Motors quotes for a stock parts.

Anyway that's my two fils. There are many other options out there, with many pro and con for each one! Good luck! :mrgreen:

Panzer4x4
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Panzer4x4 »

Bu Shahid wrote:Forget anything with J
Get a Clean Pathfinder (2000 to 2005) with 3.5 L engine and u get;
1. Powerful car in desert (with AC on)
2. Good space
3. Good on road car
4. Much less headache
5. Spend more time home or Shisha rather than in Musafah

Agreed!
Jake 056-2269721

91' Land Rover Defender 110 - OME 2" lift, 33" tires, and a whole host of items on the wish list.
14' Nissan Xterra S - Stock with the exception of a few cosmetics

~It Pays to be a Winner!

Georges
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Georges »

nautibean wrote:All,

Another girl question....

If you were new to off road, had a budget of 20K what would you buy?

need to make a sensible recommendation to someone....

Thx :D
Mel,

I am sure with all the comments below it is now even more difficult for you to recommend anything to anyone :lol: :lol: :lol: There are as many opinions as members in the club :? Good luck :mrgreen:
Cheers
Georges
JKU 2014
Mob: 0559740888

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

heinz wrote:Don't be fooled by people saying that an old car gives you issues... a poorly maintained car gives you issues regardless how old it is!

In any case running a "Budget 4x4" will require good understanding of car mechanics, knowing how to get things fixed on a budget without compromising the strength and safety of the vehicle. If you buy a cheap car in poor condition and take it to the dealer for each hick-up it will always cost $$$$ and you can better invest in a brand new vehicle.

In my opinion the 1997 -99 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is also a strong candidate for a budget 4x4. Cheaper than the TJ, a good, clean and well maintained one will come in under 20k. But you need to know what specs you are looking for!

The maintenance is relatively simple on the Jeep, not every issue needs to be solved at the dealer. The XJ has a strong following in the US... a lot of knowledge resources and info online (http://www.naxja.org and http://www.cherokeeforum.com). Many of the shops in Mussafah will be able to do maintenance on this vehicle at lower costs than the dealer.

Expensive dealer parts can be avoided by replacing with readily available used, or aftermarket parts. Upgrading parts or modifications for the XJ are less expensive than you may think, many aftermarket upgrade parts incl. shipping from US are cheaper that what Western Motors quotes for a stock parts.
Agree with all of the above.
I wouldn't dismiss '96 and earlier XJs either but finding one that's been well-maintained is the biggest fun.
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

I agree with some sentiment here and pathfinder seems a good bet, for me an older pajero would be a good choice too. I paid 15k for a 2004 nativa that did everything I wanted it to do in the desert to intermediate level and never broke or had ANY issues at all over 2000 desert kms, kept it for a year and sold for 20.. Look for service history and a clean car and there's some luck involved too!

I've just agreed to buy a clean 2004 jeep kj (manual, gcc spec, one uk owner with service history) for around 10k - we'll see how it goes :) but for that money I'm not worried.

I really disagree with the idea that spending less than 35-40 k on a 4x4 is foolish, we all live and play within our means.
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

K84
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by K84 »

Suzuki is a good cheap car.

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

K84 wrote:Suzuki is a good cheap car.
It also has a good small engine with not enough power. ;)

K84
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by K84 »