Hot Oil

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
kanns
Advanced
Advanced

Hot Oil

Post by kanns »

Hello Members,

I drive a stock JKU and I have drove around 160,000km in it. I drove to Jebel Al Jais twice and got "HOT OIL" warning light both the times. I do not understand why the transmission gets heated up on asphalt elevations. Meanwhile my drives to deserts or to Jabel Hafeet were clear of troubles. Even the few hours of dune bashing with our esteemed Marshal during the last Jeep Jamboree were smooth. Any advice?

Thanks
Kannan

P.S: Have any of you installed MOPAR Headliners? Is yes, how effective is it?
KaNn$

SCORPIO
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Hot Oil

Post by SCORPIO »

i think the subject is an Auto transmission

if yes then you need to install a transmission oil cooler
if already there, then try first to check the trans. oil
quality and level then the oil lines to the cooler if its
in good condition, if the oil is not circulating
properly youll the oil gets hot even with a cooler installed

if there is any other solution you'll hear it from any of our Jeep
experts.
in any case don't worry "its a Jeep thing"

good luck
Jalal
YOU CAN NEVER SET OUT TO GET OUT FROM THIS LIFE ALIVE

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

Agree with all that Jalal said.
Also check the colour of the transmission fluid. If it's still pinkish, you're good. If it's brownish you have a problem.
An auxiliary tranny fluid cooler should help but if it doesn't, there may be another issue e.g. excessive torque converter slippage.
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

If you didn't have any problems for 160,000 km, then you should start by getting the stock system back in proper condition. Start with new transmission oil and filter. Inspect the radiator to make sure you are still getting the same cooling from the stock transmission cooler in the radiator. Maybe its an early sign of problems in the engine cooling system running through the radiator. As mentioned above it could also be the torque converter or other problem with tranny fluid flow.

It is strange that it is causing more problems on the highway than the desert. Normally a modern automatic will be running much cooler at highway speeds because the torque converter will lock up. It could be that this is not happening correctly, and you are getting some slippage (and generating excess heat) at highway speeds.

I would make sure all of the stock parts are in good shape before I added any additional coolers or plumbing. If the stock system worked for 160,000km. Then fix that system so that it functions as the factory intended. No need to add parts and make the system more complicated, more prone to leaks, etc .... Especially if it just hides an existing problem until it gets worse.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Vader
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Vader »

The inclines on that drive are quite steep, it is a very beautiful drive with sweet bends - it's fun in my Jeep imagine it with something designed to take on something like that :twisted: . Very demanding on the tranny so i'm not surprised to hear that you see the oil heating up. Definitely check out and make sure everything is running well as the guys recommended but this is a common problem with the auto JKs and they're all coming with an added cooler straight from the dealership now. I assume that you have one of the older JKUs pre-2012 ?

If you decide to add another cooler, this is one that comes with positive reviews from the community, it is not expensive and not very difficult to install:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70268

Z
راعي الربع

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

Vader wrote:The inclines on that drive are quite steep, it is a very beautiful drive with sweet bends - it's fun in my Jeep imagine it with something designed to take on something like that :twisted: .
I drove up to the end of the tarmac on Jebel Al Jais two days ago in my Mustang. It was indeed a beautiful drive. :D

desertfun

Post by desertfun »

Nothing to worry about. I had the same issue in Oman where you have roads with short steep climbs. It happened a couple of times and then it just stopped. God, and Jeep's CEO, only know :D
"No dude, your SUV is not a Jeep, and my Jeep is not a SUV!"
- - -
MOPAR Performance 2" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks - MOPAR Off-Road Front Bumper - MOPAR XD9000i Self-Recovery Winch - MOPAR Off-Road Oval Fog Lamps - MOPAR Off-Road Rear Bumper - MOPAR Off-Road Tire Carrier - MOPAR Steering and Swaybar Skid Plate - MOPAR 6.5" Round Off-Road Lights - MOPAR Rubber Floor Liner Kit - MOPAR Handle Grab - MOPAR Door Sill Guards - V-Cool window tinting - Garmin GPS 276C - Maxtrax sand ladder - 4.88 regear - Teraflex front axle sleeve - Detroit Truetrac front locker

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

JK with auto have this issue due the cooler is not in the air stream, best to do is to get new KK oil cooler which is higher in position to the original one and to be located higher than front bumper level exactly in the air flow.
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

kanns
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kanns »

Thanks to all the members for the valuable information. The dealer suggested me to add an additional cooler if it persists as it is a "jeep thing" to get it in only during such steep climbing on tarmac.
:D
KaNn$