Project economic JK

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Project economic JK

Post by Xof »

Malte, very impatient to see you tomorrow morning... :D what better place to test it than LIWAAAAA!!!

if there is any problem, drop me a SMS though :lol:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Yes indeed there's one problem which i need to solve with the gauges.
But it's not the odometer or the speed gauge... it is the rpm gauge.

This is due to the fact, that the crankshaft sensor on the jeep has a pulse modulated (hall effect) signal with constant amplitude and length but varying frequency. GM's ls3 has a analogue output.

So i will create a small converter for this signal. Just waiting for hisham to give me details for the output voltage and needed input signal specs ... :-) ...

For the power : I read a lot about the 6,1 Hemi - and a lot of people say that it's lacking power in the lower band although it is a rocket > 3000+ rpm's ...

The ls3 has variable valve timing and features cam phasing - so it has good lower AND upper powerband performance ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing for details on VVT )

but wow 80.000 is a bit too much... i mean ok after i have changed the axles, transfercase & driveshafts ... i might be in that region already ...

@Xof i'll test the car today intensively on & offroad :)
And yes ... there's no better place then LIWAAAA i guess ...

And sure if there's a problem, i sms you.
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

latief
Advanced
Advanced

Post by latief »

Congratulations man! Finally....

dude, but do you really want to test your investment in liwa? join a regular local trip first until you iron-out any quirks or issues.. towing it back to Abu Dhabi form on the top of a big dune in liwa is going to be an issue if something goes wrong....heck, if i were you, i would test in the city for a week or so before even going near sand....but that is just me.... :roll:

either way, take pictures and videos. we are all waiting to see :D :D Mabrouk!
2008 Wrangler JK
056-7148747

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

No worries - i'll test in the sand before i go to liwa.

And the liwa trip is not hardcore ... it's just a smooth ride :-)

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:Yes indeed there's one problem which i need to solve with the gauges.
But it's not the odometer or the speed gauge... it is the rpm gauge.

This is due to the fact, that the crankshaft sensor on the jeep has a pulse modulated (hall effect) signal with constant amplitude and length but varying frequency. GM's ls3 has a analogue output.

So i will create a small converter for this signal. Just waiting for hisham to give me details for the output voltage and needed input signal specs ... :-) ...

For the power : I read a lot about the 6,1 Hemi - and a lot of people say that it's lacking power in the lower band although it is a rocket > 3000+ rpm's ...

The ls3 has variable valve timing and features cam phasing - so it has good lower AND upper powerband performance ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing for details on VVT )

but wow 80.000 is a bit too much... i mean ok after i have changed the axles, transfercase & driveshafts ... i might be in that region already ...

@Xof i'll test the car today intensively on & offroad :)
And yes ... there's no better place then LIWAAAA i guess ...

And sure if there's a problem, i sms you.
Tach emulator for JK ( swapping in a Gen3+ LS) check Novak E-TX63 http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/elec ... ulator.htm
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

latief wrote:Congratulations man! Finally....

dude, but do you really want to test your investment in liwa? join a regular local trip first until you iron-out any quirks or issues.. towing it back to Abu Dhabi form on the top of a big dune in liwa is going to be an issue if something goes wrong....heck, if i were you, i would test in the city for a week or so before even going near sand....but that is just me.... :roll:

either way, take pictures and videos. we are all waiting to see :D :D Mabrouk!
fully agree
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

MalteJK

Project economic JK

Post by MalteJK »

Yes I'm out got some problems - so it 's better to stay away from liwa until all is solved.

c.b.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

MalteJK wrote:Yes I'm out got some problems - so it 's better to stay away from liwa until all is solved.
i read this, so i believe you are not coming... sad... another time, for sure!
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

MalteJK

Project economic JK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote:
Tach emulator for JK ( swapping in a Gen3+ LS) check Novak E-TX63 http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/elec ... ulator.htm
Nice! How come i've not found that One. Thanks a Lot chafik

c.b.

grzegorz

Post by grzegorz »

MalteJK wrote:I'm out got some problems
Any details? Whats happen?

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

The transmission went to limb mode after starting the car again, resetting the pcm helped with that until the next start...
Also to get it started after that it needs like 10times starting to run halfway smooth ...

When it was running, it was running powerful and ok .. but when not :/ ...

And today i planned on doing a really small offroad trip in badayer ... i did not even made it there :( .
The fan didn't engage and the car was overheating - so it took like 10liters coolant ...
It was running then ok back to dubai - but when i was starting it again in the evening, to get it home ... it lost again some coolant but now from a different place and not because of overheating ...

So tomorrow morning - i'll call the recovery to bring it back to hisham and will stay there the whole day :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Because i feel when i'm staying there they're a bit more focussed :D

But the good sites as well :
The engine is really mean - and very loud (will need an extra muffler :twisted: ) ...
The acceleration between 100-160 is like it was before between 0-60 km/h ... i'm not eager to try out how fast it can go ... but on 175 it was shifting into the 5th gear ... ( i've 6 ) ...
But Regearing is planned ... (4.56) ...
... and i think i will replace some axles with nissan axles.
But first i need to find out about the rumours ... they say there's a nissan rear axle, which is easily adoptable for the JK with a 47 spline whatever this is ... it's too good to be true - but if it has only 35-40 it is still way better then the D44 (stock) and has a big Differential as well, so it is the D60+ class (very solid housing & thick tubes as well + good price) ...

And my right outer knuckle is bent ... the right wheel is not even anymore :( - so i've to do the replacement soon - as
well there's a grinding sound in the axle i think - maybe the diff is already going to say goodbye :o
Will check this as well ...

Ok - conclusion : maybe i was a bit over excited after 4,5 month without a car ... let's say i'm near the finishing line of stage 1
(engine) ... and coming fast to stage 2 ( the rest of the drivetrain in HD & enforced )

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:The transmission went to limb mode after starting the car again, resetting the pcm helped with that until the next start...
Also to get it started after that it needs like 10times starting to run halfway smooth ...

When it was running, it was running powerful and ok .. but when not :/ ...

And today i planned on doing a really small offroad trip in badayer ... i did not even made it there :( .
The fan didn't engage and the car was overheating - so it took like 10liters coolant ...
It was running then ok back to dubai - but when i was starting it again in the evening, to get it home ... it lost again some coolant but now from a different place and not because of overheating ...

So tomorrow morning - i'll call the recovery to bring it back to hisham and will stay there the whole day :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Because i feel when i'm staying there they're a bit more focussed :D

But the good sites as well :
The engine is really mean - and very loud (will need an extra muffler :twisted: ) ...
The acceleration between 100-160 is like it was before between 0-60 km/h ... i'm not eager to try out how fast it can go ... but on 175 it was shifting into the 5th gear ... ( i've 6 ) ...
But Regearing is planned ... (4.56) ...
... and i think i will replace some axles with nissan axles.
But first i need to find out about the rumours ... they say there's a nissan rear axle, which is easily adoptable for the JK with a 47 spline whatever this is ... it's too good to be true - but if it has only 35-40 it is still way better then the D44 (stock) and has a big Differential as well, so it is the D60+ class (very solid housing & thick tubes as well + good price) ...

And my right outer knuckle is bent ... the right wheel is not even anymore :( - so i've to do the replacement soon - as
well there's a grinding sound in the axle i think - maybe the diff is already going to say goodbye :o
Will check this as well ...

Ok - conclusion : maybe i was a bit over excited after 4,5 month without a car ... let's say i'm near the finishing line of stage 1
(engine) ... and coming fast to stage 2 ( the rest of the drivetrain in HD & enforced )
Oh je ... knuckle bent? I assume the FRONT!
Front diff grinding/going?
Why? You had no chance to go into 4wd yet!!??
If you are talking about the REAR ... then OH JEMINEEEE !!! D44 already toasted? uiiuiuiuiui :shock:

If you are going to upgrade your axles ... make sure the pumpkin is not toooooo big for your tires, or you need to go 35" :?

450 hp ARE MORE than your stock axles can take ...

You need a built HD D44 (chromolys, gussets, sleeves, truss, stronger carrier, HQ r&P) for the front...
and a D60 class axle for the rear ...
If the Nissan axles fit, cool. Wildfire has them underneath his XJ already ... I am really curious about the WIDTH!
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote: Oh je ... knuckle bent? I assume the FRONT!
Front diff grinding/going?
Why? You had no chance to go into 4wd yet!!??
If you are talking about the REAR ... then OH JEMINEEEE !!! D44 already toasted? uiiuiuiuiui :shock:
yes its ONLY the front ... the D44 rear is holding up bravely ;) ...
Still at least :D - and yes these HD44 Front plans exist ... (Seamutt recipe ;) )

My plan was after having all upgraded (even the front to a 35 spline and enforced and everything to maybe
try out 37''' .. but this is a loooong way to go .. needs higher lift, trimming and and and and ).
SSS wrote:
If you are going to upgrade your axles ... make sure the pumpkin is not toooooo big for your tires, or you need to go 35" :?

450 hp ARE MORE than your stock axles can take ...
exactly ... i have to do something ... so the nissan axle for the rear is really a good & tempting option.
For the front it's a bit more difficult ...
I can get a nissan axle for the front as well - but this means also changing the transfer case because the nissan front
has a passenger side diff ... now i'm going to check if my new headers will allow putting the front driveshaft on the other side.

SSS wrote: You need a built HD D44 (chromolys, gussets, sleeves, truss, stronger carrier, HQ r&P) for the front...
and a D60 class axle for the rear ...
If the Nissan axles fit, cool. Wildfire has them underneath his XJ already ... I am really curious about the WIDTH!
Yes - the rumours say it's about +1,5 inch per side ... so ... some wider fenders ... and done :D
But i'll check the details.

c.b.

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

Hope to see it soon running healthy......... :)

grzegorz

Post by grzegorz »

So there is no chance to see it on Sunday at work?