NISSAN PATROL (KAPSULA) STARTING PROBLEM

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Ahmed
Advanced
Advanced

NISSAN PATROL (KAPSULA) STARTING PROBLEM

Post by Ahmed »

MY 4X4 Buddies -- I need some help/advice if available !
Have a 2002 Nissan Patrol with some basic mods on it - for eample some of the mods are as follows:
- MSD Ignition Coil
- Splitfire 3 core plug wires
- Splitfire Triple Platinium Plugs
- Cat Back, K&N Filter and Parking sensors
When i first start it in the morning when its cold it cranks up in just half a self. But when i have driven it for a few hours the problem starts. Then i have to crank for atleast 10 to 15 times before it gets going. Iguana did help me out and the mechanic first said its a problem with Carbuerator plus the MSD Ignition coil. I got both of them fixed but still the problem is there. Took the car to another mechanic and he also could not diagnose the problem. Finally i took it to the Nissan Dealer who said they would first need to take of all the mods i have done put the original stuff back and then they will try to find the problem.
Well still i have not hit the Jackpot so i said forget it to the dealer. Finally one mechanic who did work for nissan i had him look at the car and after some hours of trying he noticed the current supply that come into the Iginition coil is not right. This current which comes out of the ignition coil is passed onto to the main distributor via the high tension wire. Current coming out of high tension is next to nothing when the car is hot. Therefore not having the right amount of current the car does not start until it gets a proper spark after numerous attempts. So the mystery know is to find why the current coming into high performnace ignition is not approriate and how to trace it - if its some wiring issue or some relay that has gone bad.
Keep in mind that i have already replaced the high tension wire plus the MSD Ignition Coil.

Now my 4X4 buddies i need help/advice or suggestions based on the vast experience and knowledge of my colleagues of the club.

Regards

Adeel Ahmed

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Now Ahmed from what I understood the problem is coming from the current. This is controlled by your computer unit. Maybe you need to have your car computer checked. I think Al Shaikh in defence street is doing this. It'll cost you around AED 300 to check the programming of the car. Maybe you need to do a reprogramme.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

yeah good idea iquana , check it in al shiek it may cost you less around 150 , i think the problem is from the start ignition , maybe , but better to check it , and please tell me because i faced the same problem and it was from the start ignition. :)

Ahmed
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ahmed »

Thanks Iguana & Kalemero !

Iguana i asked nissan to check the computer but they are looking at the mods and as usual they want it off first.
No harm in taking it to AL SHEIKH for computer checking plus like Kalemero said may be its the start ignition itself. If i get Kalemero's contact number i shall call and have a word to know what exactly was the problem faced by him. If its something similar then we know where the possible could be.

Thanks guys !

Adeel Ahmed

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

The spark plugs need the correct current to fire. Also need the right combination of fuel mixture.
Please you may need to check your fuel system special the fuel pump / carburator and so.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

yeah sure ahmad - 0507711883

Ahmed
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ahmed »

Hi Mpenzi,

Thanks for the reply ! I did have the carbuerator cleaned and tuned up -- spark plugs look fine but may be will try replacing them and then see if the problem still persists.

Regards

Ahmed

konradh

Post by konradh »

iguana wrote:Now Ahmed from what I understood the problem is coming from the current. This is controlled by your computer unit. Maybe you need to have your car computer checked. I think Al Shaikh in defence street is doing this. It'll cost you around AED 300 to check the programming of the car. Maybe you need to do a reprogramme.
Iguana there is no computer unit or ECU in this truck. Its a carburator engine. If you have fuel injection than you can go and check your ECU settings. So the AED300 will be just a waste of money. What should be done is to check the source of the voltage before the ignition coil, perhaps a ground is present that's why there is a lack of voltage.

Ahmed
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ahmed »

Hi Konradh,

Thanks for the update ! But this is what even one of the Nissan mechanics who user to work for nissan told. He suspected that there is not enough voltage coming out of iginition coil into the distribution - infact he pulled the high tension wire kept near the head and then asked me to cranck and i could see there is very very light current supply. I also have put a new MSD iginition already thinking it was the ignition coil that was bad.
Now i need a electrician who can help trace this current/voltage loss -- infact the nissan guy told me you need a good one who know what he's doing otherwise they will mess everything up.
Lets hope for the best !

Regards

Adeel Ahmed

konradh

Post by konradh »

Ahmed wrote:Hi Konradh,

Thanks for the update ! But this is what even one of the Nissan mechanics who user to work for nissan told. He suspected that there is not enough voltage coming out of iginition coil into the distribution - infact he pulled the high tension wire kept near the head and then asked me to cranck and i could see there is very very light current supply. I also have put a new MSD iginition already thinking it was the ignition coil that was bad.
Now i need a electrician who can help trace this current/voltage loss -- infact the nissan guy told me you need a good one who know what he's doing otherwise they will mess everything up.
Lets hope for the best !

Regards

Adeel Ahmed
Adeel, just today I watched on CNN that 130,000 Y61 Patrols have been recalled due to ignition keys being faulty. Your Patrol's ignition key has a chip in it, if you look at the key you will find a blue square on it which is the chip. If the chip's programming is faulty -- it will send the wrong relay to the computer for the coil -- therefore, sending the wrong current. I have done a little research on Y61 forums and that's what they said, to purchase a new key from spare parts and get service to program it again based on your chassis number. Hope this helps.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Konradh, I beleave that you didn't have this problem earlier in your car. This just came out when you upgraded your coil (As far as I remember). We are trying to help Ahmed over here, but we need to know the history of upgrades and electrical check ups you have done to try to figure out the problem.

konradh

Post by konradh »

iguana wrote:Konradh, I beleave that you didn't have this problem earlier in your car. This just came out when you upgraded your coil (As far as I remember). We are trying to help Ahmed over here, but we need to know the history of upgrades and electrical check ups you have done to try to figure out the problem.
Your memory is wrong am sorry Iguana. The dealer when they took in due to starting problem, they replaced the main relay for the fuel pump and RPM control sensor. They had checked the fuel pump, etc. and everything was OK. Yet sometimes the starting problem came up. So they advised me to purchase a new key and programme it with them. As they key is chipped. Do you remember Iguana when Moe had put his sound system in, you drove me to Nissan to pick up the Patrol -- I remember I was driving your Wrangler for the first time actually with you new catback exhaust. That's when they recommended to change the key since at times the programming from the key to the ignition coil is faulty, that's why the lack of voltage. And also Adeel, when you had purchased the car we had only given you 1 key right!? Well that's the reason, because the other one is faulty and perhaps this one is faulty too.

As for the mods, you are all aware of the mods -- as I posted it on the 4x4 sale earlier.

Its better to give it to Al Masaood and tell them to cut you a new key and program it, since anyway, you also need 2 keys -- 1 as spare just in case you lock yourself out or loose the one you presently have.

I hope this satisfies you Iguana as I found your last thread reply to be somewhat threatening.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Yes Konradh, I remember that day. Man I am getting old, my memory is very bad now.

Lets try the key thing Ahmed.

For the threatening part Konradh, you are wrong. You see anyone who modify his car knows exactly the history of modification and what did he install to avoid any other mechanical problems. With you Patrol now, we are working with trial and error. Mechanics here only knows how to work at standard cars, Al Masaood told Ahmed that they have to take all the modifications away to check the car, so we wanted to know if you have any advice thats all.

konradh

Post by konradh »

Let me know the outcome of result when fixing the problem. Its always knowledgeable even though I don't own a Patrol anymore -- as all ignition systems are at end of the day the same. Peace Iguana.