ECU Tuning, is it worth it?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

ECU Tuning, is it worth it?

Post by MegaMoe »

For those power lovers wither 4x4 or sporty cars, what do you think of ECU tuning, is it worth it? what shops u know in the UAE that can do it the right way.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

I know nobody for this and would not do it for several reasons:

- Find a knowledgable Mechanic who knows what ECUs are
- He should have a clear and sharp info about the engine specific parameters he is tuning
- Get the proper ECU (not a cheapo) that works well with the specific engine
- After all the extra power added, check if the drivetrain can take the extra load without breaking. This goes all the way from the gearbox, drive shafts, U-joints, diffs, axles etc.

After all modifying your cars is a personal preference and that was my 2 fils worth opinion hehehehehehe

"let me know if you do it properly so I can consider it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

flashin the ecu and re-mapping it has made a crazy difference on my bud's tj.
keeps up with most cars now and he has 35's and hasnt re-geared.
downside is it uses petrol like cray-zey.
if u have it done properly its a great idea.

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

i talked to those guys, and they sound like they know what they're doing, dyno test, ecu model number, car etc ...

http://www.chipcentric.net

i want to try it for my TT but afraid they might screw the Audi ECU which costs a fortune.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Chevy Silverado Z71

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

oh..for TT..try Digitec in dubai , al quoz ,somewhere near interchange 3 i think.

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

Kris wrote:oh..for TT..try Digitec in dubai , al quoz ,somewhere near interchange 3 i think.
http://www.digitecme.com

if you mean those man, they sound so unprofessional and they charge 5000 dhs! the cost of getting a NEW ecu tuned from Revo -leaders in Audi ECU chipping- shipped to the UAE wll cost me 3500 dhs! :lol:
Chevy Silverado Z71

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

u asked..

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

Kris wrote:u asked..
I know ya Kris, thank you man, i am just telling you they're theivs, evne their upgrade is chinese, i totally appreciate any feedback :wink:
Chevy Silverado Z71

Dee See

Post by Dee See »

To do mapping properly the engine and ecu have to be on a dyno rig. I had mine done in the UK after the engine was built and sent over here for fitting.

You can buy chips from boyracer magazines etc but again these should be installed by someone who's familiar with such things.
To get the best from petrol engine chips you should really change the cam. Again... I did this with my engine during the build spec. Mark Adams the V8 god re-mapped it and V8 Developements dialed in the ECU on a Dyno prior to flying the engine over to Dubai.
Deisel performance chips are much easier to pluggin...or even bi-passed with an alternate plug n play box.

The exception to this rule is with cars such as Evo's, scoobies etc that already have a wild cam fitted and the profiles of the cam are known to the writter of the chip/ECU.

I've seen these new readers that plug into the ECU's but I haven't played with on yet. Don't they alter certain values within a chips memory or something?...perhaps someone can shed some light on these.

Regards.

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Why do you guys want to do that. Once you play with engine mapping you will not get back to its original setting.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Dear Leader of the Pack. :D

I think a german based company ( like DigiTec ) should re-program the ECU for your TT because they normaly know what parameters can be changed without reducing the life of the engine too much.

If you really want to do it, do not go to the cheapest and expect wonders.

Because you are driving a german car i am sure that Jo, Mike, Tobias or me can check for you the appropriate websites to find the best solution for your TT Rocket.
Image <br><br>Image<br>

Cybershot
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cybershot »

Hey Moe

I am consider to buy a TT 2.0 TFSI for germany and I am follow some TT magazins in germany about ECU tuning. The things you can buy in the usual Tuning magazins get a bad rating in the tests and they are almost worthless. There are big diffenents from brand to brand and from engine to engine. OK, sensless to go around everything. You ask about the TT. For the turbo engine, in your case the 1.8L turbo it makes sens if you like to have 15-20% more power. Everything above is out of reality. The brands geting a good rating are MTM, ABT, and my farvorit oettinger.

Oettinger release a special consept that makes it posible to switch in different mappings.
-More touque
-More horse power
-Less fuel consumption
-And the best, they call it "son program" limited top speed 120
-Original audi mapping

You can switch the progams by using the cruse control.
I think this really makes sens and you can get the original mapping back anytime .

Price in germany was around 5000 Dir for the Box ( the original box get not touched ) + 300 Dir for each program

They say that every VW/ Audi workshop is able to fix the box with full guaranty from Oettinger.

Check here:

http://www.oettinger.de/index3.htm
http://www.mtm-online.de/en/index.php
http://www.abt-sportsline.de/Home.7.0.html?&L=1

I don't know they have a dealer here but I am in Germany end of august.

Now i remember that audi release a TT 1.8 sport with 225 HP by using nothing else then ECU tuning.

Hope it was helpfull

Tobias

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

thx alot guys, i really liked the idea of the box Tobias mentioned, will talk to you later about it.
Chevy Silverado Z71

kerMitt

hiiii

Post by kerMitt »

hii moe...

i wud strongly say no to tht coz i had a friend who had a mitsubishi magna 04 and u installed an ecu for 5000dhs the result was whn he reaches 220km the rpm goes to full and the car jst deosnt no wht to do any more.... after he stops the gauges keep going up and down...also had another friend who had a wrangler the sun of alfahiem himself put a new chip and coz of the chip the gauges were also going up and down and after 8months thr was a prolem with the engine...al jallaf couldnt even no wht the problem is thy changed the ecu to stock but still thr were problems.

hope tht was of any help good luck and dnt touch the audi...