Turbochargers and Superchargers - ever wondered?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
lucknow

Turbochargers and Superchargers - ever wondered?

Post by lucknow »

I was looking around the web and came across a nice site talking about how supercharges and turbocharges work, and also the differences between them

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

there are lots of links you can follow - particularly in the bottom right hand corner - 'Related Content'

It is interesting that this technology is not very popular here in UAE - it is very popular in Australia, where most diesel vehicles come standard with a turbocharger, even in our desert areas where we have a similar climate. I have heard that diesel fuel is of very low quality here (and petrol is so cheap!) - perhaps these are the reasons why.

Aftermarket additions of Turbo Chargers and Superchargers is big business in Aus - but care must be taken as modern engines are typically running quite high compression ratios leading to pre-ignition problems and extensive engine damage when even moderate levels of boost are run (anything over about 4 psi on a standard engine). To really get the benefit, a holistic approach must be taken considering oil supply and cooling (volume, pressure and oil cooler), strength of internal components (crankshaft, conrods, pistons etc), electronics (aftermarket computers or revised ECU chip), compression ratio (must be lowered - often to around 8:1), quality of head gasket seal (a o-ring seal is used for serious applications), engine cooling (more hp = more heat = bigger/ more efficient radiator and fans), quality and volume of fuel (bigger/ additional injecters higher octane fuel/ octane additive, intercoolers and water injection to cool air mixture temperatures) and strength of driveline (clutch, gearbox, driveshafts, differentials, CV's) to name a few areas.

I have good contacts and knowledge on this area if anyone wants to discuss further :lol:
Please remember to Tread Lightly....take only memories and leave only footprints. http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/home/Home.html

H3

Post by H3 »

Thanks for that Geof, myself and Barry have been thinking about this approach and think the H3's inline 5 is strong enough to handle either a TC or SC there are some kits out there though not cheap. There is a SC set up available for about 25,000AED 8O . I think?

One small problem is, and again I am not sure, Registration, I am pretty sure this type of modification is not accepted by the Traffic Dept for the average Joe public :cry:

Doc
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Doc »

H3 wrote:Thanks for that Geof, myself and Barry have been thinking about this approach and think the H3's inline 5 is strong enough to handle either a TC or SC there are some kits out there though not cheap. There is a SC set up available for about 25,000AED 8O . I think?

One small problem is, and again I am not sure, Registration, I am pretty sure this type of modification is not accepted by the Traffic Dept for the average Joe public :cry:
Most SC are fully reversible so every year you can remove the main bits to make the engine look standard and then re fit again afterwards, i know just the garage that would appreciate the business :D
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......I'M BACK!

Landrover Defender 110, 2"Lift kit, Roof tent, Large Family
Driver with sense of humor.

Landrover Discovery 1, 4.10 gears ARB front and rear lockers Landrover central diff lock, Warn winch, 2"lift, Camel Cut rear doors, 33"BFG's insane driver, Rangerover 4.6l V8 engine.

Toyota Fortuner bog standard company car (boss wont let me take it to the desert!)

KTM250SX motorcross bike for them mental desert days when a car just isn't scary enouth.

H3

Post by H3 »

Cool, good to know Doc 8) , once I have gotten over the shock of parting with my "hard earnt" this week for my new truck and I get approval from the MOI we may be in business.

It's the MOI bit that will take time, so don't hold your breath :roll:
HOAB Black Sheep Hummer Squadron Arabian Gulf Chapter

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

If it pass the exhaust gas test they will think its original, SC is much better in performance in here than TC specialy with hot weather
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded