SSS's V8 swap project ... THE THUNDER is alive

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Re: SSS's V8 swap project ... NOT just another bubble! (anymore)

Post by SSS »

Sluggy babe is sleeping at home tonight :mrgreen:
The lucky parents took the little one this evening back home after some basic checkup.

A first test drive by me unveiled a slight rub of the steering linkage in some circumstances.
Dr. Hisham found the linkage to be rubbing against the radiator mounting bracket in the front ... and against the powersteering pump fitting which was slightly leaking as well.
Additionally he found a small coolant leak at the lower radiator release fitting.

So
- radiator relocated slightly
- power steering pump fitting grinded until penetrated ... then copper welded and smoothened to close the new leak :roll:
- radiator fitting rethreaded in with some teflon tape
- all tightened up real snug.

Then I took Sluggy for a 30 minutes ride home ... fast and then slow in city traffic.
Steering was great ... cooling was great below 210*F (100*C)... transmission oil temp stayed below 160*F all the time as well ...both fans (rad and transmission cooler) were cycling nicely! 8-)
Tomorrow then first thing in the morning I need to check for coolant and transmission oil spot below the parked car ...hopefully Sluggy is dry then :lol:

Other than that : it IS a different beast now ... scary at the beginning ... demanding respect later. And a deep low V8 rumble reminds me all the time : no need to stomp on the throttle ... a slight massage is plenty enough! :twisted: :mrgreen:

For sure some more slight child deseases might pop up later ... but I am optimistic :D

A/C and shifter indicator sensor still pending ... but soon!
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

Nice, congrats :D

mamoun
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mamoun »

congrats bro enjoy the ride :)
+971509988737
Stock JKU

Arabia
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Arabia »

NAHWAHOOOOOO !!!!
Very Cooooool !!!
JK 2010 A/T

Cell. number
050 621 29 32
BBM
21CC6D40
Exploring UAE - Overland

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

THANKS GUYS!

I need a new fitting at the power steering pump! :(
(Sluggy still needs diapers ... no trip this weekend!)

Fortunately the radiator is fine now ... 8-)

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

SSS wrote:For sure some more slight child deseases might pop up later ... but I am optimistic :D
They shouldn't if Dr. Hisham gives your child the necessary vaccinations. ;)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

DinoStroker wrote:
SSS wrote:For sure some more slight child deseases might pop up later ... but I am optimistic :D
They shouldn't if Dr. Hisham gives your child the necessary vaccinations. ;)
well ... I am very happy with Dr. Hisham's expertise so far and in general.
but as you can see (power steering pump fitting dripping) he is human as well ... I will order the right medicine (fitting) asap. :)

I will not do any off road trip with my Sluggy having a dripping nose/cold :lol:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Congratulations ! ... hoping that Dr. Hisham will be able to finally finish my car as well :/
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

MalteJK wrote:Congratulations ! ... hoping that Dr. Hisham will be able to finally finish my car as well :/
Hope so Malte....fingers crossed, good luck ;)
2008 - 2011 Hummer H3 Adventure (2008) 3.7L – Off & On Road
2011 - 2012 Hummer H3 Adventure (2008) 5.3L V8 Off & On Road
2012 - 2014 Hummer H3 Adventure (2008) 5.3L V8 On Road
2012 - Jeep Wrangler (2012) Off and On Road

Mobile 050 12 44 976
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:Congratulations ! ... hoping that Dr. Hisham will be able to finally finish my car as well :/
Last status I got from Hisham is that he was waiting for parts/money for your requested engine overhaul. (Are you ordering? Is he ordering?)
When was the last time you visited him? spoke to him?

My project took 7 weeks ... all parts were there ... but Walid, his brother, left end of July and came back couple days ago!
(So Hisham had to handle all the customers (some of them VIPs) and their chitchat all on his own in parallel to the so much needed supervision of the workers! :? )

Oh ... and I am still not 100% finished ... besides the power steering pump fitting seeping, today when I arrived at the office there was coolant splash in the engine bay ... grrrraaaaaah :x
When I checked I found a small hose coming from the steam port at the throttle body to the radiator passing the waterpump pulley in too close proximity ... the rubber was already "grinded" some? (Is there the leak? The workers had placed the intake tube in such a way, that the steam port hose got bent down ... they should have routed it from ABOVE the intake tube ... :roll: )

(besides the A/C work and the shifter sensor which is needed so badly to have working backup lights and park/neutral safety :( registration renewal test will fail just for the backup lights :? )

But it drives BAAADAAAAAAASSS and sounds AAAAAAAWESOOOME (only in the cabin loud(er) ... outside slightly deeper than a stock Silverado/Tahoe ... confirmed by several friends ;) ... and last night at 12:30am I passed a police car sitting in the parking with running engine waiting for some sinners ... I thought they could hear my heart pumping because of the silence outside at night ... they let me pass 8-) )
Last edited by SSS on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote:
Last status I got from Hisham is that he was waiting for parts/money for your requested engine overhaul. (Are you ordering? Is he ordering?)
When was the last time you visited him? spoke to him?
I was there last week - he got everything he needed from me - i asked if he needs something else from me now ... but he denied.
So on Saturday the parts for the engine overhaul will arrive and he'll continue i hope.
Good thing : now he knows how to wire the novak emulator :D ( he still has mine laying around) ...
SSS wrote: My project took 7 weeks ... all parts were there ... but Walid, his brother, left end of July and came back couple days ago!
(So Hisham had to handle all the customers (some of them VIPs) and their chitchat all on his own in parallel to the so much needed supervision of the workers! :? )
yes sure - i know ... and i know if i'd live in A.d. it would be much easier ... just go there every 2nd day and
make him work again on it ... Whenever i had the time to do so, there was a lot of progress suddenly :) ...
SSS wrote: Oh ... and I am still not 100% finished ... besides the power steering pump fitting seeping, today when I arrived at the office there was coolant splash in the engine bay ... grrrraaaaaah :x
When I checked I found a small hose coming from the steam port at the throttle body to the radiator passing the waterpump pulley in too close proximity ... the rubber was already "grinded" some? (Is there the leak? The workers had placed the intake tube in such a way, that this tube got bent down ... they should have routed it from ABOVE the intake tube ... :roll: )

(besides the A/C work and the shifter sensor which is needed so badly to have working backup lights and park/neutral safety :( registration renewal test will fail just for the backup lights :? )
Hope you get that sorted out quickly! I had several potential endangered hoses as well ...
In my car they managed to route the Radiator return pipe outside the frame ... :evil: crazy guys sometimes...
SSS wrote: But it drives BAAADAAAAAAASSS and sounds AAAAAAAWESOOOME (only in the cabin loud(er) ... outside slightly deeper than a stock Silverado/Tahoe ... confirmed by several friends ;) ... and last night at 12:30am I passed a police car sitting in the parking with running engine waiting for some sinners ... I thought they could hear my heart pumping because of the silence outside at night ... they let me pass 8-) )
hehe they were only watching for nissan badrolls and landcruiser i think.
Hope you can take it safely to the desert soon!

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote: ...
Good thing : now he knows how to wire the novak emulator :D ( he still has mine laying around) ...
uuhhhhmmm ... nope he still does NOT know :lol:
This was one of the things he did not want to touch ... so I did it myself last Saturday :twisted:

He kept insisting till the end that with some "smart" splicing of the GM tach out into the Jeep pcm as crank position signal and keeping playing with the GM pcm programming to change the value of pulses per revolution will magically produce the right display on the dash ... without side effects to the GM tune and not even reconsidering the pulse levels :roll: :evil: (The jeep pcm expects the CPS signal to be between 0 and 5(!) Volt whereas the tach signal out of the GM pcm is what?)

I have the impression Hisham does NOT like to do any electrical work close to the PCM ... especially one (Jeep) he does not know ... and he does not like reading wiring diagrams as well.

On a side note: You are running a different GM pcm than mine! And I don't know if your aftermarket GM harness has the tach signal out wire as well (to drive e.g. a aftermarket gauge ... needed by the Novak box!). Worst case the tach signal coming from YOUR GM pcm is digitally encoded into a serial prtotocol for a Body Control Module (BCM) to drive the dash. :?:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote:
This was one of the things he did not want to touch ... so I did it myself last Saturday :twisted:

He kept insisting till the end that with some "smart" splicing of the GM tach out into the Jeep pcm as crank position signal and keeping playing with the GM pcm programming to change the value of pulses per revolution will magically produce the right display on the dash ... without side effects to the GM tune and not even reconsidering the pulse levels :roll: :evil: (The jeep pcm expects the CPS signal to be between 0 and 5(!) Volt whereas the tach signal out of the GM pcm is what?)

I have the impression Hisham does NOT like to do any electrical work close to the PCM ... especially one (Jeep) he does not know ... and he does not like reading wiring diagrams as well.

On a side note: You are running a different GM pcm than mine! And I don't know if your aftermarket GM harness has the tach signal out wire as well (to drive e.g. a aftermarket gauge ... needed by the Novak box!). Worst case the tach signal coming from YOUR GM pcm is digitally encoded into a serial prtotocol for a Body Control Module (BCM) to drive the dash. :?:
yeah i know. The but the Speartech Harness does have the Tacho signal outputwire - at least i believe i saw it... :)
Hisham told me that the signal is not really accurat and a bit unstable ... is that true ?

Btw. Afaik the tach signal coming from my GM pcm is analog... because most GM clusters specially conversions use analog gauges :)
so i'm on the safe side.

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:
SSS wrote:

yeah i know. The but the Speartech Harness does have the Tacho signal outputwire - at least i believe i saw it... :)
Hisham told me that the signal is not really accurat and a bit unstable ... is that true ?

Btw. Afaik the tach signal coming from my GM pcm is analog... because most GM clusters specially conversions use analog gauges :)
so i'm on the safe side.
Great! ( :oops: forgot you have a Speartech harness as well)
GM tach signal out analog means most likely Hishams method will not work anyway ... CPS sensors usually deliver a pulse (which is not square of course) which is only varying in frequency.

Re accuracy ... yes there is a ~300rpm jump sometimes at idle ONLY (verified that!) ... but I do not care much:
1. the tach needle moves too fast anyway to have a accurate objective reading at a certain point in time :lol:
2. Hisham was saying it is showing constantly 400rpm too much ... not true ... I checked with reader ... he forgot I have regeared probably :D
3. if I need a really accurate rpm reading during debugging/tuning I have my torque pro with elm327 Bluetooth module running ...
4. 99.5% of the time I am just driving and do not need the accuracy or the reading at all. My driving style is far from the red line anyway :mrgreen:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote: Great! ( :oops: forgot you have a Speartech harness as well)
GM tach signal out analog means most likely Hishams method will not work anyway ... CPS sensors usually deliver a pulse (which is not square of course) which is only varying in frequency.

Re accuracy ... yes there is a ~300rpm jump sometimes at idle ONLY (verified that!) ... but I do not care much:
1. the tach needle moves too fast anyway to have a accurate objective reading at a certain point in time :lol:
2. Hisham was saying it is showing constantly 400rpm too much ... not true ... I checked with reader ... he forgot I have regeared probably :D
3. if I need a really accurate rpm reading during debugging/tuning I have my torque pro with elm327 Bluetooth module running ...
4. 99.5% of the time I am just driving and do not need the accuracy or the reading at all. My driving style is far from the red line anyway :mrgreen:
Yes regarding the tacho signal he is insisting on that he's able to reprogram the output signal and connect the gm pcm to the can bus...
i don't think that this will work ... in the end i guess i have to try it myself... ( maybe you can lend me a hand on that :mrgreen: ) .
For the accuracy for sure i've always my scangauge connected ... which shows temperatures and rpm much more accurat. It was a real lifesaver more then once already... But having a working dashboard would be nice :D as well ...

And for sure with the v8 there will not be that much need for redlining anyway :D - more or less its about idling now over the dunes :P

c.b.