Caster, Camber & Toe Explained.

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Caster, Camber & Toe Explained.

Post by khaiwi »

From Quadratec site.

ImageCaster is the fore or aft slope of the steering axis. The steering axis is a line drawn through the upper and lower ball joints of the knuckle. Positive caster is when the bottom of the steering axis line is in front of the tire's contact patch. Zero caster is when the steering axis is at 0 degrees. Factory alignment specs for basically all vehicles call for a certain degree of positive (shown) caster. This ensures good stability, helps maintain straight-ahead direction and promotes steering wheel self-centering.

Camber is the inward or outward tilt of the front tires as viewed from the front. Inward tilt is negative, outward tilt is positive. Camber is used to distribute load across the entire tread. Improper camber makes the tire wear on one edge, and causes the vehicle to pull to the side that has the most positive camber.

ImageToe is the side-to-side difference in distance between the front and rear of the front tires. If the distance is closer at the front, it's called toe-in. If the difference is closer at the rear, it's called toe-out.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

So what most of us have now in thier Wranglers is a wrong caster and camber setting right?
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

iguana wrote:So what most of us have now in thier Wranglers is a wrong caster and camber setting right?
The week Dana30 in the front axle of wranglers bends due to jumps and results in negative -ve Camber.

As the diff is not centered on the axle housing, bending might be more on one side, therefore if someone is buying the adjustable ball joints to rectify the tire wear problem (Note this will not resolve the bent axle housing problem). A proper measurement should be done to buy the correct ball joints. :idea: :idea:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

By the way, I went to Al Jallaf on Thursday to buy it. (I need to 1degree size). It was out of stock. They have one only in Abu Dhabi and 6 pieces in Dubai. I bought 2 so the available is 5 pieces and the guy told me those are slow moving items and they do not order it in big bulk. So those of you who wants to buy them, get it queckly befor the stock finishes
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

konradh

Post by konradh »

checheche Wranglers, always out of stock on parts. :cry:

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

konradh wrote:checheche Wranglers, always out of stock on parts. :cry:
How r u dear Konrad????

I was waiting for the post from u commenting on jeeps hehehehehe, we all miss u man

and yeah best is get a Patrol and jump as u wish worry free LOL

konradh

Post by konradh »

khaiwi wrote:
konradh wrote:checheche Wranglers, always out of stock on parts. :cry:
How r u dear Konrad????

I was waiting for the post from u commenting on jeeps hehehehehe, we all miss u man

and yeah best is get a Patrol and jump as u wish worry free LOL
Yes, Khaiwi I miss you guys a lot. I keep watching the DVD I made which I also gave you and Iguana a copy of, the one when we went with the Jeep Club to Mussafah and all of us side sloping including Iguana. Man I miss those days.

Going back to the forum topic. Patrols never get their camber, toe, etc. broken we can do jumps and more jumps and nothing voila happens!

PATROLS RULES! PATROL POWER! :ad4x4: