Throttle Body Spacers

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
H3

Throttle Body Spacers

Post by H3 »

Quote: Courtesy of Hummer Forums

direct email responce from airaid:

Throttle Body Spacers (Primarily the "Helix" style):
These spacers do not provide any gains in HP at all. They claim to increase TQ and MPG but we tested one and it gained nothing. The Dyno showed no gains in HP or TQ. We also had contacted one of the manufacturers for their comments on them and here's the direct quote (from email):
--------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: AIRAID.COM Contact

Dear Sir, thank you for your inquiry in our products. The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end. If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to. You would not see any gains down the 1/4 mile or increases on the Dyno. The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage. In most cases when people install a bolt on part they expect better mileage and power, what happens is they are into the throttle a lot more than before trying to test performance and that's when the decrease in mileage happens.
Sincerely,
<Airaid Technician>
-------------------------------------------
Points to look at:

"The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end."

"If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to."

"The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage."
So...it doesn't make any more HP, is not supposed to help in 1/4 mile performance (or on the Dyno), and is mainly for mileage and bottom end Torque. Well, Dyno's show TQ figures and there were no changes, mileage stayed the same, and 1/4 mile performance wasn't affected on the several others who have tried it. End quote.

And I would have to agree, provided no improvement on my (ex) H3, quite simply a waste of money, this also goes for the locally made TBS which was more expensive than the AirAid I got from the US.

Any other opinions????

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

Same goes to jeep forums and dyno test they applied for it, i guess the TBS is all about the whistling and thats it.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

H3

Post by H3 »

megamoe wrote:Same goes to jeep forums and dyno test they applied for it, i guess the TBS is all about the whistling and thats it.
Exactly, call that QED then.

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

That is a nice information H3.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

TBS gives extra torque at low rpm mainly between 2000~3000 rpm. this scenario is true on medium size dunes. Regardles to the dyno and the total horsepower of the engine. I personally felt the difference after adding the TBS to my Jeep.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Batal
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Batal »

khaiwi wrote:TBS gives extra torque at low rpm mainly between 2000~3000 rpm. this scenario is true on medium size dunes. Regardles to the dyno and the total horsepower of the engine. I personally felt the difference after adding the TBS to my Jeep.

:iagree:

Regardless what the experts say about TBS, I felt the difference when I installed it :- in the engine power, quicker response and little fuel saving.

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

The TBS did slightly improve performance and gas mileage on my Jeep after I installed it. The performance improvement was consistent with a 2-3hp and 3-5lbft gain. The best torque gain was at low revs.
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Mozi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Mozi »

Simon, I have TBS and you use to think that it was factor of why my H3 flies :)

Mozi

H3

Post by H3 »

Mozi wrote:Simon, I have TBS and you use to think that it was factor of why my H3 flies :)

Mozi
Since had a rethink on that theory Mozi, tried both the Liberty MS and AirRaid TBS, along with the Volant intake and the Magnaflow cat back system. Very little improvement (almost non existent) at the low end of the revs ie. from idle until 3500rpm, the jump in performance (again small!) was not really until after 4750 to 5000rpm up till the red line.

So that said either I had a "sick" 3.5 Vortec from the start or there is something more than the TBS and cat back system fitted to your H3. :?

JustforFun
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by JustforFun »

Hi Folks - not been over here for a while - just moved house and had to wait forever for the internet to be done!!!!

:wink: Supercharger or wait for the V8 methinks.... still trying to decide!!

:woo:

Cheers
JFF