MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Wranglers Lift Formulas, amazing post!

Post by MegaMoe »

from jeepforum.com

Common Lift Formulas

2" Lift Notes / Common Issues
Vibrations - Driveline vibrations are very very rare with a 2" lift but may occur. It is then recommended to install some washers to space out the t-case up to 1/4" to regain proper driveline angle and eliminate vibrations.

Tire Clearance - These lift combinations are a guide line, certaily larger tires "may" fit but I'm not going to recommend it. Some have fit 33x12.50's with just a 2" lift but after throughly looking at my TJ as well as many others with all sorts of different lifts I can't see how that is possible with out some kind of rubbing. The below combos will yeild zero rubbing if the recommendations are followed and allow good clearance between fenders, body, frame, and suspension at full steering lock and suspension compression. It's highly recommended that 4-4.5" back spacing be maintained for 11.5" wide tires.

NOTE: See photos at bottom for tire clearance issues.

Wheel Spacers - Make sure wheel spacers bolt to the hub, then have the wheels bolt to the spacer and are not simply sandwiched between wheel and hub. The latter does not allow enough threads on the wheel stud for stafety.

Body Lift - If a 1" body lift (BL) is used either the fan shroud must be relocated 1" lower on the radiator or a 1" motor moun lift (MML) is required.

A 1" BL installed at the same time as a 1" MML will negate the need to install the t-case linkage components of the BL.

WINCH - A winch + mounting plate / winch bumper can easily weight in excess of 120 lb. With this up front the nose of the Jeep will droop by approx. 3/4-1" and yield excessive body rake over what it comes with from the factory. If a winch is planned to be used consider getting HD 2" front lift springs instead of spacers at the minimum.

* Tiresizes may very from manufacturer to manufacturer within a typical size and therefore this post should be taken as a guide only.

2" Lift Type A
- 2" BB
- Any stock rim width / backspacing

Allows use of tires up to 31x10.50 with no rubbing. Swaybar "may" be disconnected.

2" Lift Type B
- 2" BB
- 1.25" wheel spacer
- 8" wide stock rim / backspacing

Allows use of tires up to 32x11.50 without rubbing assuming swaybar remains connected. (On-road use)

Tires 11.50" wide will stick out past stock fender flares by approx 1.5" on each side and have minimum of 1" clearance to the chassis and suspention components.

Aftermarket wheels with 4 - 4.5" of backspacing may be substituted for the 1.25" wheel spacers

2" Lift Type C
- 2" BB
- 1" BL
- 8" Stock rim width / backspacing

Allows use of tires up to 33x10.50 without rubbing assuming the swaybar remains connected. (On road use

2" Lift Type D
- 2" BB
- 1" BL
- 1.25" Wheel Spacers
- 8" wide stock rim / backspacing

Allows use of tires up to 32x11.50 without rubbing with the swaybar disconnected.

Allows use of tires up to 33x12.50 without rubbing assuming swaybar remains connected. (Onroad use)

Aftermarket wheels with 4 - 4.5" of backspacing may be substituted for the 1.25" wheel spacers

Recommendations
After running a 2" BB lift, 1" BL, and 32x11.50 tires and wheel spacers for the last 2 1/2 years I will offer the following recommendations:

Winch or No Winch - Decide now whether or not you want a winch. If you do not, a 2" BB will be just fine a provide a lot of use and value. However, if you will be getting the winch, spend the money now and get a 2" coil spring lift with HD front springs. Such a lift will better accomodate the weight of the winch up front a greatly reduce sagging.
Invest Now - If you can, invest up front in a very good lift. I opted for the 2" RE BB and it worked well for the first year but after the winch installation I needed to swap out the front spacers for 2" HD lift springs. Now my rear springs are sagging and need replacement, too. If you "know" you'll stick with a 2" lift then get a good 2" lift up front. If you think the 2" lift is just a transition lift until you go taller, then a BB is good. I wish I had gone with an OME lift and indeed it's on my upgrade plan for this winter's repair schedule.

more info on:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthre ... 201&page=3
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Nice one Moe. Thanks
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

defender
Advanced
Advanced