My Experience so far (Tire Installation)

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
HUSAM

My Experience so far (Tire Installation)

Post by HUSAM »

Dear AD 4x4 Members... I must apologize for not being able to make it on Friday on teh Anniverary trip. My Jeep had a defect where I had to return it on Wednesday for exchange. Will surely be there on the next trip. I'll check teh events pretty soon...

I had my share of experience following my questions about lifting th eJeep and this is what I found out and did:

1- I went to a ire garage to actualy go see how a 35, 12.2. 17 Tires would fit on my 2007 Wrangler 2007 and from the side fenders, there were 4 knuckles of clearance. But whenever you turn the front wheels, they hit the edges of teh front bumper.

2- I decided to see how it feels on putting stiffer springs. The stiffer springs made more clearance but the ride was very stiff.. Although I expected it, I urges myself to feel those suggestions. Didnt cost me much.

3- I replaced back my springs and since I wanted to change the bumpers, I decided to remove the front bumper. Surprisingly, it looks so good I do not want to put any bumper :)

4- So off Husam for a little test drive to see the natural clearance of teh side fenders and the results were amazing except for teh part I went over some heavy moggles on the beach. What happended is the rear left tire hit the fender causing it to break teh pins that hold it. No big deal, a few pins that will cost 11 AED each.

5- Other than that it was fine but have a feel I am at an edge and do not want to be restricted specially that now my shocks are new and when they get a little worn out it will be more bouncy. So my current issue is need a little more clearance for teh side fenders.

I thought of a lift but again didnt want to go through that expense unless I was looking at expensive places plus I didnt want to play with suspension or the body mods so I came across the following:

Xenon Flat Fender Style Flare Kit
For 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door
Quadratec Part No: 12510.600
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_600.htm

LOVELY.... They look good and they will give me the clearnace I want,,,

Any comment sand suggestions are much appreciated BUT I would like help on the hidden costs for Quadratic shipent and orders to Dubai. Will they shp direct to an address? Or I need to worry and deal with customs? How easy is it? and does AD 4x4 gets good prices from them?

They are listed at $519.99

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

Hey hussam,
nice research man, However, for the quadratec thing, yes we get good discount on the parts, But my only worry is the 35" thing, i just feel it's way too big for the ration you already have, i know they look cool and performs nicer but the power loss with stock ratio is not little...

Besides what you needto consider is the articulation of the vehicle on sand terrains, as even if the suspension is stiffer, the bouncy trails and dunes manoeuvers migh result your suspension to close more than it does on beach sands or on road (which is nothing)...

good luck bro. :wink:
Raptor Roush '14, running 37s

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

One thing more,
With your stock rig, you can easily fit a 32" agressive tires which will really give you better results that the 35" power wise, and also you won't have any issues with tire rubbing nor damaging the fenders :wink:

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Dear Husam,

The 35" are way too heavy, un-necessary excessive load on the axles and U-joints cause quick wearing, also lots of power loss with the stock Ring and Pinion ratio.

If I were you, I would settle down for 33" with the necessary mods to gain enough clearance, will go for stiffer suspension to cater for the desert (not the beach). Both bumpers and side steps need to be replaced/removed on the 07 Wrangler.

Pics of the Jeep with no bumpers plssssssssssss

As Miro said, we have special discount with Quadratec, they ship vie Fedex and deliver to your door and charge you whatever they pay for taxes and minimal premium fees.

All the best man.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

HUSAM

Post by HUSAM »

Thanks for the tips,

The bad news is that I already bought the tires and they r ON so no turning back. The Good news is that I already bought the tires and they r ON so no turning back :)

I would wanna discover with the fenders and see how it goes and if that is not enough clearance then, a body lift would be next.

How can I get the order done through the club? What is the process?

Pics are up in teh gallery.. hav fun... current pics were with the lift and al bumpers intact... I will post soon pics with original springs and missing fenders :twisted:

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

So congratulations and enjoy :wink:

You just need to give it a try in the desert and take it from there!!!
I have to say that the 35" looks great on the car, Mashallah, but the only disadvantage is the power loss which we really need your feedback on,

Congratulations again and enjoy your rig buddy :lol: :wink:

HUSAM

Post by HUSAM »

heya Miro... To be frank, I havent noticed power loss but that is becuase I havent had a time to push or get the Jeep on power situations to compare... What I wil be interested in is having you give it ride and tell m wat u think...

As for teh Quadratic discounts Miro, do you know if I ned to use an account number for discount or have to go thorugh a special process?

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

Hey Husam,
For quadratec, we usually do a group order all together through Khaiwi, each one of us prepares his list and khaiwi sends the inquiry and feed us back with everything else like shipment, prices ,etc....

As for your Ride, Of course bro., I'd love to see the new JK in action, But as we are all saying, ""your babe, your fun"" :wink:
What we would do is to head for a nice trip all together where you can test it up for real off-roadin' , we can sit around for a chat .....................and of course I'll take it for a spin :wink: :wink:

HUSAM

Post by HUSAM »

Thanks for teh feedback Miro.. Ill wait for Khaiwi to see when is the next possible order if any...

Doing more tests, I see that there is 4" clearance on a 35" tire to the fender on the rear side. Without the fender, I have 6. somethin inches. So thats 2 inches difference. sounds ok but looking at one of teh pics in teh anniversary trip; a white cherokee stuck in a dip; i see teh tires are pushed all teh way up on one side... that scares me,,,,

dont wanna see consequences of tires hittig the body anyore :)... I would love to compare with a current Jeep clerance that wil be ok but since my tires are thick, teh edge will hit the body and not dip inside teh bowl completely for more clreance...

Maybe a body lift as well will do it... 2 inches of it plus the fenders I saw which gives a more clearance...

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

No worries man,
That's exactly what me and khaiwi were talking about, while offroading, the articulation of the vehicle gets more and more agressive, making your suspension open more than usual but also close more than it usually does, As you were saying, in some situations , as the one you saw, the tire goes into the car due to the unbalanced terrain where the car is standing, Your rig is designed for a certain limit of articulation which is increased by your modifications like lift kit , etc... and gives the car more capability during rough terrain... :wink:

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

It looks nice man .. however ... i wouldnt recommend a body lift .. if your goin to stick to these tyres, you should get a minimum 3" lift kit as khaiwi said ... do it right from the begining and save your self the effort and money ... you'll also have to change the R/P ratio to 4.56 or 4.88

check the chart in this link for the ratio and its calculations:

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledge ... cle-26.htm

you can also find alot of stuff regarding the lift kit and the tyre size

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/

Good luck :wink:

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

those look like cooper stt's in your avatar Husam ?

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Husam, sorry to say you insist on doing things the wrong way, it seems that you have lots of money to spend and you don't care about your new car .. Come on man .. what are you doing to your Jeep :roll: :roll:

First of all, I didn't understand what do you mean when you said you added a stiff suspension :?: :?: did you just go to the people in Sharjah and ask them to change your suspension with something stiff??? This is 100% wrong and unsafe

Now you don;t want the expensive way in modification but you still insist on the 35s .. Well, to tell you the truth, you started the most expensive modification .. welcome to the club :lol: :lol:

Bidy lift, very bad idea ... Flat fender flares looks ugle and you will regret ... No bumper .. looks ugly ... So my advice is .. if you insist on the 35s then start the following:
- 3" lift kit to get the clearence
- You will need wider fender flares so go for the bushwacker
- Youw ill need an offroad bumper .. so many ideas and choices in quadratec
- Tire carrier, you axisting carrier does not take the weight of a 35 and will break your rear door.
- I don't know if the new wrangler still have the 6" rims or they now changed them to the 8" ones, if they still have the 6" then you need wider rims as you will face lots of tire pup outs while offroading.
- Ring and pinion ratios have to be changes to get the right torque, the car might be performing onroad but when you go offroad you will feel that you are driving a turtle (I don't know what will be the right setup for the new wrangler .. But we can check it on the net)
- CV and SYE should be also replaced to fix the drive shaft angle
- The existing axles does not support the weight of 35s so you need to have a re-inforcement (This is the sheapest way otherwise you need to change them)

Now you go my point .. The cheapest way is to sell your 35s and buy a new 32s you don't have to do any of the above then ... Good luck
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

:iagree: with his majesty or swap it with his car he will love to start again
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

FearUAE
Advanced
Advanced

Smart Approach . . . . . . !

Post by FearUAE »

Bulldozer wrote::iagree: with his majesty or swap it with his car he will love to start again
:twisted: